Best Line For The Beach

union

Whats the best line for the beach, i find that a strong abrasive mono line is way to thick for casting and sags because of its weight and is moved too much by the waves.

I was thinking a 30lb braided, but i heard the sand could break the line because of poor abrasion?

I use 25 pound maxima MONO and find it great...its good for casting if you know what your doing. However in saying that if i put 30 pound braid i could cast a fair bit further. but i dont think braid would last very long dragging along the bottom and snags...i reckon mono is the go for surf and rock fishin...

I use 15kg Fireline off the beach & it's great. The only time I had it break on me was at the Entrance social when I hooked a massive clump of weed. Swordfisherman also got busted up by weed & he was using mono. When there is that much weed around you don't want to be fishing anyway.

Apart from that I never had a problem with it. Casts great & doesn't get dragged around in the shoredump.

Cheers,

For Beach or surf fishing how many meters of line do you really need???

I was thinking of putting Braided line to my Shimano BTR 4500B, but change my mind and i am using 15LB Mono from Daiwa Sealine, just wondering would that be enough???

At the moment i think it's around 300 meters, should i change it to 20LB Mono???

Cheers :)

Whats the best line for the beach, i find that a strong abrasive mono line is way to thick for casting and sags because of its weight and is moved too much by the waves.

I was thinking a 30lb braided, but i heard the sand could break the line because of poor abrasion?

From my experience, either braid or mono is good in the surf. Personal preference, I guess. Maybe someone who has extensively used each could shed some more light on the topic.

Flattieman.

I use 'em both - 30lb fireline for Jews (unsuccesfull so far) and 20lb Berkely Trilene for general-purpose beach fishing (very successful).

Personally would recommend 15 - 20lb mono for an all-purpose beach outfit. You can go super-light if you want but it'll come back to bite you when you want to chuck a big star sinker out on a rough day. Braid is just as good I'm sure but is three times the cost and not as forgiving when fighting soft-mouthed fish like whiting. Also, I have found that braid can fray when using a running sinker rig.

Guest lbgking

30lb Mono is the go.

I switch from rock to beach fishing. So it suits both my requirements (and budget).

Also, I have found that braid can fray when using a running sinker rig.

Try running about 10-15 feet of mono that's a bit heavier than your mainline braid Mondo. The sinker runs on it & not the braid. Attatch the braid & leader as you would when fishing light s.p's.

I used mono off the beach for years but after switching to braid I'd never go back.

Cheers,

Edited by Jewhunter