Buy Reels Overseas

David C

hi there does anyone buy tackle from o/s who do u go through and is there much of a benerfet i was looking at the new team daiwa-z2000cu and overseas its us$499 and over here its the same au$499 dont understand who do u go through to order reels :confusuion:

Some of the sellers on ebay have good reels at pretty good prices. Ive been looking into it for a bit, as future purchases are going to be made, and some of the okuma prices are very good.

Ie. Okuma Titus Gold 2 speed 15 $499 at Campbells (Australia) and US$179.00 from a seller off ebay. Once you add postage and exchange rate, still a massive saving.

I did a quick search and couldnt find the Daiwa reel you specified, but I found something else. Daiwa Certate 2500R Campbells AU$785, ebay buy now price US$323. Did a quick currency conversion, you could get it for around AU$450. Even less now the dollar is starting to gain.

Some great deals out there on Ebay

Got a sustain 4000 NIB 180 US

and just got an OKUMA Titus 15 2 speed for 147 USD plus 29 postage

I guess there is a lot of buyer beware involved but if you do youre research and dont get carried away with it you can do pretty well

Ive also bought a bunch of fly fishing gear there is some great stuff around that never makes it to the Australian Markets. and flylines are great prices.

One lesson is dont get carried away bidding on something everything turns up again and you can pay to much only to see the same item sell for half the price afew weeks later example someone paid 192 US for the same titus 15 that I got for 147 just a few days earlier.

Got to say that Ive bought around 20 items using ebay and have not been ripped off in fact quite the opposite, a couple of sellers have thrown in some freebies, (leaders, flies etc). and the only time I started to worry about delivery (late) the seller offered to refund. Item turned up a couple of days later, problem at my post office I think.

But a please dont bid against Aussiefisho cos thats me.

Regards Pogo

Be wary of Jap reels on Ebay. I know one online shop that puts all the faulty stock on there rather than selling it through the store.  :thumbdown:

If you are sure on this point Swoff...Could you elaborate, so as none of us get stung? :confusuion: A name perhaps?

Alot of the gear that ends up being sold as "new" on ebay is genuine. Its normally overstock, clearance or liquidated stock, and also superseeded models. I just today recieved my new toy from the states care of ebay. An Orvis Redington AL9/10 large arbour fly reel. Ended up costing me $180AUS for a reel that retailed over here for well over $300. US retail is $200US. This reel is now superseeded with new models coming out this year - hence selling off the old stock.

Great reel, just put 300m 30pd braid, a 9# fly line, and could have fitted another 100 to 200 m of braid. Far better than anything I could have got here for twice the price :)

With ebay, make sure you one: Check the sellers feedback rating first, then two: test the reel first before posting your feedback. Sellers dont normally want bad feedback and will make sure everything is right to maintain that feedback.

Adrian

Interested to here about the Redington AL 9/10

How is the reel going , Ive bid on a couple on ebay but have decided to try

and get an ML 9/10 which was the precursor to the brakewater

be interested to here feedback on redington fly reels

regards POGO

POGO

So far only just managed to spool it up tonight, so cant tell you too much. Will get it out on the weekend and see whats around Broken Bay. If I can berly up some kings it shold test it out I reckon :)

The reel is not light, but not overly heavy either - about the same as some of the other 9/10 weights out there. Its wide and a good large arbour, but still takes a hell of a long time to wind on 300m of backing :-rolleyes . Fits the backing (30 pound braid) and a weight forward 9# no problems at all. Reel is smooth, and drag feels pretty good. Looking forward to getting it our on the water.

Will keep you posted.

Adrian

To swoff and other importers, has anyone imported rods?? I guess it would be much more expensive and risky but there really is some outstanding equipment from Jap.

When Mick got his sponsorship delivery from diawa they sent him a luvias, certate, alpha, TDZ 103, 2 heartland z and 2 Team Daiwa Battler rods. I managed to talk him into passing on one of the TD Battlers and it is by far the best performing, best looking, best guide placing and quality, and lightest rod I own. I have owned most of the popular high quality brand rods (loomis, BD, miller) and I can't say they even come close to my Jap Battler. I would definately buy more TD Battlers if a better range was available locally

To swoff and other importers, has anyone imported rods??  I guess it would be much more expensive and risky but there really is some outstanding equipment from Jap.

When Mick got his sponsorship delivery from diawa they sent him a luvias, certate, alpha, TDZ 103, 2 heartland z and 2 Team Daiwa Battler rods.  I managed to talk him into passing on one of the TD Battlers and it is by far the best performing, best looking, best guide placing and quality, and lightest rod I own.  I have owned most of the popular high quality brand rods (loomis, BD, miller) and I can't say they even come close to my Jap Battler.  I would definately buy more TD Battlers if a better range was available locally

I've only seen a few Battlers 'in the flesh' and as you say they're a top quality rod. Rick if you ever come across this particular model let me know :)

DEVEL 03

6101MLFS-03 6’10†1 ML 98 1.5 9.9 Max.3/8 4-12 3-6 99

Daiwa Battler Limited DEVEL 03

Joe

Edited by Pukka

Swoff ABA is part of those getting the Daiwa stuff but they have only been able to get Z's in again, no battlers for ages now. I am crossing my fingers they start coming in again cause the model I grabbed "Python" for bassing and deep jigging for bream only retailed around the $300-350 price range when ABA had a couple in stock which I think is a good pricing for such a high quality rod. I let u know Joe if ABA get anything like that in stock, I think that specific model is an extremely high modulous rod so is much more expensive.

Ive only had one rod shipped to me US to AUS and that was only because there was absolutely no chance of ever getting one here.

Ibought the rod on EBAY and then got the seller to pack it in its alloy tube and then into a pvc pipe ( The pressure variety).

Got here ok :sun: but I was sweating on it.big time.

It also wasnt that long, 3 feet in its case.

I think you stand a good chanceif you can get them packaged well

regards Pogo

Ive had blanks up to 7ft sent from the state before without too many problems. Saying that, one turned up broken but think that it was like that before it left (it was a cheapy over-run blank). The tackle shop that sneds them pack them only in a light PVC tube with rubber end caps and send them by Fed-ex. The biggest problem is the shipping costs - can cost up to $45US per delivery depending upon where you get them from - shop around for delivery price as well as the retail price of the rod.

Adrian

Guys i import z's from a friend overseas who gets the discontinued models. If anyone is after one let me know :1naughty:

Ive had blanks up to 7ft sent from the state before without too many problems. Saying that, one turned up broken but think that it was like that before it left (it was a cheapy over-run blank).  The tackle shop that sneds them pack them only in a light PVC tube with rubber end caps and send them by Fed-ex.  The biggest problem is the shipping costs - can cost up to $45US per delivery depending upon where you get them from - shop around for delivery price as well as the retail price of the rod.

Adrian

16819[/snapback]

Most of the z's are available over here but if u can get battlers I would definately be interested. Please pm me if u can. ABA got in a new import baitcaster from Daiwa this week called a pixie, looks a bit like the bait cast model of the saegake midge d, so hopefully more of these imports start to come in as more demand is put on daiwa.

Guys i  import z's from a friend overseas who gets the discontinued models. If anyone is after one let me know :1naughty:
Ive had blanks up to 7ft sent from the state before without too many problems. Saying that, one turned up broken but think that it was like that before it left (it was a cheapy over-run blank).  The tackle shop that sneds them pack them only in a light PVC tube with rubber end caps and send them by Fed-ex.  The biggest problem is the shipping costs - can cost up to $45US per delivery depending upon where you get them from - shop around for delivery price as well as the retail price of the rod.

Adrian

16819[/snapback]

17409[/snapback]