Where To Shop

my03

hey guys, was ater a new sp outfit with max budget of 15, and also i need a place that sotcks a wide rang, good prices, and the bread and butter stuff like hooks etc, with good deals, whreres the best place to go?

im on the north shore but dont mind travelling if its worth the look

thanks guys.

Drummoyne tackle world (AKA Otto's) ..... has the largest selection of rods, reels, SP, flies etc in Sydney (It is sydney largest tackle dealer) i am in there usually ever 2 weeks or so (but havn't been in as much latley) and they are great people an know there stuff ..... all for great prices

Edited by FletcherG1991

i HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you speak to TONY at FISHFINDER Bait and Tackle, Bunnerong Road, Matraville...His details are in the rotating banners at the top of this page

Otto's is a rip off, they often charge retail if not more on some items, Tony will look after you..

Mate there are plenty of good local tackle shops around and you'll pick up a decent sp outfit for the money you want to spend.

I find the campbells pro tackle site good for using as a price guide then look around from there, what area are you in? My local tackle shop always looks after me pretty well, ABA at penrith have a huge range and although I haven't been myself I have heard good stuff about a shop.

I do however buy stuff like line, sp's, hooks and sinkers from #### or ***** as they tend to be cheaper on a lot of stuff, the bargain bin at your tackle store is also worth rumaging through when you go there

Edited by OutdoorDan

ottos is a great store, there aren't many stores in sydney that would rival them for their range and expertise. I went in there recently and bought two pakula witchdoctors, they had no price on them, the shop assistant went on ebay, saw how much they were going for and smashed the price, can't argue with that, they also have heaps of lures that are difficult to find anywhere else. Sure they might have some things more exxy than others, but you can guarantee a lot of their stuff is at great prices... My local is thornleigh and they have great prices, but you will always find the odd product that is overpriced in any store. The tackle game is pretty comeptitive and you aren't going to last if you're a rip off merchant, ottos have been around for years and they have just moved to a bigger and better store, they must be doing something right because people keep going back..... anyway that's my rant I have nothing to do with the store, they wouldn't know me if I walked in tomorrow, I only shop there once or twice a year..... I just wouldn't want people to think they shouldnt shop there as the service you get from the staff there is second to none.

It pays to shop around for anything we buy doesn't it.

What you get cheaper at one tackle shop may be ok but I am sure that you will find another item at the same shop is more expensive than the other shop.

All tackle shops have something inside that interest us. Some shops may be huge with high end gear and others have the less expensive stuff or a nice mixture to cater for all needs. Horses for courses.

I personally think that the service is what is important. I know that when I walk into any shop that I instantly get a feeling about whether they really WANT to help me.

I know that our sponsors Sean at WATTO's and Tony at FISHFINDER BAIT AND TACKLE and ABA will always do their best to accomodate Fishraider members.

There is no such thing as a rip off - shop around and bargain is the go.

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

i also have shoped at a shop outdoors, complete angler and ace fishing tackle on newbridge road, but i will not go past fishfinders anymore for big items, like reels and rods(only because im far away). He gave me great advice on a new charter special and will definantly return!

for smaller terminal tackle its not worth traveling long distance for a tackle shop so i stick to my local tackle shop

Reckon big Banana's got it nailed. Find a good taklo and take the time to become known, most of them realise the benefit of repeat custom and will go out of their way to help.

On the flip side I visited a shop the other week and found myself admiring (holding) an Avet that was in a showcase and got a dressing down from the shop assistant for my trouble, "something about thousands of dollars worth in their mate" spent $300 there 3 weeks before and got on their valued customer discount card thing, never again and left the store before I lost it.

Personally have had good experiences at ABA Penrith, Ottos Drummoyne, Anglers World Nth Rocks and Rudi's at Thornleigh. Will allways try a new one if I am out of area, as there a bound to be more good than bad.

John

thanks for all the great replied guys, theres a good list for me to nail

now...for the fun part, do u guys like to goto ure tackle store one a day or do you like to raid them all at once? :beersmile:

I normally go on payday

Im lucky , my local tackle store is WATTOS , ( great prices , ladies served ) . Sean and Claudia always look after me well , and did so before they became sponsors. Fishfinders is also a great shop , have called in there a couple of times when I have been in the area , no probs with crappy sales staff in Tonys store !!

When I first got into fishing , I did buy some stuff from that big orange place on Woodville Rd , my experience there was neither good nor bad , but it is close to work.

Ross

I support my local stores, and they generally look after me. Every now and then I will buy online (within Australia) if I need something I cannot source locally.

I have a monthly allowance, so I stock up once a month on the essential items. :biggrin2:

Shane

I like to check out as many as I can if I'm passing one and I'm not in a hurry I'll stop and check it out but I think it's great to have a relationship with your local guy, I will quite often just pop in for a yarn with the guys even if I'm just waiting for my chinese takeaway accross the street.

I'll let him know whats on my wishlist next and if I go in and he's got a deal going for something I said I wanted he'll let me know but never pressure me to buy.

Some days I might spend $5 bucks in there others I'll spend $100's but it all ads up and he values my business, he always says G'day to the kids if their with me and asks how their going if their not and he doesn't mind if the little bloke spins the reel handles and runs around the shop while we're having a yarn so already he's building rappore with his future customers.

I don't but everything from him but I buy most of it and best of all the advise id free.

Edited by robthefisherman

Wherever you choose, become known to them and in time they'll give you great prices.

Very true, i get my stuff really cheap these days, sometimes up to $100 of the marked price if im buying a $400 reel.

Its always good to get to know your local shop and they will look after you.

I have found with tackle shops that they are cheaper on some items and expensive on others.

For example, compleat angler villawood has the cheapest game reels, Tiagra 50w's for $800, $749 at special time. But are expensive for other items.

a shop are more expensive with game reels but are cheaper with line, Lures tackle boxes etc.

So i think you cannot judge a shop as they will range from cheap to expensive depending on what your looking at.

But i dont mind paying 10% more sometimes for good service