Offshore Sydney

offtap1

Went off shore Sydney as usual with my kid Caige and met up with Watto & Claudia and Their Fishing Buddies Frank and Marie. Perfect Conditions so Trip up to Long Reef Wide was the go after late start and some Sambo fun inside Heads , Caige Dropping 2 Decent sized Beasts almost Boat side. Found a jigging ground and Started a drift Jigging. Second Drop and Caige was on Fought a bit at first then just dead weight till near surface then went off again , New it couldnt be a King but was Eager to find out what took this 130gm Knife jig about 200mm long. Would you believe Nice Flattie, dont know if this is a record on jig but Freaked me out. Anyway soon after dropped a Whole Dead Arrow Squid on 2 hook rig and not far off bottom 46m it got nailed , Good hit and decent run Called this for king , boated 650mm King my First on on my own boat. Later Picked up a couple of Jackets as usual before wind came up and we called it quits early. Cheers Dave

post-1870-1158476197_thumb.jpg post-1870-1158476221_thumb.jpg

Nice job, mate! The flattie that Caige caught looks big (- did you measure it?), and congrats on the first! :thumbup::yahoo: Shame about the lost smabos, but that didn't rain on your parade!

Flattieman.

Thanks Buddy the Flattie went 58cm i think its the way i have taught Caige how to hold up fish for pics, too bad i can never get him to smile properly though.

Thanks Buddy the Flattie went 58cm i think its the way i have taught Caige how to hold up fish for pics, too bad i can never get him to smile properly though.

:074: thought it might've been one of those "hold it out as far is you can!" photos - great fish despite that.

Flattieman.

Great report, always interesting to see what jigs can raise......

Fine young fisho you have Dave....

Caige don't outfish the oldman too often...

What rod/reel do you jig on?

Hi Haraka This was my first time jigging and to date have no specified Jig set up except for shit load of jigs. Caige was using his bottom outfit Topaz 6 kg rod and Omoto Over Head Kam300Gold with Braid and I had Outermark 8kg rod and Okuma 20ld and Mono. All from Wattos . I will be looking at new Kick Butt rod or King rod soon specifically for jigging and maybe Tica Reel High Speed also all from Wattos. Cheers Buddy

great report,

i really need to get into jigging. Does anyone know how effective jigging will be inside botany bay and just offshore(1-2km's out?) would a baitrunner 4500 with 30lb braid be ok for jigging?

is the tecnique just to let it hit the bottem then just reel as fast as you possibly can?