Browns Mountain

SEAFEARER

Guy's,with the yellowfin getting about at the moment i was wondering if my boat is big enough to go there.I have a seafarer viking 18ft.I have a 115ltr. fuel tank. Outboard is a 115hp 2 stroke johnson 1998 model.How far is it exactly to Brown's. gps marks would be appreciated if you think my boat is big enough.

hey im not the most experienced fisho but i think it should be ok . ive got a crusie craft hustler 570 (5.7 metres long) and ive been out to the peak reef a few times and i was fine and in a month im looking at heading out to the shelf . so u should be ok

hey im not the most experienced fisho but i think it should be ok . ive got a crusie craft hustler 570 (5.7 metres long) and ive been out to the peak reef a few times and i was fine and in a month im looking at heading out to the shelf . so u should be ok

thanks mate if weather good on the weekend were thinking of heading out

ok have fun . and let us know how u go and if u get any gps markings please pass them on . the only other things i can say is and ive learnt from experience is listen to the charter boats on the cb radio and watch the wind.. i was out at the peak once and i heard on the cb that there was a strong wind comming up from down south and by the time we pulled our lines in and got going it was on us and we had a hell of a bad time comming back to botany bay :1fishing1:

Thats a long way to travel in a 18ft boat to Browns Mountain. If you can have another boat accompany you it should give you some peace of mind.

If the weather turns bad its a long way to get back to port in a 18ft boat and in bad weather and a days fishing fuel may be short.

Try to have a buddy boat or boats as a group trip till you feel confident with the range and capability of your boat.

Cheers

HI Mate, Browns is about 37kms from Botany Bay Heads and around 42kms from PJ Heads, i go out there sometimes in 4.75m alum, i normally will use around 100 letres fuel on my 70hp yammy, thats including a few hours trolling.

Here are the co-ordinates

34.02.200S

151.39.500E

When going out make sure you have a working radio, flares, epirb and make sure you check all the weather reports, you dont want to get stuck out there if the wind changes and picks up.

On the weekends there are plenty of boats out there so if you got into trouble a flare would get you assistance but on weekdays you might be the only boat out there.

As mentioned if you can buddy up with another boat it will give you peace of mind.

you dont have to head all the way to browns to get some yellow fins, the shelf is around 27km out and you can get plenty there, just keep an eye out for the birds

Good luck and let us know how you go

Edited by netic
  • Like 1

My dads got a seafarer victory 6m.It's got a 150hp motor and a 150 ltr tank.We've gone out to browns quite afew times and found it to be a top boat.As mentioned earlier make sure you have all the safety gear and learn how to use it.We've got an epirb,sat phone(as we found the radio unreliable),flares,life jackets,sea anchore,etc.This might sound like alot but it's better to be safe then sorry when over 40kms out.

We also carry two 20ltr spare fuel cans just in case we hook a big one and have to chase it or the weather turns.We also fish the bottom and sometimes the boat needs to be kept in gear to hold the bottom which can suck alot of fuel.Also the weather can turn really quickly at browns.One time it took us just over an hour to get out,while we were out a wsw change came through(which wasn't supposed to come acording to the weather reports) and it was a very rough three and a half hour ride back.Another point which is sometimes overlooked is the battery.During dry periods battery cells can dry out over time which damages the battery.

So every couple of months check the water levels and fill if required(with distilled water)and charge,you don't want to be out there and have your battery die.

So after all that pick a good day,check the weather,check your gear and you should have top day with hopefully lots of big fish.

Spooled again, I dont mean to sound patronisng so please dont take it that way but if your asking this question then you are not ready to go out to Browns by yourself. The first trip to Browns is a very daunting experince, you cant see land and get disorinatated easily Iwould highly recomend you get your sea legs at places like the Peak and the 12 mile before taking on Browns. When your confident at these places and your boating skills i.e how to log on with the coast gaurd, using safety gear (in an emergancey situation), boat handiling skills etc then take on Browns with a buddy boat. Belive me I learnt the hard way with my old boat sinking in 30seconds flat almost killing me and two mates. Luckily I was only 5ks out to sea and got picked up by a passing boat. What haunts me is the week before I was at browns and came across makos with dorsal fins the size of a boogy board. If it happend there I wouldnt be writing this now Id be DEAD

cheers Phil

Spooled again, I dont mean to sound patronisng so please dont take it that way but if your asking this question then you are not ready to go out to Browns by yourself. The first trip to Browns is a very daunting experince, you cant see land and get disorinatated easily Iwould highly recomend you get your sea legs at places like the Peak and the 12 mile before taking on Browns. When your confident at these places and your boating skills i.e how to log on with the coast gaurd, using safety gear (in an emergancey situation), boat handiling skills etc then take on Browns with a buddy boat. Belive me I learnt the hard way with my old boat sinking in 30seconds flat almost killing me and two mates. Luckily I was only 5ks out to sea and got picked up by a passing boat. What haunts me is the week before I was at browns and came across makos with dorsal fins the size of a boogy board. If it happend there I wouldnt be writing this now Id be DEAD

cheers Phil

good advice mate, hearing things like that definately make a person think twice, i think the buddy up system is the best and safest method of going anywhere offshore

good advice mate, hearing things like that definately make a person think twice, i think the buddy up system is the best and safest method of going anywhere offshore

Just as Phi has stated ,there are indeed a lot of big bities out in that area chasing the Tuna schools and Mr Mako is a formidable adversary at any time :1yikes: You do not wanna play with them in anything under 6 mtr boat and even then it can be a bit dicey .This area is not for silly games or heroics and should only tackled by the very experienced,

I once saw two 16 foot open tinnies /tiller steers out there :1yikes: that is a recipe for disaster .

The weather can come from the land at this time of year in the form of westerlies ,great trip out wohooooooo.

THEN IT REACHES THIRTY OR EVEN 40 KNOTS AND BY THE TIME YOU REALISE IT ,ITS TOO LATE

Even in a sizable half cabin you will be in for a really rough ride back in for many hours

Cheers Swordfisherman

My advice would be go with the Big Boys like The Ross Hunters of this world who know exactly what they are doing if you dont have a big enough vessel

An idea I would like to float around is would the more experienced fisho's be prepared to guide/lead an expedition out to Browns ?

We can ensure a level of safety by setting a baseline for safety equipment, we can co-ordinate the coast guard to be aware and also a minimum on boat size and how many people per vessel.

If we cn also wrangle in someone with a large vessel/s to control regular radio scheds/safety checkins and monitor weather for all crafts, and they have the final say !

there seems to be a lot of raiders wanting to venture out but are not confident to go out on their own. yes browns might be busy with all the raiders there but better it be packed that being there on your own !

Just an idea, raiders what do you think !!

I have a 6M quinny spec'd for open water and all safety equipment, I have not been to Browns but have been out multiple times at port stephens chasing marlin 70Km and further. I would be happy to help other raiders if this gets off the ground.

Also it must be said that at the end, your own safety is still your own responsability other boats will be there for help and support but if you do not want to go out then don't !

Thanks

Peahead.

im a big believer in being experienced enough to go out there.

I never forget Anzac Day this year when i went out chasing dollies in 2.5metre swell in my 4.75 alum. The south westerly kicked in and i was lucky to get back in, it took me well over an hour to get back in from 8.5km's out, could only imagine how long it would have taken from browns.

You have to know how to handle your boat in rough conditions, most boats over 5 metres can handle rough water if the right person is at the helm.

Browns is very far and if some bad weather kicks in a great fishing trip can turn into disater very fast

Guest Big-Banana

Tis a long way home in a blow...

Generally speaking, I dont care what boat you have, if its too rough dont try it. Sea will always win.

Gday Guys,

Just recently Registered on here.

I'm not a Sydney Local but I try and fish Browns Mountain at least once a month. I've got a 6.16 metre Arvor 20. If the winds blowing over 13 knots I give it a miss. Over the years I've fished it many of times and still to this day I still get the shakes. One time in particular brings back memories was back at Christmas time when myself and a few others were caught in a 30 knot North Easterly which kicked up out of nowhere and made it a 5 hour nightmare coming back into the Harbour....Steve :05: