Jigging Terminal Tackle

insolent

I'm going to try some jigging on Saturday, set up with 30lb braid and 60lb leader. I was going to see the Fishfinder folk on the weekend and get advice but was unable to make it (the :wife: was a bit ill). So if anyone can help with suggestions on leader length, knots to use to tie braid to the swivel, swivel to leader etc it would be appreciated. Also should I fit a split ring to the jig or just put the leader and hook straight to loop at the top of the jig? I've been checking the net and going back through the mags and although there is a bit of information around a lot of it is sketchy.

Cheers

Evil

Hi guys,

i use the following rig for all of my jigs 200 grams and up...

- Owner size 8 split ring onto the jig eye

- Owner assist hook 6-7/0

- Owner size 7.5 solid ring with hook lanyard looped onto it

- Welded ball bearing swivel 145lb test minimum

Everything hangs off the split ring, which is attached to the jig eyelet... Never failed on me... i also use 100lb Jinkai leader tied to doubled braid (with a 40 turn bimini twist) with a 20 wrap albright knot.

Hi Evil,

what rod and reel will you be using to jig with?

A JW Rovex its finish isn't exactly top notch but its solid and the drag seems smooth, I guess I'll see how long it lasts, the reps reckon its up to it and I won't be using it jigging that often as I don't have a boat (otherwise has a five year warranty and they can keep fixing it). If I start getting into it more full on then I'll look at a Spheros.

I've got a 6 foot Silstar Crystal Blue jigging rod.

Cheers

Edited by Evil

Sammy and Jonno,

If you pick this up, I'll bring our new jig blank out that we build in house on the day out.

Very interesting weapon this one!!

Ray saw it today. ;)

Blew my mind o.O .... That thing is a weapon indeed!!

I ended up walking out with a Silstar Crystal Blue Jig Stick :1prop: ... my piggy bank would only allow so much :thumbdown:

Tony some day we will put my name to one of them !!

Edited by wirlez

Hi Tony,

I'd love to come out for a jig session once they are on...

my current jig setup is a Shimano T-Curve Jig400 with a Shimano Spheros 14000 that i have modified with a full set of stella bearings, stella carbon drag washers and a stella handle..... How does your cusom stick compare to this?

Hey Evil,

Its The Fishy folk here!

Sammy's rig is fine, If you need help with the leader part of it all,

You could just albright youre braid direct too the leader and leave out the

bimini... but keep youre eye on that every now and then that it dont start

to undo after a couple of jigs or fish strikes...Lots of shock!!

Regards tony...

Oh yeh put a cheapoh lure on first to test your knots if your not confident first go...

It wont hurt so much if it lets go.... Has happened to us all at one stage or tuther!......... :ranting2: : : : ;)

Thanks Tony, spent quite some time tying bimini doubles yesterday and am starting to get the hang of it (I think, will test it on the scales tonight), then used the albright to connect the leader. I am expecting to lose a few jigs. :(

• 4 months later...

digging up an oldie i know

but Evil,

how did the Rovex go?

i've read a bit on them, and they seem ok, but im not very strong minded on the JW

just curious as to how the reel is getting along,

any signs of stress, damage etc?

can it push drag?

CFD

Hey CFD

The Rovex handle busted off inside the threading and is due to be sent back for replacement, bought a Spheros from Tony but haven't given it a good workout yet, could have used the Rovex money for a Stella handle. The drag was up to it but the handle wasn't. Other things I noticed line holder on the reel was upside down and the line clicker didn't work. Poor quality control.

I suppose that it could have been just a one off flaw but I think I'm inclined to let the Rovex become my surf reel and keep the Spheros for the heavy work. It goes to show that most advice (best Shimano or Daiwa you can afford) is spot on, I still like Okuma spinning reels as well but I think only the new VS's would be up to jigging.

My advice save another 100 bucks and go the Spheros.

Cheers

Evil

some excellent feedback evil (even if it is negative)

i was considering the rovex as a temporary cheapy jigger for a while but i ended up getting a saltist 30T anyway, hasnt let me down yet and i love it

spheros reels are top notch pieces of gear, did you get the uprgaded drag?

sammy0884 has a 14000 fully pimped one and he can pull his car backwards with it

i ended up liking the o'head style narrow spool jigger and the saltist was right up my ally (and budget)

cheers for the info

CFD

Got the upgraded drag but not the Stella handle (yet) will probably get a 12000 size spare spool and then the handle.

Evil

Hey Netic, the stella has 2 different types of handles. They give you both with the stella 20000fa and I like the smaller, oval shaped handle rather than the long version that is on your reel. The smaller version allows you to grab the handle without using your whole hand. Daiwa Saltiga reels also come with the oval handle seems more ergonomic.

Cheers Kelvin

Guest danielinbyron

"Mate the Spheros 14000 with the upgrade is a very good peice of machinery....i can get well over 21kg of drag ou of the thing......nice reels" netic

re the drag increase from the upgrade, have u bench tested it netic ,,,if so how ? I spoke to dunphy lads and the word from them was that there is no significant increase in drag cap just longevity both in the rack and in a scrap.. the standard drags is 10 -12kgs.. The standard washers are felt , these smoke up and get compressed quicker than the carbon fibre replacements..

The upgrade costs are a bit rich when ya think about it..two washers and a set of bearings $30 ... why weren't they just built properly in the first place , bushes and felt washers??? ......a handle $70... wot the ..???? Getting them fitted to order at least the reel gets a service as they do it.. but If you think about it how are these parts worth more than 10 bucks? oh they are for fisherman.. bit like dirty old hawksbury prawns v fresh ones ... Having said all that i'm v happy with the performance of mine, particularly matched up to the rod saqa put together with it...lush

Edited by danielinbyron

Guest danielinbyron

Some tackle stores are asking $150 for this ... for how it competes in the market i think the reel is overall pretty good value but can't see for the life of me the pricing on the washers and bearing..

imagemagic.php.jpg

Hey Netic, the stella has 2 different types of handles. They give you both with the stella 20000fa and I like the smaller, oval shaped handle rather than the long version that is on your reel. The smaller version allows you to grab the handle without using your whole hand. Daiwa Saltiga reels also come with the oval handle seems more ergonomic.

Cheers Kelvin

I had the option to get either one of the handles and opted for the Powergrip one, mainly because it resembles a Tiagra handle and its looks good next too the collection of tiagras i have...

I didnt like the feel of the Knob handle, If Shimano had a Sphere handle like the dogfight i would have definately got it.

Guest nojunkmail

Hi guys,

i use the following rig for all of my jigs 200 grams and up...

- Owner size 8 split ring onto the jig eye

- Owner assist hook 6-7/0

- Owner size 7.5 solid ring with hook lanyard looped onto it

- Welded ball bearing swivel 145lb test minimum

Everything hangs off the split ring, which is attached to the jig eyelet... Never failed on me... i also use 100lb Jinkai leader tied to doubled braid (with a 40 turn bimini twist) with a 20 wrap albright knot.

Hi Sammy,

I am definitely intrigued by the setup in your pic, but I have some questions.

1)do you also have a hook at the bottom of the jig?

2) Dou you just tie the Jinkai trace to the swivel with a Uni knot or similar.? ie not crimped

3) what brand/model is that lure in the pic?

regards,

Nigel