What Kind Of Tuna?

Lewis

G,day Raiders.

I went for a late fish yesterday morning out of Port Kembla Harbour, around 9.00 am I hit the water . I had every intention of doing some bottom bashing as it was a little bumpy out wider around my usual haunts.

After about 2.5 hours of berlying and only a few miserly bites, the wind had picked up a bit more so I decided to head back to the ramp while trailing a couple of red skirts. As I approached the harbour I noticed that the wind had eased quite considerably so I headed out to Bass Island for a troll out there for one bonito, and it seemed the further I went out the better the conditions got. So I continued out past Bass Island heading due east for another 20 minutes at 8kts, which would put me around 6 nautical miles out by this time. As I started to turn back in I noticed some birds working about 300 mtrs further out just to the north, so I motored over to see what was doing, and noticed that around the birds as opposed to with in the working birds I noticed fish working the surface in what looked like groups of up to 6 or so fish. I looked at the sounder to see that there were quite a few fish under the boat, so I deployed every kind of lure, jig, diver and bait that I had on board, but to no avail, these fish were not interested in the least.

The fish were blue to black on the back and seemed to be swimming on their side, exposing a kind of sickle like pectoral fin, but no yellow on them that I could see, they were around 60 or so cm in length from what I could see of them. I trolled around for a further hour but still no takers.

It was quite a sight and got the adrenalin pumping just wish that I would have been able to at least get a strike. I have been out when the water is boiling with Salmon, which was exiting but this just seemed to get me reved right up it was amazing.

Would I be close to the mark in asuming they could have been yellow fin or may be blue fin? I dont know, what are your thoughts?

Catch you soon, Lew.

could have been small southerns i did here of reports of some biggens been taken out wide off the south coast so they may just have been them albeit very full and not willing to eat any of your entree of lures

Edited by James

Albacore sounds like the go but they could have been small stripeys also, my mate caught a few there a couple of weeks back.

Very strange they didnt take anything, did you try trolling small skirts

How exciting!

i'd say southern bluefin.

Did you see what they were feeding on?

i ususally throw a 2cm soft plastic with the smallest jig head.

i've landed frigates and salmon where no one else caught a fish.

invest in a small bait caster, 6lb braid and a 1-3kg graphite stick.

obviously you will get smoked a few times but what the hell, you will catch more fish than ever.

G,day Tabs.

Ypu Know I did'nt even think on the day to throw out some berly, :1prop::wacko::1prop: and I had some nice pieces of pillies and bonito already cut from earlier on in the day. I'm going out again on Wednesday the 17th so If I encounter them again I will certainly do as you have suggeated.

Cheers.

G,day Tabs.

Ypu Know I did'nt even think on the day to throw out some berly, :1prop::wacko::1prop: and I had some nice pieces of pillies and bonito already cut from earlier on in the day. I'm going out again on Wednesday the 17th so If I encounter them again I will certainly do as you have suggeated.

Cheers.

please let me know how you go and if the kings are still hanging around the islands mate if you go..

cheers.