Molineaux/landbased Is It Worth It?

KamakaziCroat

Hi all, haven't posted on the forums for a while and like many i'm more of a reader than poster because of my complete rookie status! But was wanting to head out this weekend to catch something..anything...

Everyone seems to mention molineaux point, Botany bay as an OK spot to wet a line, keeping in mind i am boatless and landbased, would it be worth it to head to Molineaux via Prince of Wales Drive, and try my luck from the land there? or would i be wasting my time...

From reading the forum i've come up with a handful of possible spots....i was wondering if some of you experts could nudge me in the right direction.. these are my possible spots i might try this wkend..

Off the beach at Greenhills, Cronulla...

Molineaux point landbased.....

south end of Brighton towards Dolls point...

either way im going to hit the bait and tackle and pick up a new line ($200-$300) budget..so depending where i go depends on what i get i suppose... any tips on the type of rod/reel or bait for these three places (also time of tide, low or high?) Or any other spots im not aware of around this area...any info tips at all would be awesome...

And thanks to you all for contributing to my ongoing fishing education hehe! :1fishing1:

Hi kamakazicroat

As for fishing molineaux point landbased, those artificial/ man made boulders you see on the rock wall have in some places 9 foot drops in between them. I tried it once without my gear and i got 1/5 of the way down and thought "stuff this". I dont know how athletic you are, and i know there are a few ppl who do it cos you see them there all the time from a boat but i certainly wouldnt recommend it. One slip and your gone! Very dangerous indeed

As for the rod it kind of depends on what species you want to catch. If you decide to go off the beach, a beach rod of atleast 10ft (i use a 12ft) is a must, i would think to cast over the breakers and to keep the line high and out of the wash. For a reel i use a baitunner in 6500 series with 30lb mono but everyone has there one preferences. A ganged pilchard or a strip bait (mackeral, tuna, mullet or squid) also ganged with a star sinker would be a good start from the beach expect to catch salmon, tailor and flatties, and a jew if your lucky. Alternatively you could use prawns and beach worms for bream and whiting.

Best of Luck

Edited by gio

Hi kamakazicroat

As for fishing molineaux point landbased, those artificial/ man made boulders you see on the rock wall have in some places 9 foot drops in between them. I tried it once without my gear and i got 1/5 of the way down and thought "stuff this". I dont know how athletic you are, and i know there are a few ppl who do it cos you seem there all the time from a boat but i certainly wouldnt recommend it. One slip and your gone!

As for the rod it kind of depends on what species you want to catch. If you decide to go off the beach, a beach rod of atleast 10ft (i use a 12ft) is a must, i would think to cast over the breakers and to keep the line high and out of the wash. For a reel i use a baitunner in 6500 series with 30lb mono but everyone has there one preferences. A ganged pilchard or a strip bait (mackeral, tuna, mullet or squid) also ganged with a star sinker would be a good start from the beach expect to catch salmon, tailor and flatties, and a jew if your lucky. Alternatively you could use prawns and beach worms for bream and whiting.

Best of Luck

hi

be very careful with molineux point. those large man made blocks are very steep, its

very easy to fall in between them, potential of serious injuries are very high.

further there are many large wave crashing into it, its just too unpredictable

a good land based place in botany bay, is called browns rock. its just east of bare island

past those two beaches. go to matraville bait and tackle they will give you good

instructions how to get there. likely species are kingfish jewfish(when its very rough)

bream salmon tailor etc.

regards

hi

be very careful with molineux point. those large man made blocks are very steep, its

a good land based place in botany bay, is called browns rock. its just east of bare island

past those two beaches. go to matraville bait and tackle they will give you good

instructions how to get there. likely species are kingfish jewfish(when its very rough)

bream salmon tailor etc.

regards

I'm surprised at the lack of reports I've heard of poeple getting hurt on those rocks. I had a drive out there to check it out intending on fishing, and as soon as I saw it, I said to myself 'no bloody way'. Risking life and limb for the chance of a fish or 2 is ridiculous. I don't even know how the guys that were down there got there - it didnt even look possible to me.

Edited by abitfishy

i used to fish molineuex wall evry weekend and yes it look steep but pretty easy for me to climb down. in fact as i get used to it i started to climb down (half running) the man made rock easily. it's been 2 yrs since i fish over there and i dunno if u r allowed to fish over there at night since there is a sign (trespasser will be prosecuted). people used to ignore it and climb up the fence.........dunno about now though

if anyone know please inform me coz i would like to fish there again.......

it's a top fishing spot in my opinion

I have fished it twice landbased but it can be hard to land fish there. If you do go take decent shoes as the pilons are all round and its very easy to roll an ankle. I wouldnt want to hook a decent king there only to loose the bugger at my feet. I would be more inclined to fish bear Island myself.

Hi kamakazicroat

As for fishing molineaux point landbased, those artificial/ man made boulders you see on the rock wall have in some places 9 foot drops in between them. I tried it once without my gear and i got 1/5 of the way down and thought "stuff this". I dont know how athletic you are, and i know there are a few ppl who do it cos you see them there all the time from a boat but i certainly wouldnt recommend it. One slip and your gone! Very dangerous indeed

Best of Luck

Thanks for the tips for beach fishing, ill definately give it a crack one day soon and get a proper beach set up, dosent sound like people have much luck at cronulla from the beach, might take a trip down the gong one day...

hi KamakaziCroat

Garie beach is a good beach, where good salmon, bream have been taken.

Have a look there, or have at the northern beaches, palm etc.

Btw im new to beach fishing too, ive only beach fished down in Culburra, and caught my first salmon! it was awesome. I picked up an outfit for about 200 bux with line. It's not the best outfit, but considering my experience with beach fishing, it was a good purchase and have confidence in taking it to any other beach.

Cheers,

Kantong

hi

bream salmon tailor etc.

regards

Hi ilk fish thanks for the tip about Browns rock..i think ill head out this weekend and check it out..is it possible to park at la perouse then walk around those two beaches to the east of Bare Island or is Brown's rock further out of the way towards henry head? Im looking at this map.. http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/docs/botanybay_front.pdf

Also what sort of setup would you use to fish this spot? is it rock fishing or? But thanks for the tip! ill be sure to head down to Matraville bait and tackle and have a chat!

hi KamakaziCroat

Garie beach is a good beach, where good salmon, bream have been taken.

Have a look there, or have at the northern beaches, palm etc.

Btw im new to beach fishing too, ive only beach fished down in Culburra, and caught my first salmon! it was awesome. I picked up an outfit for about 200 bux with line. It's not the best outfit, but considering my experience with beach fishing, it was a good purchase and have confidence in taking it to any other beach.

Cheers,

Kantong

Hi Kantong,

Whereabouts on Garie beach? do you walk all the way from the beach onto the rocks or was that just along the beach from the car park/canteen? Thats also another idea for the weekend! suppose i should head out early morning or late afternoon if i plan on hitting Garie beach...

Personally i havent fished there myself, but heard some good reports from mates and some from the forum.

The rock platform you talk about i heard is good. just watch the swell.

Out the front is good, find the gutters, Ive been down there to watch the surfers and usually they know where the deeper water is. closer to the rock platform is good. Not sure bout the south end.

Hi ilk fish thanks for the tip about Browns rock..i think ill head out this weekend and check it out..is it possible to park at la perouse then walk around those two beaches to the east of Bare Island or is Brown's rock further out of the way towards henry head? Im looking at this map.. http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/docs/botanybay_front.pdf

you can walk around there yes (i have seen people walking that way from the boat), keep in mind that the beach closest to the headland there is a nudist one :1prop:

you can walk around there yes (i have seen people walking that way from the boat), keep in mind that the beach closest to the headland there is a nudist one :1prop:

HAHAHA yeh i thought that would be the case... how far do you reckon browns Rock is from that beach? and would you know if id be casting off the rocks or?

Hey Kamakazi - have you considered Maroubra Beach?

I fish there a lot and usually have good success, although of late all I can manage to raise is undersized flatties (in great numbers). It's a great spot, both off the beach and rocks, for whiting, tailor, salmon, bream, drummer, blackfish etc.

Regardless of where you end up going (i.e. Maroubra, Cronulla, Brighton etc) I would suggest that you commit to a location that you know produces fish and then head back there many times, whether you're getting fish or not. In my personal experience I've found that you simply cannot get a fishing spot wired unless you frequent it enough that you come to know how it works. Once you know a spot well, you only need to look outside at the prevailing weather to know where to and how to fish it to maximise your chances.

Unfortunately this process takes a very long time. I've fished in the Maroubra area over 50 times in the last year or two and am still working the place out. The locals whov'e been fishing it for decades (there are a few of them) almost never go home empty handed.

In winter at night, i always see HEAPS of asian appearence people fishing there. They are definantly targeting tailor in winter. I also see heaps of fishos in summer and im guess you would need a preety long net to land a king from the sure.

It is fairly easy access at the other sid of the wall(closest to the dock) but you just have to watch the pilot and tug boats wake.

Hey Kamakazi - have you considered Maroubra Beach?

I fish there a lot and usually have good success, although of late all I can manage to raise is undersized flatties (in great numbers). It's a great spot, both off the beach and rocks, for whiting, tailor, salmon, bream, drummer, blackfish etc.

Regardless of where you end up going (i.e. Maroubra, Cronulla, Brighton etc) I would suggest that you commit to a location that you know produces fish and then head back there many times, whether you're getting fish or not. In my personal experience I've found that you simply cannot get a fishing spot wired unless you frequent it enough that you come to know how it works. Once you know a spot well, you only need to look outside at the prevailing weather to know where to and how to fish it to maximise your chances.

Unfortunately this process takes a very long time. I've fished in the Maroubra area over 50 times in the last year or two and am still working the place out. The locals whov'e been fishing it for decades (there are a few of them) almost never go home empty handed.

Thanks for the advice Mondo, got the day off work today and im off on a scouting mission on a few of the mentioned places.. heading off to the shop to get a new rod/reel too so im pretty pumped. Not sure if ill wet a line today (have to check the tide chart) but when i do ill let you all know how it went at these locations.. :1prop: