Broadbill Charter Sept 23

inked

We kicked off at about 730 at San souci wharf. On board with me was Nicko, impulse, Mrs Impulse and Terry. Condolences to Big Steve who couldn't make it due to his dad being real ill. Ross Hunter was the skipper and we had Jonny as the super deckie ( half man, half monkey, this guy is awesome).

Met Stewy and his crew down there before they headeded out with Glenn aboard Billfisher. Great to meet you guys, and a big thanks to Stewy for helping me out over the past couple of days :thumbup:

The lines were set to troll a variety of minnows and skirts and a rotating roster was established to give everyone a fair chance. Half way out to Browns, and we are on. Nicko grabs the rod and after a suprisingly short fight we have this aprrox 30kg beauty boated. Good stuff Nick!

We were all pretty excited after that and anxiously watched the lines for any activity. Began cubing at Browns and drifted arouns until about 3 , when a pilly gets smashed and Mrs Impulse is up.

She goes hard but is fighting an uphill battle againsta monster. Terry gave her a hand for some extra leverage on the rod, and about 15 minutes later we get some colour. Things are looking good when the beast decides to run again.

Another 5 mins and its back to the boat. Ross is ready with the gaff but its still a good few metres out of reach. Another run and the YFT disappears again. By this stage Mrs Impulse is begging for mercy and wants to palm the rod off to Impulse. But the whole crew get behind her and encourage her to smash this fish ( C'mon Cilla, whats wrong with you!!!"). She bravely fights on and gets it bloody close to the boat. It looks big, maybe even bigger than Nickos but after half an hour of fighting it seems as though the 8/0 circle has worn a hole in its jaw and its away, safe to fight another day ( but probably not for a while).

On the way back home, Terry lands a little stripey with no problems at all. We were back at the ramp a bit after 630pm. Ross made me promise not to say anything too unkind about him on here, so I'll have to save that for the next time I see him :tease: . He was a great host,with a huge repitoire of stories and songs that he'll play for you on guitar.And jonny a brilliant deckie. It was the first time any of us had been out that wide, or even game fished and I am sure that we will all be at it again.

If anyone is looking for a charter, these guys come highly recommended. Hopefully I'll be out there again in the not to distant future

post-1053-1159051070_thumb.jpg

post-1053-1159051238_thumb.jpg

post-1053-1159051545_thumb.jpg

post-1053-1159051569_thumb.jpg

post-1053-1159051601_thumb.jpg

Edited by inked

Hi all,as inked said we all met at 7.30 am .

Onboard Billfisher was myself ,Smitty ,Paul,Anthony(big banana) his dad joe and Scott (Moonlightcreeper).

The conditons on the way out were pretty rough :1yikes: and the Billfisher handled it well .

We had a spread of similar lures to Broadbill and made our way out .

The further out we got the better the conditions and the wind was howling from the SW :wacko: not the Nw like the BOM had predicted.

No hits for us on the troll ,so Glen decided to find us a nice drift for a cube over the Mountain.

We were drifting beautifully with a 1.5 knots per hour drift .

Our deckie had a cube trail going in double quick time and 3 rods were despatched armed with 8/0 tuna circles and fresh pillies .

We had cubed for about an 1hr and I was just releiving our fabulous deckie on cubing duties for a well earned smoke and some tucker and potty break .

Scott was next to me and he said my line has gone tight :yahoo: Glen yells out strike and zzzzzz he is on .

A spirited fight ensued ,but Scott got the upper hand in quick time on the 50 stick and smacked a superb Yellowfin of around 35 kgs ,Glen made no mistake with the gaff and there was wild jubilation all round as this was Scotts first Yellowfin and a great one it was .

Expectation were high now as the Fin were around this area ,but the bloody wind changed direction on us and we drifted away from the action .We couldnt relocate as we had a great trail going .

We called it quits around 4 .30 pm with no more bites .

The crew we had on board was fantastic and we shared many laughs and stories.

Thanks lads for a top day out and to Glen and your fantastic deckie thanks for a top day out and a very professional charter .

As I was burleying while the Fin was landed ,no pics .Some of the others got a few though and will send them when we can .

post-256-1159087558_thumb.jpg

post-256-1159087541_thumb.jpg

post-256-1159087572_thumb.jpg

post-256-1159087583_thumb.jpg

Cheers Stewy

Congrats guys, its nice to know both teams came home with the goods. Some exciting moments as the fin circle just out of gaff range. Sorry about Mrs Impulse's fish where to hook droped out. So close and she would have worked hard. At least you got to see it, nothing worse than spending hours on a good fish, loosing it and never getting to see it or confirm what it was.

Some tuna for every one to take home.

Cheers

Martin

It was a great day on the water and as they say "thats fishing".

I thought I'd post a couple more pics and some of the killer whales you saw on the way back.

A big thanks to Ross and Johno.

The "BillFisher"

post-1711-1159182910_thumb.jpg

"The fight is on....."

post-1711-1159183035_thumb.jpg

"The one that got away....... and it will get bigger as the story's repeated.

post-1711-1159183144_thumb.jpg

"There she blows"

"Jaws....."

post-1711-1159183264_thumb.jpg

post-1711-1159183402_thumb.jpg

Edited by impulse