Sea Changes

Fishin Mission

Hi there, was wondering if any of you have made a sea change from Sydney..or anywhere for that matter. Are you enjoying life since the change, no regrets?.

Reason I ask is my wife and I are thinking of making a sea change from Sydney to Lake Cathie, this is a town about 15 minutes south of Port Macquarie.

Currently I work in IT and have a relatively well paying job, moving north would be a significant pay cut for the both of us, but in relative terms the take home pay would be about the same after a Sydney mortgage 600k etc in comparison to a mortgage under 300k :thumbup: , and probably paid off much sooner.

I guess there are many benefits of moving like more places to fish, more relaxed lifestyle etc, walk to beach/fishing etc.

My wifes parents live up there as well, so we would have family there, mind the kids etc when we have them.

Will also be able to buy a boat once we get up there, so plenty of fishing available.

Interested to see your replies , so far havent heard of anyone regretting the changes.

We are still pretty young, around 30s.

Thanks

Hi Fishin Mission,

I would go there tomorrow if i could talk the :wife: into it, ive only been to lake cathie once and that was last easter.

Top spot and great location, close to Port Mac, great beaches & plenty of place to go fishing, there are a lot of young families up there as the graph shows

post-1705-1158480541_thumb.png

Lot of new homes with recent land releases

Even plans of building a school there.

And not to mention a great fishing club http://lakecathie.com/

If you can get a job in Port, then go!

Area Profile

The size of Lake Cathie is approximately 15 km². There are 1 childcare centre located in Lake Cathie. The population of Lake Cathie in 1996 was 1,801 people. By 2001 the population was 2,075 showing a population growth of 15% in the area during that time. The predominant age group in Lake Cathie is 0 - 9 years.

Households in Lake Cathie are primarily couples with children and are likely to be repaying between $600.00 - $800.00 per month on mortgage repayments. In general, people in Lake Cathie work in a professional occupation. In 1996, 57% of the homes in Lake Cathie were owner-occupied compared with 74% in 2001.

Currently the median sale price of houses in the area is $335,500.

Edited by Aron

Hi Fishin Mission,

I would go there tomorrow if i could talk the :wife: into it, ive only been to lake cathie once and that was last easter.

Top spot and great location, close to Port Mac, great beaches & plenty of place to go fishing, there are a lot of young families up there as the graph shows

post-1705-1158480541_thumb.png

Lot of new homes with recent land releases

Even plans of building a school there.

And not to mention a great fishing club http://lakecathie.com/

If you can get a job in Port, then go!

Area Profile

The size of Lake Cathie is approximately 15 km². There are 1 childcare centre located in Lake Cathie. The population of Lake Cathie in 1996 was 1,801 people. By 2001 the population was 2,075 showing a population growth of 15% in the area during that time. The predominant age group in Lake Cathie is 0 - 9 years.

Households in Lake Cathie are primarily couples with children and are likely to be repaying between $600.00 - $800.00 per month on mortgage repayments. In general, people in Lake Cathie work in a professional occupation. In 1996, 57% of the homes in Lake Cathie were owner-occupied compared with 74% in 2001.

Currently the median sale price of houses in the area is $335,500.

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the info, yeah I have heard there is a new primary school going in up there as well, the shopping centre woolworths etc went in not that long ago either, so it shows growth, I guess woollies would have done their forcasting.

From the graph looks like quite a few younger people in the area as well.

Have also seen the Jewhunter post, thats a nice spot, imagine catching jewies off your back yard. :1yikes:

Just keep in mind one thing - once you leave Sydney with its high prices and settle somewhere cheaper to live, its extremely difficult to get back into Sydney if you change your mind.

I'd consider renting for 6mths (while you rent out your Sydney house) before you make it permanent....just a thought.

Just keep in mind one thing - once you leave Sydney with its high prices and settle somewhere cheaper to live, its extremely difficult to get back into Sydney if you change your mind.

I'd consider renting for 6mths (while you rent out your Sydney house) before you make it permanent....just a thought.

Yeah we are going to rent actually for that exact reason.

Sure sounds great BUT!

What hapens to the kids when they get older,ans. they will leave for Sydney is that what you want?

What possible opportunities are their for your wife and yourself for future carear growth etc?

Will you or your wife go stir crazy in this small town?

Will the inlaws really look after them? How much?

Sorry to poor cold water on your idea, there are risks associated with it, thats all.

I thought about it as well in a small town down the south coast, and after spending 4 weeks down there on holiday one year, it changed my my mind.

But sure sounds great!

Edited by Tom Tom

Make the change and enjoy the life style before you become to entrenched in the rat race of Sydney.

Maybe rent a house for a year while renting out your current home also. If it works out not totbe your cup of tea you can move back to Sydney.

Cheers

Do it while you are still young. The kids (to come) will love growing up in that environment. So long as you both want to do it, that is the main thing. You are close enough to Port to see the 'big smoke' but far enough away to be part of a select little community. Have a look at some of the other places around there too - Camden Haven, Laurieton - all gorgeous little hamlets.

I'm all for it.

I've got 2 years of uni left and then we are out of here. My wife is a teacher, so hopefully we will both find work in most places of oz.

I don't hate Sydney, but I hate a lot of the shit that comes with living in a major city.Especially the prices ( hence living in the western suburbs).

I think it would be great to raise a family, in a much cleaner, friendly environment. Eventually kids are going to move out and move on wherever you live. I think it's more about providing certain values and quality of life for them, and for me personally, i believe I can do that outside of Sydney.

good luck with your decision

I did it the other way around About 21yrs ago I made the move from Gladstone up in central QLD to the big smoke here in sydney to play NSL soccer also for work as there was none up there unlike now I dont regret it been in a good job for nearly 20yrs met my now wife of 11yrs and am pretty well settled though if something happened to my job I would most likely move back to QLD

Edited by The Iceman

You could also consider a half-change to somewhere like Newcastle/Port Stephens. We have excellent pay rates due to the industrial nature of the Hunter Valley but still have relaxed lifestyle with awesome beaches a wine region 1 hour up the road and some of the best fishing spots on the coast. Now before anyone starts on the "Steel town" comments, how long since youve been here? The town has changed and will continue to change. The other upside, my house is 10years old 4 bedroom with Lake views, double garage huge native gardened block in an excellent area and all for mid $300's......try that one in sydney guys :tease:

GT

.......I would most likely move back to QLD

:1worthy::yahoo::074:

I suppose I shouldn't laugh............

I know where I'd rather be and it ain't within the Sydney basin that's for sure. :05:

I moved from the Manning Valley to the Sydney region with wifey for work reasons and I'd probably go back tomorrow if it wasn't for my daughter leaving school and needing a job in the next couple of years or so.

Come to think of it, kids don't leave home early anymore, if they do at all, and they seem to hang around for cash handouts from obliging dads' so I may as well grab wifey and daughter and head back north tomorrow. :074:

BTW, good luck with what ever you decide on Fishin Mission!!! :thumbup:

cheers

Hooky

Edited by Hooky.

You're definately thinking smart mate ;) Let me explain...... grab a :beersmile:

I haven't made the move but I have worked in Sydney and live in Wollongong and let me tell you I'll never make the move to any city nor will I work in a job that i'm not happy in just for the money. I left a high paying job in the city when I had a big wake up call in the name of a melanoma that nearly took my life; now I earn half that but I look after people with disabilities and try and ensure they're here to live a long and enjoyable life, it's a fantastic job and it feels going knowing that I'm hopefully making a difference to these people's lives. It's also in Wollongong, 2 mins from home and it means I have more time to spend doing the things i enjoy doing like fishing instead of spending 3 hours a day sitting on a train like so many people do.

Happiness to me is lot's of things: living close to my family and friends, being able to walk down to a beach that isn't over crowded and; throwing a line, having a swin or playing a game of cricket, sharing a beer and yarn with the locals at the local rsl/ bowlo, living with a roof over my head without worry too much about what it looks like and how much it cost, owning a car that gets me from A-B, owning a boat that floats on water and catches me a feed of fish regardless of it's age and size, waking up in the morning and making in difference in my job without worrying about how much I am gonna be earning and who i'm gonna scam, not being stressed over a big mortgage and competing with the Jone's... it's lot's of things for me but as you can see for me I'm not a materialistic person, I am a laid back guy that enjoys his job and i keep life as simple as possible because life's too darn short and I know I'm not going to spend it stressing about money and all the rest of it... :beersmile: hope ya get what I'm babling on about here... but yeah mate definately the move away from the city is the go !!!

I had a close mate of mine I worked with, who was in his 40's, pass away a few weeks ago suddenly of a heart attack. He had a wife and 3 kids and worked 7 days a week to pay off their really nice house and loans for cars etc and he was the nicest guy I have and will ever meet but he never slowed down to enjoy his life and as a result the stress of work and home life took it's toll on him and it just reinforces to me how short and precious life is and that we shouldn't take it for granted like so many of us do.... i could write a book on this but I'll stop now... :)

But yeah life is short, don't take it for granted - enjoy it !!!

Ben

Great story Ben, thanks for sharing it with us