Poddy Mullet Traps

Davemmm

Long time reader, first time poster.

Ive just come back from another reasonably unsuccesful attempt at hunting poddies (four in an hour).

In the past i havent had too much trouble getting them to trap but lately they have been extremely timid.

I use an old cordial bottle 1" X 1 1/2" hole in the top with 1/4" flaps folded down on an angle and i was wondering if anyone has a u beaut patented option that might work better.

Ive just come back from another reasonably unsuccesful attempt at hunting poddies (four in an hour).

In the past i havent had too much trouble getting them to trap but lately they have been extremely timid.

I use an old cordial bottle 1" X 1 1/2" hole in the top with 1/4" flaps folded down on an angle and i was wondering if anyone has a u beaut patented option that might work better.

davemmm,

Thats the method i use, a juice bottle with a hole but my hole is about 4cm by 10cm. See if there are any poddies in the area by throwing some bread in first. Make sure you place your trap in shallow non tidal water near weed beds. Thats where I find most poddies to be. Also try microwaving your bread to make it crumbly as this will disperse through the water better. What I usually do is place some bread into the trap and some floating on top of it. Once they finish eating the bread on top they will venture in. It is also best when you re-set your trap to leave one poddy in and others will follow in.

Guest danielinbyron

As well as bread try a lilttle bit of soap.. like about half an inch cube of sunlight... don't know why this works.. but it duz...

As well as bread try a lilttle bit of soap.. like about half an inch cube of sunlight... don't know why this works.. but it duz...

Cheers guys

every little tip helps with these buggers.

Ill give the soap a go. Just hope no one sees me and asks what the hell the soap is for.

G`day Fellas ,

Dave , check out the link below , scroll down to my post , and see if it matches what you and the others are doing.

Now this may sound a bit odd , but sometimes you need to Change bottles , have a good look at the ones I use , and especially where you cut the hole.

For some strange reason I can`t explain , poddies will avoid some bottles like the Plague.

I have actually seen some fellas try all day for a nil result , and when I have put my trap in ....bingo... chockers within 10 mins.

I like to cast a small handfull of dry bread crumbs over the spot I`m going to set my traps , but a lot of others use a scoop of bran .

But I think Bread crumbs sink quicker than bran.

Mick

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...25&hl=poddy

I went to McCarrs Creek this afternoon using the same type of trap, i like to place bread crums in the trap and long with some shells (plenty at location) for weight, a small piece 40mm x 40mm of bread fill with water - lift from water - shake to stir - place back into water with about 300mm above.

Baged out in 1/2 hour (20) - now in my tank ready for my next trip.

I helps to leave 1 in the trap to stir up(berley) the others - there seem to find there way in when one remains in the trap

mick

your bottle is pretty much identical to the one i use.

Ill duck over this arvo with a new bottle, soap, microwaved bread and maybe a magic chrystal and see how I go.

G`day Dave ,

I dont use soap to clean the inside of the bottle , just warm to hot water , and wiped clean with a clean tea towel.

So good luck , & lets see how you go mate!.

Mick

how do u use the bottle dosnt it float at the top?

Kabz , a sinker , a handfull of gravel , shells , a rock , anything that will weigh the Thing down.

Mick

G`day Fellas ,

Kelso Beach , is probably one of the best spots you can find for Poddies Mate.

Especially where the Stormwater drain empties into the River.

Should take you no less than 20 minutes to bag out there Lasty .

Just Make a trap like the one shown in the link , and just turn up !.

Mick

Mate i was a long time poddy mullet/flathead fisherman. Thats just podying!! Some days they que up to go in and other days they won't even look at it. Try varying the depths of your trap by placing it in deeper water on top of a rock or a few bricks. Have a couple of alternative spots, and move between them, thoughthe chances are that if you don't get them at one place you waon't get them at another. Failing that just catch them on a hook. It would be very unusual if you couldn't get them one way or anther. another type of trap that works well is a broken clear fluorescent tube.

Good luck

Davo

Hi guy,

If you're designing home-made poddy traps, it might be worthwhile looking at the fishing regs.

In NSW, the entry hole size shouldn't exceed 6 cm.

Unless you want to risk a run-in with a fisheries inspector.

I'm currently modifying my trap to make sure it meets the requirements.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

G`day Fellas ,

Kenny ,how about you post the link , so we can see what the regulations are in full .

6 cms what ? wide long ?, Square ? .

Mick

This is the one I think you are refering to Mate .

And I think I`m Ok , because one could argue that the opening is less than 6 cms wide .

But if the day ever comes , when Fishing Inspectors are found to be roaming the foreshores of our Estuaries measuring Poddy Traps openings , they I will definately give it all away.

Mick

Edited by OWZAT

Hi Mick,

Yes. That's the one.

Might be different up your way, but around The Entrance and Brisbane Water on the Central Coast it's not unheard of for Fisheries to walk the foreshores, particularly near launching ramps.

I suppose it's up to each person to decide if they want to run the risk.

I've been told the maximum entry hole size is to prevent other species, such as small bream, from entering the trap. So not a bad rule.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

• 5 months later...

Hey guys

Dredging up an old post here I know but I just found it so thought I'd add my 2 cents worth as I don't get much of a chance to contribute here (I'd love to but I'm just a rank amature & my advice is usually better kept to myself.) Anyway, I have some experience with this subject so this time I can contribute.

SOAP - We use soap in freshwater shrimp traps (Central west NSW, Macquarie River) I was told by an old hand to get some cheap, not fancy, soap & scrunch up some slithers of it with a few gum leaves & put that in the trap bait pocket. I thought, "Yeah right, this fella saw me comin' a mile away"

Well folks, it works, nothing but soap & gum leaves & we catch more shrimp than we can use. Apparently its something to do with the animal fat in the soap.

Just going off the topic here.

Has anyone tried a floating trap rather than one sitting on the bottom?

For poddies. Maybe a juice bottle floating with holes in the sides tied to a sinker on the bottom.

reason for asking is that i see the larger 5 to 6inch mullets hanging out a little deeper.

Mr RB

Hey guys

Dredging up an old post here I know but I just found it so thought I'd add my 2 cents worth as I don't get much of a chance to contribute here (I'd love to but I'm just a rank amature & my advice is usually better kept to myself.) Anyway, I have some experience with this subject so this time I can contribute.

SOAP - We use soap in freshwater shrimp traps (Central west NSW, Macquarie River) I was told by an old hand to get some cheap, not fancy, soap & scrunch up some slithers of it with a few gum leaves & put that in the trap bait pocket. I thought, "Yeah right, this fella saw me comin' a mile away"

Well folks, it works, nothing but soap & gum leaves & we catch more shrimp than we can use. Apparently its something to do with the animal fat in the soap.

Edited by Mr Rosebay

Guest Aussie007
Has anyone tried a floating trap rather than one sitting on the bottom?

For poddies. Maybe a juice bottle floating with holes in the sides tied to a sinker on the bottom.

reason for asking is that i see the larger 5 to 6inch mullets hanging out a little deeper.

Mr RB

the trap OWZAT posted is what i use to catch alot of poddys in chipping norton lake there the larger type we can have all 2-3 of our limit in around an hour the fish in chpping norton lake dont seem to be worried about the rope thickness however i tryed catching poddys at sussex inlet with a thick peice of rope they wouldnt go near the trap i than tryed 20lb fishing line bigger improvement but still only caught a few smaller 3" poddys the trap needs to be floated just below the surface use one of those big foam floats with a weighted bottom berly up well with bread than toss the trap out than more berly right on top of thetrap the school of mullet will crowed around the trap eating the bread in a frenzy thats when ur trap will fill u also need to catch them during the day ive onyl caught 1 poddy at night