Which Sealer For Drill Holes

netic

HI guys,

I'm installing an new finder to my boat this week and was wondering what is the best sealant to put around the drill holes where the transducer goes??

Any help would be appreciated.

HI guys,

I'm installing an new finder to my boat this week and was wondering what is the best sealant to put around the drill holes where the transducer goes??

Any help would be appreciated.

hello netic

i just asked my partner he said use stickerflex,i think thats how you spell it, that stuff is really good

baker

Hi Netic,

You need to use a Silicone that won't hurt the alloy and this one wont.

Selleys Roof & Gutter Silicone Sealant - Translucent

It comes in a 310gm cartridge , one of those that fits into a dispenser gun with the trigger, the cartridge is blue on the front with green writing , green on the back.

I use this on my boat and have it around the screw holes on my transducer bracket. It's been there for 10 months - no leaks or problems at all.

Cheers

David.

Hi Netic, if you want Sikaflex or Duralac I have a tube already opened that you can use.

Use what you want and return the rest whenever.

Let me know if you want it.

cheers

Thanks for the offer mate, but i think i will buy a tube as im sure it will come in handy for other things

Guest lbgking

Thanks for the offer mate, but i think i will buy a tube as im sure it will come in handy for other things

If you were to drop into Hudsons at 84 Smithfield Rd, Edensor Park a bald gentleman by the name of Tyson may give you a tube. :whistling:

Hi Netic,

Try Duralac Jointing Compound, you can get it from most chandlery outlets.

It is the best stuff in that type of situation.

LW

Duralac is designed for use in situations where you have stainless steel in contact with aluminium and it reduces any chance of corrosion between the dissimilar metals. At least that's what I always thought??

Duralac is designed for use in situations where you have stainless steel in contact with aluminium and it reduces any chance of corrosion between the dissimilar metals. At least that's what I always thought??

Yep, that is correct you should always use Duralec when putting dissimilar metals in contact with each other. I am not sure what sort of boat Netic has, i may have made a false assumption that he has an alloy boat of sorts.

Just to be sure, it certainly doesn't hurt to coat ALL bolts that are going through metal or a metal fastening plate with a little bit of Duralac.

If you have a glass boat then the silicone product of your choice will be fine.

LW

Guest Big-Banana

We had some electrolysis on our boat, where the screws meet the aluminium. So now we have used the Duralac and are in the process of touching up all the affected areas. It seems to be ok for now.

When my old man was up in Nth Queensland, he went into a boating shop and explained the problem we were having. He recommended installed Anodes on the actuall hull, which we have done. Iam a bit dubious but do you fellas think it will work?