Port Stephens Fad - Feb 06

njsconst

I know this report is a bit late but found these photos in the archives of a trip fishing around Port Stephens in Feb 2006. Thought I 'd post them to get people motivated as the warmer water will move in shortly and these great sport fish will turn up again.

Caught a heap of slimies at Tomaree Head then headed the 22.5kms from the mouth of Port Stephens out to the FAD. It was one of those magic days when everything went right. The water was flat and was able to sit on around 35kph the whole way out.

Once we arrived at the FAD there was only two other boats there (one was a charter boat). You have got to love mid week fishing to miss the hustle and bustle of the weekend invasion. Water temp was a nice 22 degrees.

Hooked a slimy through the jaw with a mustard big gun 7/0 hook and tossed him into the water about 100mts from the FAD itself. The slimy was only in the water for about 30 seconds when it got smashed by a better fish. My shimano backbone rod and TLD 25 with 15kg line was great fun.

About 25 minutes later my mate sunk the gaff into him and he was in the boat. The moment he hit the deck the fish spat the hook out........how lucky. There was high fives all round!

post-2204-1160903714_thumb.jpg

Spent about an hour and half at the FAD itself and ended up with a great feed of dolphin fish. Got the better fish on live slimies and the smaller ones on whole pillies. I am keen to try soft platics on them this season.

post-2204-1160903751_thumb.jpg

Gibbofisho your timing is exellent mate,

im heading up there on Friday with the Boys from the

RootyHill RSL Fishing Club for a couple of days fishing

on a charter boat. Would be happy to boat a Dollie half

that size (what a bull), anyway thanks for the thread mate,

that should keep me going till Friday.

Bring it on.

Gaff