Todays Efforts Sydney Harbour

bastik

I am blessed to work at McMahons Point and throwing the odd lure out for a lunch break is becoming a daily occurance with this great weather.

Generally I catch the daily flathead. Current record stands at 4 flathead, one whiting and one squid in a one hour session.

Today's efforts gained me the fugliest fish ever caught. (must match the head of the fisherman who caught it)

Caught on a 7.5cm mad shad. Maybe an entry for fish of the month!!!post-1468-1159341590_thumb.jpg

I haven't seen anything that ugly since the last time I was at Biggles :1wine: at 3am!!

After getting home early and switching the tele on - there was a kids show on 9 that was talking about Puffer fish and they showed one that looked identical and called it a Porcupine fish a relative of the puffer. As I saw the post before the show the colouration and the size of the spikes look spot on.

Casper

Porcupine fish a relative of the puffer. As I saw the post before the show the colouration and the size of the spikes look spot on.

True, Casper. The burrfish and the porcupinefish both look very similar. It's not a fantastic photo, so I suggested burrfish. The porcupinefish is extremely close, though - and more common. Here's a pic of the three-barred porcupinefish (Dicotylichthys punctulatus) - I've caught these too - and it does look similar to the fish in the pic:

post-1466-1159432670_thumb.jpg

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

It sure is ugly....the fish isnt that crash hot either... :074:

Guys This is what i found

Habitat: Sheltered and moderately exposed reef, sand; 0 – 50 m depth

Distribution: WA to NSW and around Tasmania

Maximum size: Length to 280 mm

Comments:

Also called Porcupine fish. When threatened, the fish inflates rapidly with outward facing spines. This causes eaten fish to become lodged in the throat of predators.

Maybe I should enter in fish of the month. This thing wasnt far from 28cm.

Went down today again. Managed one flatty about 38cm.

Thank you Tiger Shark and Penguin for your comments. Thats what a bloke gets for been a closet member for almost a year reading FR religiously. Finally decide to add a bit after feeling like i know you all and i get slamed. That doesnt happen on FR. Back in the closet for me. hehe

Guys This is what i found

Habitat: Sheltered and moderately exposed reef, sand; 0 – 50 m depth

Distribution: WA to NSW and around Tasmania

Maximum size: Length to 280 mm

Comments:

Also called Porcupine fish. When threatened, the fish inflates rapidly with outward facing spines. This causes eaten fish to become lodged in the throat of predators.

Maybe I should enter in fish of the month. This thing wasnt far from 28cm.

Went down today again. Managed one flatty about 38cm.

Thank you Tiger Shark and Penguin for your comments. Thats what a bloke gets for been a closet member for almost a year reading FR religiously. Finally decide to add a bit after feeling like i know you all and i get slamed. That doesnt happen on FR. Back in the closet for me. hehe

Come back outta the closet mate your one of the FR boys now,

and Im sure glad u didnt eat that Puffer or what eva it is,its good to

know your still with us :yahoo:

:beersmile: penguin