Say What You Like About Kiwi`s But

OWZAT

G`day Fellas ,

Say What You Like About NZ , but this week NZ Telecom , will flick the switch , and 6 million Kiwi`s will have a Standard broadband service Of " 2 gigs " , yep you read it right , 2 ......freaking Gigs.

We Have it here too , but Telstra , will not allow it to go ahead , they would rather keep pursuong their end goal of Single Monopoly status , while spending 4 billion Dollars on fibre optic , which some Geeks say , is a total waste of time and money ( "geeks" Please feel free to Elaborate on this matter if indeed it`s true ) .

According to the talking head on the ABC , telstra is so single minded with its " Predatory Tactics " to remain the Single Monopoly , they are whitelining , and frothing at the mouth in this pursuit.

For those of you ( and Me ) who are plugging along at 512 , or 256 , ask yourself why are we paying 40/50/70/100 bucks per month for a lousy 200/500/ I gig to 20 gigs download s when all of NZ has no downlooad or upload limits.

It`s bloodywell beyond Me , and I`ve had a gutfull of this do nothing government , that allows this to drag on and on , and on , and on and on .

Fair Dinkum , NZ ...2 gig ....broadband standard .............Li`l ...Old.... Oz....256 standard!!!!!!!!!.

Mick

its ridiculous. I have raised this point with optus a couple of times, and the guy on the other end of the phone line tells me

" you've got cable, it can't go any faster"

no shit, cause we are maxed out at 512

G`day Fellas ,

Inky : "guy on the other end of the phone line" , is Idiot , reading from Idiot Sheet.

I always insist on speaking to nothing less than a supervisor .

Ya still don`t win , but at least you have the satisfaction of talking to someone who knows better , but still must hold the company line.

One Day Fellas , One day !!!!.

Mick

I just had a look on the NZ Telecoms website. The product you seem to be referring to looks very similar to the ADSL2+ services that are currently available in Australia through companies such as TPG Ozemail and IINet and possibly a few others. I currently use it and find it super. My true download speed varies between 1meg/Sec and 1.14Meg/sec. I have 6 gig allowance for $40/month. I am approx 2.2kms from my local exchange hence the slow download speed. If I was within 500 metres my download speed would be closer to 3meg/second and then I'd have to massively increase my PC power to take advantage of the speed.

Hi owzat, i also have ADSL 2 and it is awesome

Currently i have a 24gb download speed on my line and a 30gb download limit for $59.99

This is for my home line not business.

I have download from the windows site at over 5gbs per second

click here to see

TPG

Im on Optus cable , using a 4 year old SB4200 modem , this is pretty much my average download speed :

Test run on 08/08/2006 @ 10:51 PM

Mirror: Optus

Test type: Cable (15MB Test)

Your connection speed:

kbps: 7496.33

KB/s: 937.04

Mbps: 7.5

Time to download 15Mb file : 17 seconds

Apparently , the new 5101i modems get twice this speed.

Ross

Im on Optus cable , using a 4 year old SB4200 modem , this is pretty much my average download speed :

Test run on 08/08/2006 @ 10:51 PM

Your connection speed:

kbps: 7496.33

KB/s: 937.04

Mbps: 7.5

Time to download 15Mb file : 17 seconds

Apparently , the new 5101i modems get twice this speed.

Ross

I've got Optus cable as well but my modem is the SB5100

My download speed for the 15mb test was;

Test run on 08/08/2006 @ 11:03 PM

Your connection speed:

kbps: 10270.52

KB/s: 1283.82

Mbps: 10.27

Netic, 5gig/sec not possible mate. To put that into perspective, thats 300gig a minute which is like downloading close 60 DVD's in 1 minute. F*** me, I gotta see this :074:

I just tried the standard cable download test and got this;

Your Results

Test run on 08/08/2006 @ 11:28 PM

Test type: Cable

Your connection speed:

kbps: 16538.95

KB/s: 2067.37

Mbps: 16.54

Guest bluecod

Correct me if I'm wrong but there have only been four or five carriers actively laying cable in NSW and only two of these, Telstra and Optus, lay cable in the Metropolitan area for domestic use - the others have been concentrating on digital data carriage between the capital cities.

As I understand it a fibre optic cable will consist of a number of bundled optical lines some of which are utilised optimally by the cable owner, the others are dark fibre reserved for the cable owner for business expansion purposes or alternatively leased as dark fibre to other service providers. Much of the information carried by the cables is 'phone communication and through linkages, ADSL. There is also a lot reserved for business expansion - similarly for mobile phone spectrum.

Each optic fibre has a defined capacity that cannot be exceeded with existing technology and is why service guarantees seem so low. Additionally as a service providor's business expands, unless they lease more dark fibre, their service will slow as more end uses compete for the available capacity of the leased fibre.

Don't forget the Federal Govt has deregulated the telecom industry in Australia in an attempt to make the market more competitive [and to financially benefit by leasing spectrum rights]. Each Carrier and service providor is struggling to gain and then hold market share.

Sorry yes it is 5mb per second.....5000 kps............got to remember my conversions better

All i know is it is damn fast, much faster then standard broadband.

I do recommend TPG as they provide a really good service, much better then Optus and Bigpond which i have been with both of them for broadband.

Only bad thing about TPG is the tech support, must be based over in India or something as the tech guys can barely speak english and can never really help you.

Hi guys ,this site provides a lot of info on all the forms of internet connections and a host of other useful information :biggrin2:

http://www.whirlpool.net.au/

Cheers Stewy

Netic thats a honest mistake a lot of us make :1prop: kbs, mbs and gigs wish they would just say its fast or slow or something easy .

The more they confuse us ,the more we pay :074::074::074:

Cheers Stewy

mate its getting beyong a joke these days, there are way too many abbreviations for things...you gotta be a rocket scientist to know them all

i must be getting screwed hard :ranting2: the last time i was connected with optus cable which was a year ago we were paying $63.95 for unlimited cable service which was speed limited after 12gigs, and i stopped getting it cos we moved to renovate but im moving back in again soon. Are there any conditions to the $50 a month for 60gigs deal?

This site may be of some help with those pesky computer initials !!GLOSSARY OF COMPUTER TERMS

Ross

G'day GIO ,

The deal I am on was only for a limited time , ( now expired) , and it wasnt advertised. I found out about it on Whirlpool ( see Swordys link above ) , it is worthwhile checking out the Optus forum there ( after reading the Fishraider pages of course!) , as any changes to Optus' pricing will almost always be posted there first !!

Ross

G`day Fellas ,

Say What You Like About NZ , but this week NZ Telecom , will flick the switch , and 6 million Kiwi`s will have a Standard broadband service Of " 2 gigs " , yep you read it right , 2 ......freaking Gigs.

We Have it here too , but Telstra , will not allow it to go ahead , they would rather keep pursuong their end goal of Single Monopoly status , while spending 4 billion Dollars on fibre optic , which some Geeks say , is a total waste of time and money ( "geeks" Please feel free to Elaborate on this matter if indeed it`s true ) .

According to the talking head on the ABC , telstra is so single minded with its " Predatory Tactics " to remain the Single Monopoly , they are whitelining , and frothing at the mouth in this pursuit.

For those of you ( and Me ) who are plugging along at 512 , or 256 , ask yourself why are we paying 40/50/70/100 bucks per month for a lousy 200/500/ I gig to 20 gigs download s when all of NZ has no downlooad or upload limits.

It`s bloodywell beyond Me , and I`ve had a gutfull of this do nothing government , that allows this to drag on and on , and on , and on and on .

Fair Dinkum , NZ ...2 gig ....broadband standard .............Li`l ...Old.... Oz....256 standard!!!!!!!!!.

Mick

Mick, you are not the only one that thinks our broadband speed sucks. :1badmood:

This today in the paper:

Pete.

Australia five years behind on broadband

By Chris Jenkins and Andrew Colley

August 12, 2006 12:00am

AUSTRALIA risks becoming a broadband backwater unless it acts quickly to bring internet speeds into line with the rest of the developed world.

Experts said Australia's low broadband speeds, and its potential to lose further ground to other countries as more internet services demand fast connections, had been highlighted this week by the demise of Telstra's plan for a high-capacity "fibre to the node" broadband network.

Telecommunications industry analyst Paul Budde warned it could be five years before Australia even drew level with other countries with broadband speeds 100 times faster.

In the last OECD survey of broadband penetration, Australia ranked 17th.

Under fire from Labor over the the country's "goat track" internet services, Communications Minister Helen Coonan said about four million Australians had broadband, a figure that was "hardly an indictment of the state of broadband in Australia".

But in speed terms, Australia lags Europe and the US by up to five years, and is even further behind Japan and Korea.

Landry Fevre, research director at analysis firm IDC, said higher speeds meant a new era for the internet. "When you move to 'Broadband 2.0', it's a whole new set of services," he said.

"'Broadband 1.0' was fast dial-up. Broadband 2.0 allows for video, and it completely changes the way that you interact."

Senator Coonan said the demise of the Telstra FTTN network after the failure of talks with the competition regulator, was "not the end of the world for metropolitan consumers".

Nine providers already offer higher-speed "ADSL2+" services, which promise speeds of up to 24Mbps, more than enough for high-definition TV.

But at least half of Australia's metropolitan phone lines can only carry ADSL2+ at 12Mbps and full-speed ADSL2+ services are only available within 1.5km of the customers' telephone exchange.

G`day Fellas ,

Pete , I heard a rather interesting story the other week at the Bowlo.

The conspiracy theory was simply " that this " Goon" they brought out from the US , is only here to oversee our Telco Monopoly Telstra , having been broken up , sold off to American interests.

I said krap , that won`t happen because of the cross media rules , and bugger me , a few days later , out trots that Scarecrow " The minister For Misinformation , and failed communications , "Helen Coonan" , to announce that " The Old Cross Media Laws " were outdated and are to be scrapped .

That simply means that the Moguls can buy and do what they like.

Don`t generaly dwell on conspiracy theories these days , but I`m starting to question all the motives lately.

Must we be mushrooms forever ?, better still , how much longer can this country afford this overseas compost .

Mick