Salmon, Bonitos And Tailor Out Of Sydney

netic

Hey all,

Well as planned went fishing early this morning, upon waking up checked the reports and they said a westerly was blowing, taking into account that it was the exact same report as last week we decided to not head to the shelf and decided to see if we could have some fun with the salmon out of Sydney heads.

Got out and started to troll south using bibbed minnows, about 2 kms down got a double hook up on 2 bonito's, both were around the 40cm mark, keep on trolling and then got a few tailor around the 50cm mark.

Then just before the bondi point got a triple hook up on Salmon all over 60cm.

Trolled back and got another 2 salmon and then decided it was time for some brekky, went and ate at the new Clifton cafe and got back out there and thats when the action started.

Around 5kms down from south head we got hit by another 2 salmon, decided to stay around there and we got well over 50 salmon, largest being 65-70 cm, they wouldnt stop, the minnow wouldnt be in for more then 10 seconds before getting hit, we had easily over 10 triple hook ups. Then at around 11.00am the bonito turned up again along with some tailor and we were randomly getting either one within seconds of the lure entering.

It was amazing and we all had some pretty good fun, the strange thing was they were all coming up from the bottom, zero surface activity and as the boat went over them we could see them on the sounder and then within a few seconds they would strike.

We decided the call it a day at around 1.00pm as we were all salmoned out, my mates wanted to take home 10 or so salmon along with all the bonito and tailor so we had around 20 fish in the boat with well over 40 release.

Recap was 9 Bonito between 35-45cms

6 Tailor between 45-50cm

Well over 50 salmon between 55-70cm

more pics

Well done netic good report,and top

day by the look and sound of it

:beersmile: penguin

Did ya keep all the Salmon?

Says in the report they kept 10

:beersmile: penguin

Edited by penguin

took home around 10 as the report states, it looks like more because there is 3 blocks of pilles i bought yesterday at the bottom of the box which were meant to be used for cubing

Penguin

yeah it was mate, the westerly was blocked by the cliffs, was quite calm

Edited by netic

I was using rapalas, CD7's i think they are, but i also had some cheapo's $6 strike pro's i get from my local tackle shop, they also got smashed, anything with a blue/purple colouring was getting hit.

one thing i forgot to mentioned was the fact that some of the salmon's fighting was very uncharacteristic, they were running deep , i heard some reports of possible reported kings due to deep bust off's but i think they were salmon, they were fighting like kings just not with the same strength.

Also when you troll for them got very close to the rocks, there was a boat that were staying around 50 metres away and they got nothing. They were all within the wash the rocks create.

I was using rapalas, CD7's i think they are, but i also had some cheapo's $6 strike pro's i get from my local tackle shop, they also got smashed, anything with a blue/purple colouring was getting hit.

Thanks alot, heading out 2moro, hopefully will get a portion of what you did!

:1crybaby::1crybaby::1crybaby:

I was going to head out to the harbour today too!

but..... ended having a big night last nite and was a bit under the weather today :(

ended up staying home :thumbdown:

exactly the same situation for me, only my mates pulled out on me causing an all night drinking spree.

damn it.

great catch netic awsome sambos. did you pick any up on metal slices, if so what sizes were they taking.

cheers.

THAT is just awesome - what a day you guys had. :yahoo::1yikes:

Imagine how many Salmon must have been there if you boated over 50..... :1yikes:

Top report mate.

Cheers,

I could only imagine how many were there, we left when they were still hot, im positive if we stayed we could have caught well over 100.

Outnumbered

Mate a couple of times they did give the arms a good go, they are great fun but i still definately prefer kings, but i must say that the few they went deep i really enjoyed.

Kingies till i die

great catch netic awsome sambos. did you pick any up on metal slices, if so what sizes were they taking.

cheers.

Mate didnt try the slices as the minnows were working so well we didnt have any need. but as i mentioned we didnt see any of them on the surface anyway.

Edited by netic

Guest madsmc

Top day out Netic. Glad to see someone having a good session and nabbing a feed as well. :thumbup:

You're not wrong about the wind forecast. I didn't manage to get out for a fish until after lunch time on Sunday, and by then it was a very stiff breeze. :badair::frozen::thumbdown:

Shane

:1fishing1:

Hey, I'm totally new to the fishing scene, just bought a boat so I could fish!

Was wondering where abouts did you catch all those fish? South of South Head? And how far in are you into the ocean?

i was south of south head, i was very close to the rocks, probably within 20 metres,

if you are new to boating i recommend you dont go that close though as sometimes the swell can be unpredictable and may push your boat too close to the rocks.

A few of the points south of south head can create big waves and yesterday i saw a boat that nearly got taken by a large wave that formed out of nowhere. Observe well before you venture too close.

:thumbup: Top catch Netic! That's a classic winters day fishing trip.. no Trev's under the Sambo's mate? Geez I'm stinging to get out and have a bash, am glad the world cup is over :yahoo:

mate i didnt even try for trevs to be honest i was just trolling non stop up and down,

Thanks for the tip, I'll probably stay away for a while then since I am new to boating! Know any spots where its safe and possibly catch some decent fish?

mate probably a smart move, as CFD said these waves can be extremely dangerous.

If you lucky you might see the school working around the heads, just keep an eye out for the birds

Guest Dont Shoot Da Chinamen

Sh!tload of salmon around today , sadly feeding on eyes, made for a VERY frustrating day, landed just 1 of the troll..but thats fishing eh

i wana go fishing :1crybaby::1crybaby::1crybaby: !

Edited by Dont Shoot Da Chinamen