Buying A Chinese Made Boat

kirill

Hi Raiders,

I have been looking into getting a first boat together with my dad. We had a budget of about $20k and after having a real good look at the sydney market over the last couple of months have decided to look into importing a boat.

I have some contacts in china and have found a couple of suitable boats for what seems like a good price. However i am new to boating and would really appreciate any input from people that know boats.

Having done some research this boat looks like its been designed using the bayliner cuddy models as a blueprint.

Here are some pictures of the boat:

DIG704.jpg

704(1).JPG704(2).JPG

704(6).jpg704(4).JPG

704(5).jpg

The size of the boat is: 6 x 2.3 x 0.95m

The engine we were going to get was a mercruiser 190hp, but there are 120hp and other options for the engine.

I have more details on this boat but don't want to flood people with information.

Any comments you guys might have are very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kirill

Hi Kirill, well China does make some good large boats so i cant see why the smaller ones wouldnt be ok too. My guess is you are well advised to chat to the Customs people, you may well find your $20k boat will end up costing a great deal more with duty etc applied to it. It would be hard for me to buy a boat without some reference on it, the trouble is, no Oz based Boat dealer is going to give you an unbiased review on it. Goos luck.

Edited by harold

The boat looks to be targeted to your pleasure and water ski market more so than fishing.

The boats design does not allow anchoring to be a simple task. There is a lot of cabin space and not much head room.

What is to be the main purpose of the boat, fishing, just running about, water skiing ?

You could, get a brochure from other similar looking boat brands and check the fitout inclusions and options against other brands.

For example is there a bilge pump and blowers.

How do you handle any warranty issues if there is no dealership in Australia? The mercury motor will not be a problem warranty wise I would expect.

If you can land the boat in Australia for $20K and no customs issues or minimal duty to pay, its a bargin and worth the risk.

Cheers and good luck

Martin

we are getting the boat for as many purposes as possible i guess, but fishing is definitely a priority. thanks for bringing up the anchoring issues.

i am really new to boating and to fishing off a boat so i am not sure what a bilge pump and blowers are. could you please advise.

some other specs on the boat according to the manufacturer are as follows:

2. Engine: 120hp.130hp.190hp .200HP

3. Speed:

120hp 50km/h

130hp 55km/h

190hp 70km/h

200hp 75km/h

4. Load capacity: 8 persons

5. Fiberglas body and deck

6. Aluminium alloy window frame with toughened glass

7. 304 Stainless steel armour plate parapet

8. plastic steel 19*19 skylight

9. 80L Stainless steel fuel tank with High accuracy fuel indicator .

10. Anticorrosion compartment and the cabin door with locks

11. chair could fold and lies low

12. launch platform

13. integrative (ship first voyage) position light, dismountable taillight

14. chemical fiber surface cabin bunk

15. a set of sleeping cabin soft cushioning

16. Hygienic sanitary equipment

17. box of fishing equipment

18. 12v automatic water pump

19. stainless steel oil filler

20. Active type soft canopy

The bilge pump will pump any water out of the bilge (bottom of the boat). They can be activated by a switch or automatic by having a float switch fitted. Blowers blow air to where the engine is to get any fuel vapours out before you start the motor. It ventalates the engine box and bilge area.

The 80L fuel tank is not very big for a boat of that size. I would have thought it would have been 160L. Are you sure they sail liters and not 80 gallons?

Cheers

Martin

Also raises the question , if they are " so good " & the imported price , ie all up price boat , freight , insurance , duty & clearence ( delivered to your door) is competitive then why has no dealer importing

Checked with our customs broker , duty is 5% of the FOB price , ie the cost to buy the boat & get it on to a ship plus 10% GST on the above . Seafreight from China to Oz also attracts 10% GST

Add to that the cost to clear the shipment from the ship in Sydney & delivery to your home. Allow $1500.

As for the sea freight , ring around to some freight forwarders for a price . Suggest you go for a FCL price (full container load) but talk to the forwarder , they can advise the best method.

So............. say the boat cost $20,000 ex the factory

Freight from the factory to your door + taxes + crearence + insurance , estimate , $6 - $7,000

Geoff

With Geoffs advice and the added cost, $27,000 is still a bargin for a new boat that size.

Does the $20K include a trailer?

Once its in Australia you need to register the trailer and the boat (no big deal) and then I would get a bmini top fited and a storm cover unless you have a garage it will fit into.

Keep us posted

Cheers

With Geoffs advice and the added cost, $27,000 is still a bargin for a new boat that size.

Does the $20K include a trailer?

Once its in Australia you need to register the trailer and the boat (no big deal) and then I would get a bmini top fited and a storm cover unless you have a garage it will fit into.

Keep us posted

Cheers

at this stage the trailer is going to cost me an extra $1000 (is this a good price for a trailer?)

all up with all the duties and taxes and extra's (like bmini top, storm cover and a few others) i'd say the boat boat will end up costing me around $28-$29k.

having never owned a boat can somone give me a rough breakdown of how much fuel a 190hp engine will use as opposed to a 120hp? thank you all

mate don t want to sound like a sour puss but these figures don t make sense if the boat is costing 20000 with a min 120hp the hull must be worth pea nuts and with a 190hp they are basically paying you to take the boat.

that boat in my eyes just doesn t look practical.

looks like a semi retired persons boat who mixes the weekends with different types of water activities.

if your main priority is to fish get yourself more of a fishing boat.

you dont want to waste a minimum $28000 on something you have never seen, never driven, or never heard about.

how bout you look at some aussie designed and manufactured boats.

Kirill,

Bought my first Bayliner, 17 foot with 135 hp stern drive for just under $30,000 down at Berowra. If you can pick them up still for around that price you are better to get something over here and not have the worries and other issues to deal with. Besides, what if you had a small warranty claim?? Wouldn't be worth sending it back.

Good luck with the decision......

Is the Trailer the one in the picture or are you purchasing one in OZ for it

Also be aware trailer parts may be different over hear to there.

Not saying you might not find things here that will fit but there might be issues.

and you may need to change whole components which costs.

They may put wierd wheel stud pattern on the your trailer.

If it has brakes might have pads from some strange vehicle

With a Boat that size and the weight i am pretty sure it will need to have brakes for rego

on that trailer.

Edited by johnno

at this stage the trailer is going to cost me an extra $1000 (is this a good price for a trailer?)

Kirill. Is $1000 the price for a trailer from China. Does it include brakes. Rigs over 750kg need brakes to be registered in NSW.

Talking about Rego , have you checked out the Waterways requirements / specifications to register a boat.

Check with the RTA. They have very specific requirements for trailer design , lighting , specification plates etc , etc. & will require personal inspection prior to considering regerstration.

To have a trailer made in Oz for this size boat I think you will find it is in the $2000 - $3000 bracket.

Ring a few trailer places , they would give you a better indication.

Cost is now heading into the low $30's. considering the risk , this may not be looking such a great deal

Regards

Geoff

Kirill,

Why don't you look in the for sale section.

Bob has a boat for sale at the moment.

Here is the link.

For Sale

I will second that. That would be a great first boat. I am sure Bob will take you for a test run if you are serious.

The only problem is once you do the test you will want it bad :1prop:

I am looking at getting one at the moment, however the Mrs is in favour of a bowrider... The debate continues :biggrin2:

Robbie.

don't want to drag you down, but there are heaps of nice boats around locally for under $30k that will be more suited to fishing.

I'm all for importing goods, but that is a lot to fork out for a first boat that you know little about the manufacturer

good luck

don't want to drag you down, but there are heaps of nice boats around locally for under $30k that will be more suited to fishing.

I'm all for importing goods, but that is a lot to fork out for a first boat that you know little about the manufacturer

good luck

Inked,

I would have to disagree, I have spent a bundle of time researching the Stabi range as I was about to lay out my hard earned for one.

They are a great stable and safe platform to fish from. I have done a test run and read every thing I can about them and asked every one who would listen for their opinion, every thing was positive. I still think the 509 would be a great first boat and the price Bob is asking is fair considering the local dealer will not budge a cent on price.

Now I did say "was about to"...

Fortunately I am married to a woman who loves the water as much if not more than me!

So we have decided to go with an Ally Craft 540 Bow rider so that she can come fishing with me, yet escape up the front to read in peace while us boys fish. The bow rider is not going to be as stable and I will have to compromise on when and where I go, but her indoors will be out doors with me which I think is pretty cool :)

Cheers.

Robbie.

• 4 weeks later...

Put simply NOT WORTH the hassle or the risk..... IT is life and death out there on the water . Spend a few more bucks and get a PROPER AUSSIE boat. One you can test before buying and have people who have evaluated. 60L is piss weak for a fuel tank. Will barely get you to the heads and back! CHeers Kelvin