Snapper Feed Tonight From Botany Bay 1st Day Of Spring ;)

impulse

Thought I'd post my second report so here goes (shorter this time).

Set out from Munch ramp on Botany Bay at about 6am, smooth and glasses on the way out.

Bear Island was the 1st stop where we saw some birds (3) feeding on the service, not a thing.

Went eastside of the Kurnell wharf (near the hatchery) and zip.

Baclk to Moll's Pt and pulled up next to a nice bloke in a tinny, and in his words "not much here" and he was right.

Ok my mate said lets poke our heads out of the bay near the Nth head, and there it was..... and we thought there were birds at Bear Island, about 50 sitting on the service with the same in the air. The water was boiling with...I think Salmon.

We all got excited and though it all into the middle........ bite......bite..... then my mate had one, the fight was on but got close to the boat and gone. Tried and tried but could not hook up again, we quickly change from bait to lura but to late they were gone.

So we nosed in close to the rocks and drifted back out across the mouth and BANG my 4lb line went a run'n, pulled in a nice Snapper (my first, 15,000 tiny ones don't count). I was wrapped. We went back again for the drift and BANG the 2nd snapper, and the biggest comming in at a whopping 35cm and 650g (Its big for me). Back again and you guessed it “BANG” but this time it spat the hook at the side of the boat. So back again and (I can't loose) Bang, 3 of the suckers.

I also landed a large Wrasse, 2 red cods all went back.

My poor old mate managed a black thing with a white strip and that was it.

In all this action it was time to berley up, or should I say chuck, and yes there was carrot, my mate tried to poison me with a Chinese pork roll for breakfast, It wasn’t the roll but me.

Now my line wasn't the standard "Snapper" jig you see in the books (the ones I read), it was a No 2 long shank with a small ball sinker running free and to the hook, no swivel. Oh and the bait we used was pilli's and the wonderful Aldi peeled Prawns (I cought all my fish and prawns)

Hey it worked.

post-1711-1157084012_thumb.jpg

Edited by impulse

no offence, but unless those are novelty over-sized car keys, the biggest snapper is not 40 cm. good feed though

None taken as I checked and there was a parallax error (I didn't read my sons scale rule correctly), correction made. On the other hand had it been 40cm I would of hunted you down..........

Edited by impulse

well done on getting out there and scoreing a feed, we drove past the bay on the way in to the city this morning and it looked like a mill pond.

if we werent going in to pick up inxs tickets i would have turned around and gone got the boat.

was there any size to the black fish with the stripe?

well done on getting out there and scoreing a feed, we drove past the bay on the way in to the city this morning and it looked like a mill pond.

if we werent going in to pick up inxs tickets i would have turned around and gone got the boat.

was there any size to the black fish with the stripe?

Now don't quote me like some :tease: but it was about 18cm and was rock hard

Edited by impulse

Hey nuice report dude wanted to tell ya the fishdats black wit a white stripe do u have a pic caz it will be a cobia caught one last weekend next to molls point please post [pic if u have it

nar it wasn't a cobia it looked more like a damsel (similar to the ones i had in my aqurium)

do u have a pi of it at least and where abouts did u catch the snapper like near kurnell?

If I did show you I'd have to kill you.......... I don't have a pic but it was about 200m off the breaks at the outer Northern Head of Botany Bay, There was a rock fisherman in the same area.

Well done on the reds, yum o on the dinner table :thumbup:

Had them last night, steamed in some foil seasoned with butter salt-n-pepper, Both my sons and misses loved them :1gathering:

Edited by impulse

• 2 weeks later...