An Unforgettable Day On The Hawkesbury...

Mysterythecat

The day had to come where I had to put all of my new-found expertise in fishing in these waters into practise. It has been a few weeks since I last went out and I was itching to go again. Circumstances and prior committments were keeping me from my goal - which is to catch something worth keeping. Sunday on the Hawkesbury was not going to be my day...

Earlier last week I was talking to a mate and we decided that the coming weekend was the ideal time for him to see the new boat and maybe wet a line in the process. Saturday was looking good. Forecast was good and we were on. Two hours later he rings me and sheepishly asks if he can bring the wife. "Fine" said I (I know his misses and we get on fine), "I'll bring mine" I foolishly added. (I need to explain - my boat is a 27 foot cruiser so women folk think its fine to come along and sip wine from the main deck while blokes fish off the back).

Whoops - another catch. Spouses are busy on Saturday, can we go Sunday? Looking at the forecast I thought "hmmm.. dodgy but we'll be on the river, it probably won't be too bad and if it comes up rough, we can always go back in.

Sunday comes. Looking fine, although late start (10am) to suit the women-folk. Got to the marina where boat is berthed. First thing I noticed is that one battery is completely dead. Someone had left the refridgerator running and the shore power is switched off - draining said battery. No problem - switch over and away we go. Fool.

Got to a likely looking spot just off Milsons Island at the start of the channel. Women folk sip wine while my mate and I start casting lines out. We were trying everything: SP's prawns, pillies... nothing happening. Just when we were thinking of moving on, we get a nibble. An undersize flathead (returned). It was approaching the turn of the tide, and encourged by this minimal success we decide to stay put and try a bit longer. A small Bream (returned), a red snapper (returned) another Bream (also undersized - also returned). Then zip. Not a nibble.

Then the wind hit. Anyone who was out on Sunday wouldn't have failed to notice. We decide to stay put and get through the intial burst (and have a bite to eat while we wait, still playing at catching fish although by now we had given up hope).

Eventually we decide it was time to go. Turn the key. The worse sound I know is that "click click click" sound as you discover while you have been sitting there, the inverter switch has been on, draining your other battery. We were dead in the water.

Quick call to Seatow - "bring some jumper leads". This is when I discover that I am not a member - because the application form I thought my wife had mailed off 3 weeks ago is still sitting on the kitchen bench at home. Bugger. $310 for a call out. Thats about 2 and half years membership.

Eventually he arrives (an hour later having to travel up from Pittwater) and we are on our way back.

My mate and I have decided we will go out again in a week or so. We are unanimous that it will be a woman free zone. :mad3:

Hope everyone else was doing better than me over the weekend but then again, you could not help but.

cheers

Mysterythecat

i know what you went through,

i had a boat that every time i took it out something would go wrong, so i decided to upgrade to a haines 630f, as for the wifes tagging along, we tried it once and once only, when you go fishing u are meant to relax, but our wives had other ideas, they would not stop wingeing from the time we got there to the time we left.that was the last time we took them

Guest Sea Tow Botany

Bad luck with the batteries, hope you have more luck next time

$135 12 month Sea Tow membership is cheap

We got smashed out there in those conditions on sunday what a terrible day to be on the water :(:(

Cheers

Dave

Sea Tow Botany Bay

What a day!!! I hope you told the Seatow guys that you were a fishraider as Seatow sponsors our site.

Check out the Seatow link and get a membership happening people :thumbup:

SEATOW CLICK HERE

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

That would have been a smart thing to do... only I was sitting there fuming :mad3: and thinking smart went west a long time earlier.

Needless to say, it was the first thing I did when I went home.

cheers

Mysterythecat