Currarong 16/17 Sept

sk.

Hey All

Fished off currarong for the first time out of a 5m haines on the weekend.

Both days we trolled yakkas early looking for kings at the rocks and out of the banks, but didnt get any strikes at all. Pretty disappointing but hopefully they should be on in a few more weeks.

After trolling we had a bottom bash both days out at a spot near the banks, saturday saw 2 reddies, 2mowies and a flatty. sunday saw a good catch of a dozen reddies and a good sized mowie. Would of bagged out but the wind picked up. The other boat we were fishing with also got a assorted feed of snapper mowies jackets flatties trevally and a couple others.

Overall great spot, got a good feed without to much fuss, cant wait for the water to warm up to give them kings a go.

Cheers Shaun

The best reddies were about mid 40's, rest were around the the mid-high 30's.

Just before the wind picked up I threw a sp on the patenoster rig, caught a nice mowie on it and a few just under snapper. I recon it would of worked on the reds if the wind stayed down.

The flatties werent of great size, prob around the 40cm mark.

Thanks Tony, will send a pm through over the next day. Appreciate that :thumbup:

Edited by sk.

nice place to fish down that way hey.

i remember a few years ago, was in a canoe paddling around near the closest bommy to the wreck (from currarong). a school of kings came up around the boat, there mustv been hundreds if not thousands ranging from rats right up to big brutes. they were only a metre or so below the surface, insane to see, reef sharks/bronzies cruisng around with them. if only id had a hand line ey! ah well it was pretty encouraging to see a school that size that hadnt been netted or destroyed by fish traps.

in a similar vein, a few months ago was worming casually off the main beach bout halfway between currarong and culburra and a school of large tuna came in, probably to about 25m of the shore. i didnt know they came in that close. a couple of inexperianced mates were fishing with light rigs, me and another bloke had our heavy gear in the car but it was parked about a km away. woulda been nice to have something big out but sheesh it was pretty amazing just to see fish of that size coming so close into shore. got a week off uni next week think i might head down that way if the girly lets me :)

Currarong , one of my favourite spots on the south coast. My parents had a holiday house there for about 10 years so know the area well.

Have not been there for a few years. Did you launch from Currarong , if so what are the facilities like these days.

We used to time our outings so launch from the beach at low tide & retreive from the caravan ramp at high tide

A fair amount of the area is now marine park so some of the better spots around the cliffs are not accessable. It's good they left the Banks out of the park..

Geoff

We used the beach ramp both days as the river ramp was to low in the morning.

Launching and retrieving was pretty good except for sunday arvo when the wind was up :1yikes:

Apparently funds are been raised to redevelop the beach ramp, but the one that faces side on to the open sea. Good to hear facilities are going to be improved, but in a decent swell/wind, retrieving boats would really be a pain in the arse.

We used the beach ramp both days as the river ramp was to low in the morning.

Launching and retrieving was pretty good except for sunday arvo when the wind was up :1yikes:

Apparently funds are been raised to redevelop the beach ramp, but the one that faces side on to the open sea. Good to hear facilities are going to be improved, but in a decent swell/wind, retrieving boats would really be a pain in the arse.

SK Tks for the feed back. The new ramp has been on the drawing board since the 90's. One of the main problems is the opposition of the locals. They like their little corner of the world & prefer not to encourage tourist therefore tend to appose any development.

At one stage , perhaps it is still the case , there was to be a retaining wall to provide protection from the sea , in particular N/E winds which blows directly onto the beach ramp

Shadda It has been a few years since I have been there so unless conditions have changed there is no bar at the creek entrance. There are occusions when the sand tends to build up near the entrance making it shallow but a good rain storm washes it away on the out going tide

Geoff