Ways To Clean Fishing Gear

ophet

Hi all,

Was interested to hear how people cleaned their fishing gear after each session, and what maintenance techniques are used or required to ensure your gear is kept in good working order.

I hear that using WD40 is meant to be good, does anyone use this technique? Does it not foul the line and leave residue on the line which may put fish off?

I normally just lightly spray my gear with water, especially the line on the reel and give it a wipe with a dry cloth.

Cheers.

I stand my rods up and give them a good light spray with the hose then clean the bait residue off with WD40 followed with a good wipe over the rod and grips. I have been told that kerosene has no effect on distracting fish. The same tackle shop owner reckons that the anglers in Victoria soak their bait in it to catch snapper.

Regards

gafmo

I tighten my drag all the way up and give then rod and reel a wash down with the sponge that I am using to clean the boat.

Once they are dry I then spray some Inox on a clean rag and give the reels a wipe over and then remove the reels from the rods for storage.

Once dry I then loosen the drag.

Either right or wrong this is the method that I use.

I would be interested to hear what other people do.

Regards

Paul.

I tighten my drag all the way up and give then rod and reel a wash down with the sponge that I am using to clean the boat.

Once they are dry I then spray some Inox on a clean rag and give the reels a wipe over and then remove the reels from the rods for storage.

Once dry I then loosen the drag.

Either right or wrong this is the method that I use.

I would be interested to hear what other people do.

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul,

I assume that tightening the drag makes the reel more water proof, and releasing the drag takes the pressure off the washers. People should remember to loosen the drag afterwards.

Sounds like a good approach, thanks for the tip.

445f

Put the gear in the shower with you after a trip (no jokes about washing your rod down!). Let the rods air dry, towel off the reels and spray with Inox, far better than WD and much safer on line etc, and wipe off the excess with a rag. I have a rag for each reel and wrap the reel in it after wiping off.

I just discovered Inox...no petro's or silicons...great for reels, boat stuff etc very impressed.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by chrisg

Hi Paul,

I assume that tightening the drag makes the reel more water proof, and releasing the drag takes the pressure off the washers. People should remember to loosen the drag afterwards.

Sounds like a good approach, thanks for the tip.

445F,

Yeah the reson I tighten the drag is to efectively waterproof the internals.

I always store the reels with a loose drag setting.

As I said I don't know if I am taking the right approach but this has worked well for me up till now.

Regards

Paul.

Thanks for that Chris,

I like the idea of wrapping the reel in a rag.

Edited by rzep

Guest Big-Banana

Tighten the drag up, give them a light hose down (as too not blow the salt inside), wash with a sponge and a bit of soap. Turn the drag right off and put the ratchet on.

I do pretty much the same, tighten the drags and wash with freshwater then loosen the drags

The only thing i do different is never use inox, i have been told by a few pro's that it stuffs your line.

I use Reel Care, a product which doesnt harm your line.

Inox is much like WD40 and i wouldnt let WD40 get on my line

445f

Put the gear in the shower with you after a trip (no jokes about washing your rod down!). Let the rods air dry, towel off the reels and spray with Inox, far better than WD and much safer on line etc, and wipe off the excess with a rag. I have a rag for each reel and wrap the reel in it after wiping off.

I just discovered Inox...no petro's or silicons...great for reels, boat stuff etc very impressed.

Cheers

Chris

Chis

You Have 14 foot ceilings in your Bathroom ???????????

Mick

Hi guys

I find that Lanox is even better than Inox. It is from the same camp, but has lanolin in it & has natural anti rusting properties. I remove the spool & spray the base of the shaft. If there is a hole in the face plate, I spray some in there whilst turning the bail, so the Lanox gets spread around inside as well. I spray all moving parts - rollers etc, even the handle and anti-reverse lever. Since doing that I have had no real problems (so to speak!) Usually, I treat the reels I use most every month or so. If one gets dunked in salt water, I rinse it in fresh water asap then virtually saturate it with Lanox & have not lost one yet. Great stuff

Cheers

Roberta

Netic,

I am carefull not to get any inox on the line and I remove the spool before I spray.

Sorry I should of said that.

Regards

Paul.

Removeing the spool would fix the issue of geting it on your line but i use larger overheads most of the time and dont have the luxury of removing the spool, so therefore i dont use inox

I do pretty much the same, tighten the drags and wash with freshwater then loosen the drags

The only thing i do different is never use inox, i have been told by a few pro's that it stuffs your line.

I use Reel Care, a product which doesnt harm your line.

Inox is much like WD40 and i wouldnt let WD40 get on my line

I've been told by pros that Inox won't harm the line unlike WD40. Will look into Reel Care.

This is going to open up the hornets nest - Inox blurb specifically says that the spray does not affect lines at all! It says that some rubber compounds may be affected with prolonged use.

Check out:

http://www.inox-mx3.com/product_detail.php...ID=APPLICATIONS

I didn't recall the 'mx3' part, but upon checking my tin downstairs, it is on the back, as part of the lubricant!

So, anyone that reckons their line has been damaged/destroyed by Inox could have a right to complain to the company!

Has anyone had actual damage that they can attribute to Inox, or is it just an urban myth or a story heard third hand??

Cheers

Roberta

hi all

I like the Inox as it is pretty much inert..won't harm much according to manufacturers. I sprayed it on spools from 4lb to 50 lb and Fireline and have had no ill effects so far. In fact my knots on the leader end are tighter and don't kink as their lubricated!

WD40 et al are based on petroleum distillates..never liked spraying it around much.

Cheers

Chris

Mick...with 14ft i could do half in my shower and half in the nieghours :1prop:

Hi all,

Was interested to hear how people cleaned their fishing gear after each session, and what maintenance techniques are used or required to ensure your gear is kept in good working order.

I hear that using WD40 is meant to be good, does anyone use this technique? Does it not foul the line and leave residue on the line which may put fish off?

I normally just lightly spray my gear with water, especially the line on the reel and give it a wipe with a dry cloth.

Cheers.

I guess what this thread has highlighted is that there is no real right or wrong way to clean your gear (fishing that is). People have their own thoughts and suspicions, and what ever seems to work for people, they will stick to it.

What I grasp is that everyone is in agreeance that a light spray of water (after tightening the drag) and a wipe down with a cloth is all good. Some people will use WD40/Inox/Lanox/Reel Care on their rods and reels, however the consensus seems to be that most people do not like getting stuff on their line (whether it actually has any detrimental effects or not). So care taken when spraying or wiping with any of the products is recommended.

This thread has definately helped me, and I will be trying some of the products suggested. Trial and error is always good, but advice from other people's experience helps reduce the errors.

BTW - don't forget to loosen the drag after cleaning.

Cheers Guys, have a good long weekend of fishing. Unfortunately no fishing for me, as I am off getting married !!!

I guess what this thread has highlighted is that there is no real right or wrong way to clean your gear (fishing that is). People have their own thoughts and suspicions, and what ever seems to work for people, they will stick to it.

What I grasp is that everyone is in agreeance that a light spray of water (after tightening the drag) and a wipe down with a cloth is all good. Some people will use WD40/Inox/Lanox/Reel Care on their rods and reels, however the consensus seems to be that most people do not like getting stuff on their line (whether it actually has any detrimental effects or not). So care taken when spraying or wiping with any of the products is recommended.

This thread has definately helped me, and I will be trying some of the products suggested. Trial and error is always good, but advice from other people's experience helps reduce the errors.

BTW - don't forget to loosen the drag after cleaning.

Cheers Guys, have a good long weekend of fishing. Unfortunately no fishing for me, as I am off getting married !!!

445f

You won't be doing much reel cleaning then.......for a lifetime! :biggrin2:

I asked the wife to wash down the reels once...found them in the dishwasher.

Congrats

Chris

:074: ha ha, I should make the missus sign a pre-nup, saying that she will not inhibit my fishing practice and would assist in cleaning my fishing gear after each session !!!

She knows how important fishing is to me, and would not dare make me choose, cause she knows which will win :1fishing1:

Cheers.