Hawkesbury 20/9/06

inhlanzi

G'day Raiders

I havn't posted for a while but here is a long one.

Now as some of you know I have been trying to get a decent size Jewie for a while now and have had not much luck. In my quest to catch one of these amazing fish I have read heaps and asked a lot of questions. On Fishraider I met a bloke called Wayne and he has gone out of his way to teach me how he goes about catching big Jewies.

Wayne has amased me as to the kind of tackle, bait and hours that are required to catch these fish. I like to think I am a fairly good fisho but I learned a whole new world of the Jewie Fisherman.

I have learned about tides, knots, leaders, rods, reels, line, hooks, eskies, bait preparation, rod holders, rigs, sinkers, anchoring, boat accessories, moon phases, bait, bait rigs, gaffs, livie wells, things to do and things not to do.

I spent two days and a night out on the water in his boat and got to experience the Hawkesbury at its best. There was a lot of rain about and thus not many people about so we had the place pretty much to ourseves. We didn't get any fish but I sure learned heaps. His boat is specially kitted for jew fishing only!!!

In the last few weeks I have had a couple of close calls with these big fish and have come off second best.

Two weeks ago I hooked a soapie of about 50 cm on a live squid and he got nialed on the way up by a big Jew and as the light was almost gone I realised something had my fish! I didn't realise it was a BIG FELLA and proceeded to yank the soapie out of its mouth. He then turned under the boat and I saw he big pearl spots go under the motor. I just stood there and could not belive what I had just witnessed. The soapie had come to the surface belly up in the big ones mouth!!! and then I yanked him out. The good part was I had found them and I had seen one! ... a big one!

Last week I hooked a very nice fish on a livie and got it up to the side of the boat and I was going for the gaff and the big fella just looked at me shook his head the hooks came out and off he went. So close - but it left me in no doubt I had a chance...

So to this week...well yesterday turned out to be just one of those fanastic days out on the Hawkesbury.

The weather was awsome - minimal wind, nice and warm, got a bucket full of livies - yakkas and tailor and even a nice squid.

I bought a new Baitrunner on Saturday and it was on the rod that got hit. The rod buckled and then that special sound of the Baitrunner going off!!! ( Those of you who fish with them will know what I mean... ) After my recent near misses I tried to stay calm and just played the fish a best I could.

The moment that the fish comes into sight and you know it is a decent Jew is something very special indeed. Now I told myself don't stuff this up - loosened the drag and reached for the gaff, as he rolled on his side under his back and wham in with the gaff. Up and in the boat. Yabloodyhooooo at last . Into the esky and on bottles of ice. Now he only weighed 5.5 kg and went 90cm which most Jewie Fishermen will tell you is a baby - but I was stoked.

What has got me more excited is to imagine what a 10 or 20 or OMG what will a 30 kg fish do!!!

I think the essence of fishing is to set out to catch a particular species of fish using a specific method. When you do this it is VERY rewarding.

My new Jewfishing journey has been given a huge boost by the help and encouragement of a top bloke who knows his stuff and has been willing to share it. So to Wayne I know this is a small Jewie by your standards but a very special one to me. Thanks for all your help mate - it is really appreciated.

cheers

inhlanzi

This is a 90 cm and I estimate about 5.5kg fish. He has been damaged by a seal or a shark I think but he made a good account of himself .

post-1963-1158731759_thumb.jpg

Edited by inhlanzi

Guest fishrunner

Great report and good to hear the persistance has paid of :thumbup:

Hope the big ones come and say hello soon, sooner then later :biggrin2:

well done

cheers

well done inhlanzi :thumbup::thumbup:

Well done Wayno for sharing your advice, most fishermen keep secrets to themselves, shows that you are a geniune bloke who is willing to help another fisher when asked - very rare :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Now thats inspiring. My boat is moored up on the Hawkesbury and I try to get out there whenever I can - but catching a jewie (whatever the size - I don't care so long as its legal) has evaded me. There is obviously more to this than I realise.

Maybe I should study at the feet of Wayno the Jewfish Guru too. :biggrin2:

cheers

Mysterythecat

what an ugly looking jewie but a beauty at that.

congratulations on your first goodie its an awesome achievement.

what an amazing story about the soapie.

i ve caught jews with leatherjackets and flatties in there guts, its amzing to see what they consume even more amazing is they consume themselves

top stuff mate and good on ya wayno for helping out

Wow Raiders

Thanks very much for all the good words.

You got to love this medium, you have a great day fishing and then you are able to share it with 100s of other fishos and Jewnuts out there in cyberspace.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this site especially in Ken's articles and then you get a bloke like Wayne who will go out of his way to steer you in the right direction with all his knowlledge and all his help. Thanks mate and hope this is the start of a really good season.

Hey James I still have he 50cm soapie in my freezer with teethmarks and all. The sight of him in the bigguns mouth keeps me awake at night!

cheers

inhlanzi