Cobia

R_Zee

I dont know where your planning on fishing for them but can recommend South West Rocks. A friends dad landed an 18kg specimen a month ago.

If your like me and fish in Sydney I wont be much help. All I can tell you is that I managed to fluke one, last summer at North Head. It wasnt large, only 50cm but I was happy as they are quite rare in Sydney.

Was fishing a reefy structure at North Head using a whole dead squid during the day chasing Kingfish.

I guess its not much help but it might be worth something.

Guest IFishSick.

I've never targeted them but have seen them chase a jacket up from the bottom off Botany Bay heads. Pretty exciting cause they look like sharks.

I dont know where your planning on fishing for them but can recommend South West Rocks. A friends dad landed an 18kg specimen a month ago.

If your like me and fish in Sydney I wont be much help. All I can tell you is that I managed to fluke one, last summer at North Head. It wasnt large, only 50cm but I was happy as they are quite rare in Sydney.

Was fishing a reefy structure at North Head using a whole dead squid during the day chasing Kingfish.

I guess its not much help but it might be worth something.

I am planning to spend most of January at Jervis Bay...

Never fished South west rocks...

I heard some people got a few around the heads when the water was at its warmest last year.

Thanks anyway champ.

I've never targeted them but have seen them chase a jacket up from the bottom off Botany Bay heads. Pretty exciting cause they look like sharks.

When i visited green island in cairns they had a cobia in a pond with some other fish.

I thought it was a chark before i read the sign.

thats interesting... Jackets for live bait! hehe

Cobia are very rare in Sydney, although we do get the odd catch here and there if you wanna chase cobes you gotta go to South West Rocks.

They school up there often, but be careful and SWR has famous bar that can be very dangerous

Cobia are very rare in Sydney, although we do get the odd catch here and there if you wanna chase cobes you gotta go to South West Rocks.

They school up there often, but be careful and SWR has famous bar that can be very dangerous

Thanks Nectic...

not too keen on rock fishing!

especially areas im not familiar with.

have u got any off the boat?

Thanks Nectic...

not too keen on rock fishing!

especially areas im not familiar with.

have u got any off the boat?

people get them all the time up at SWR off boats ..... they are caught around sydney most summers but are not around in numbers (one that went 18kg was caught off sydney during winter !) but head to SWR if you really want them ..... port stephens has them on and off but as said definantly SWR

We have them in plague proportions up here at the moment. Mostly around the 20 - 30lb mark this time of year. In winter the big snodgers come along. Fight like dogs they do.

post-194-1160299919_thumb.jpg

lucky bast@rd!

i have heard some unconfirmed reports of cobia being caught in the hawkesburry?

I have also heard alot of LBG'ers target them at port stephens?

We have them in plague proportions up here at the moment. Mostly around the 20 - 30lb mark this time of year. In winter the big snodgers come along. Fight like dogs they do.

post-194-1160299919_thumb.jpg

nice!

you better turn around and grab that other rod, looks like you may be on :074:

nice!

you better turn around and grab that other rod, looks like you may be on :074:

Was only a 3kg pearlie on the end of that rod :tease:

Seriously though, if you want to target them, then you must go to where they frequent for a start. No good hoping for a bycatch in say Sydney HArbour or the Hawkesbury.

Big live baits about 10m up off the bottom will see you connected to one, if they are in the area.

Hey guys,

onw of my summer goals is to land a cobia.

Any size will do.

Can anyone help?

Good Luck with that. Anyone I know whose caught one has usually said it was an incidental catch when fishing for KINGS. One bloke reckons he was towed from the RIP bridge to Woy Woy. So finding one is the first challenge, the second part is landing the bugger.

all the best and I look forward to hearing your report when you get one

Davo

Good Luck with that. Anyone I know whose caught one has usually said it was an incidental catch when fishing for KINGS. One bloke reckons he was towed from the RIP bridge to Woy Woy. So finding one is the first challenge, the second part is landing the bugger.

all the best and I look forward to hearing your report when you get one

Davo

Thanks Davo!

will get one one day!

I caught a couple of cobes fishing for kingies in January and February around Palm beach. I heard of a lot of cobes being caught in that area. The biggest of the two weighed 11kg. Thought it was a shark and was about to cut the thing off!! BUt definitely SW rocks is the way to go.

Cheers Kelvin