Yellow Fin Dreams Forfilled

frankp

:thumbup: Hi Guys

This is my first fishing report, hope you's all enjoy.

Headed out to brown mountains today to chase some YFT with my brother Joe, Dad and my Uncle. Started trolling around 11.30 with lures for about an hour with no bites, but saw a few boats getting double hook ups by cubing.

After seeing the hook ups around us, we decided to give cubing ago. After an hour of cubing we got our first hit and bust off which happened within a few seconds, the knot was not done right. A further ten minutes went past when both rods on the boat went off simutaneously. Amazing. After about 15 minutes we saw colour and knew it was a YFT, the only problem was that both rods and bait had been eaten by the same YFT. :1yikes: We worked both rods to the same side of the boat and after 2 gaff attempts we had our very first ever 25K YFT on the boat. There were hugs all around.

We kept cubing and after another 20 minutes we had another hit which after 5 minutes of fighting let the hook go an we lost.

Threw the lines back out again and after 5 minutes heard the reel screaming heavily. Now this fish was a one tough customer and we were about to find out why. After about an hour of fighting the fish we were gaining nothing, so we tried to back down on him to get some line back, this worked well and after an extra 45 minutes of intense fighting we got our first gaff shot, which my Dad took spectacurly. A beautiful YFT of around 30k.

What a day, I would have to say that i have many dreams in my life and today one of those dreams was fulfilled.

Just a question for everyone, the last YFT we caught today fought like it was on steriods, we didnt think that a fish of 30K could take 1.45 hours to catch. it was one stubborn fish. Is this normal, we were convinced it was a mako. Pictures will be posted in a few days, when i learn how to download photos :yahoo:

:1welcomeani: to the site mate great fist up report. really looking forward to the pics.

was everyone from fishraider at browns today? was there a social i didn t hear about lol

i have never seen so many boats like i did today. i thought there wasnt going to be enough YFT to go around for everyone.

hey Brian

Well we were using 24kg gear and our trace was around 60 pound, we just just thought that the lighter you could go with the trace the better, without going too light if you know what i mean. Anyway that last fish just definetly had to be on steriods :biggrin2:

The pics should be up ASAP

:1welcomeani: to the site mate great fist up report. really looking forward to the pics.

was everyone from fishraider at browns today? was there a social i didn t hear about lol

seemed as though who didn t get a yellowfin managed some other top specie

i was off broken bay and was the only boat..... sadly no fin lots of whales around though.....so all i got was a stripie

:1welcomeani: Frank

Mate there is no way a 30kg fin should take that long on 24kg gear. That size fish is a 5 minute job & maybe 10 if your loafing on 24kg tackle. If you were using 6kg gear I could understand an hour & 3/4 but no way on 24kg.

Guest bluecod

Fishing from a charter boat with good equipment and plenty of experience behind you, you would have nailed it in less time for sure. Irrespective of the time it took to land the stubborn one, you've done well and now have some experience behind you to help out in future captures.

yeah well the experience does definetly help us now. I think we gave the fish too much respect altough evrytime we pulled the fish in it just took double the line, i have never seen that happen before. The YFT we caught before that came in so much more easier. Oh well it was definetly an experience to remember.