Salmon Off North Head

Jewhunter

G'day all.

Got a call from a mate this morning saying he had a call telling him there were heaps of Salmon schooling around North Head. Do I want do go & smack a few in his boat? Silly question!! :biggrin2:

Asked the :wife: & she said :ranting2::mad3::1badmood: & I heard :thumbup: !!! So I grabbed the Bream gear & off I went.

We got out there in the rain to find the Sambos everywhere. It's been a while since I'd seen so many of them rippling the surface, backs out of the water going nuts. We followed them around & although they were a bit finicky we did o.k. We had the schools to ourselves by that time.

Ended up with 6 with 6 bustoffs, many dropped & plenty of missed hits. We were pushing the light gear to the limit & the bustoffs came due to my 6lb leader. I know thats stupid but I was rushed & it was all I had. 3 inch b/m's cut in half worked best.

The Salmon were also getting smashed into now & then by what I suspect were good Kings. What a sight! :thumbup:

Only fished for 2.5hrs as I had to be home for an appointment.

Had a top time with screaming drags & doubled over rods putting a smile on my dial. :yahoo:

Cheers,

Grant.

Guest fishrunner

Well done Jewhunter :thumbup:

Isn't it great when a mate has already sussed it out, and is calling you because he wants to share the action :biggrin2:

great stuff

cheers

Guest madsmc

Very nice session on the sambo's there Grant. They may not set the culinary world on fire, but they sure are fun on light gear. :biggrin2:

Shane

:1fishing1:

great stuff on the salmon mate great to hear them busting up the surface like that as of late only at depths could they be found. i like the sound of the possibe kings thats for sure makes me wanna get out there on the weekend in the event of it happening again.

cheers.

Guest Dont Shoot Da Chinamen

Asked the :wife: & she said :ranting2::mad3: & I heard :thumbup: !!!

:074:

i only hear the :thumbup: ok honey u can go and never the :wife::mad3:

Might be worth slow trolling some live baits

around the headlands.

My oath it would. We picked up a smallish Trevally after a Sambo went deep & spat the hook. It ate the jig on the way up. When I saw it i was thinking just that. My 1st Sambo would have been perfect trolling size as well.

There would have to be some big kings shadowing those schools.

Cheers,

mate of mine saw a boat pull in a 15kg + kingie at the front of barrenjoey. said the bloke was slow trolling salmon. so you would think if there they may be at north head as well

:1fishing1:

Top session there Grant. I'm green with envy :wacko:

Found a nice recipe for poached salmon which may make 'em taste a little better.

I have never used this recipe and it looks a little fiddly but maybe worth a try

seeing there are so many salmon about at present. It certainly looks delicious

on paper.

You will need a fish kettle for it but I think a pot big enough to fit the whole salmon

would also work.

Anyway, here goes.

Pete.

Poached Salmon.

Poached salmon with herbed mayonnaise

The flavour of the fish is influenced by the seaonings you add to the bullion. Poached fish is extremely versatile: it is equally good hot or cold.

ingredients

1 whole salmon (or other fish)

fresh basil

lemons

garlic\ginger optional

court bullion

2 litres water

3 cups dry white wine

2/3 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice or white wine vinegar

2 small onions, quartered

3 carrots, chopped

2 celery stalks, chopped

3 or 4 fresh parsley sprigs

1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 bay leaf

2 teaspoons salt (optional)

1 1/2 teaspoons cracked black peppercorns

mayonnaise

1 whole egg

2 egg yolks

1 tablespoon dijon style mustard

3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed or to taste

2 cups vegetable oil

1/2 cup of olive oil

Approx 1 cup of fresh herbs, ie dill, basil, tarragon, parsley, chives

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fish kettle

tools

fish kettle

stockpot

fish tweezers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

method

court bullion

Combine all the ingredients in a stockpot or large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for about 1 hour. Strain and discard the vegetables and herbs.

Pour the poaching liquid into fish kettle with the fresh basil, lemon slices and ginger/garlic, if using, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and keep the liquid at a simmer.

Place the fish in the fish kettle and bring back to a simmer. Cover and set simmer gently for approximately 30 minutes. Do not let boil rapidly. The fish should be immersed in the poaching liquid, add boiling water if needed.

Remove the fish from the kettle once cooked, and very carefully peel off skin and remove and discard any cartilage and excess fat. Scrape off any grey flesh and use tweezers to pull out any exposed bones.

If you are to refrigerate fish, wrap tightly in plastic wrap.

herbed mayonnaise

In a blender or food processor, combine egg yolk and whole egg with lemon juice, fresh herbs and mustard and blend for a approx 1 minute. With the motor running at high speed, add the oil in a slow steady stream until it thickens to the correct consistency.

Adjust for seasoning and lemon juice.

Edited by MallacootaPete

G'day Jewhunter, Great work! :thumbup: I know how fussy the salmons are from time to time! Thats why i've started making my own flies! Me and my fishing buddy also saw some kingy's smilling at us, inbetween the salmon..

I'll be trying to get some more tomorro.. About two weeks ago i caught some kingy's by deep gigging in 40m deep. Good on ya! I'll try and post some pics soon too!

Good effort on the salmon, i think they are always in that area in the cooler

months, it just depends on the boat traffic whether there woking or not.I think

there was show on about 10 years ago called wildfish which had a peice

on live baiting 2kg salmon by ballon into some really rough country, using

marlin gear. the kingies were 20-30kg plus; amazing stuff, i'm pretty sure

it was in N.Z.???