Sow And Pigs

Bloo62

Launched at Tunks Pk and headed out to troll along North Head. Had 2 hook ups, lost one and got the other to the boat, but 5m away it pulled the hook. :05: It was a Kingy about keeper size, so was pretty annoyed! Nothing doing after that, I chatted to another fisho I knew out there who had caught a couple of Salmon on flies. Heap of birds out there, but not much happening.

So off to Sow and Pigs. Anchored up, burley out and got into a batch of trevally and jackets. Not too much size, but the bigger trevs went ok on 6lb braid. First time I have tried berleying up by dropping a 4" PVC pipe drilled with holes. Screw lid on top. Filled it with berley, old pils etc and away we went. Never had that much success there before. I assume it was the berley. Anyone ever tried this method??? Final tally, 13 Trevs, 9 Jackets. :thumbup:

No pics forgot the blasted camera!!

The kids were having a good time on prawns, so I thought I would try some SP's. 2" pumpkin seeds seem the go, so I had bought some. Lo and behold, 2-3 trev's took them - my firest ever fish on plastic. Had a couple of nibbles on them and retrieved to find plastic gone, but hook still there. Funny thing was when we were cleaning the jackets back at the ramp I found the bitten off plastics in their stomachs! Sure enough, pumpkinseeds there they were! Has anyone ever caught jackets on SPs??

Well, one of the better days, will have to try the berley and SP method again soon.

Bloo

Nice report, bloosgottaboat. Good to hear that you landed your first fish on SPs. Leatherjacket are normally seen as huge pests when fishing with softies because they take chunks out of the plastics and usually render lures useless, but I'm sure people have caught them.

Flattieman.

sounds like a top day out mate, i can remember the buzz i got catching my first fish on soft plastics, it was a big pike from memory, great stuff.

the leatheries seem to do as flattieman says and thats destroy anything that touches the water, never got one myself on plastic but a mate has.

all in all sounds like a great day on the harbour shame bout the kingie but there is always next time and all summer to put a dent in them.

cheers.

Yes, they are certainly a pain, but damm good eating!

Just wrapped the trevs up in foil - lime, coriander, salt pepper. Just about to pop them in the oven......

Fish and a coldie, does it get any better??

Bloo