Flathead Sp's

domza

I am interested in increasing my sp fishing (currently own two packets, yes 2 packets :1prop: ).

I already have some sandworms and some squidges, but was just wondering what the best SP would be for targeting flathead.

I know flathead eat anything, but I want to know what everyone has had most success on..

These sp's will be used mostly while drifting around botany bay..( brighton beach, runways and towra)

thanks

oh and yes I am gearing up for the social :074:

I know flathead eat anything, but I want to know what everyone has had most success on..

My top flathead SP's are as follows:

Berkley 3 inch mullet - caught my PB of 76cm on this plastic. :biggrin2:

Berkley 3 inch bass minnows

Berkely 4 inch bass minnows

Berkley 5 inch jerk shads

Atomic 3 inch jerk minnows

Atomic 6 inch jerk minnows

Squidgy Fish size #3 and above

Others that I have had success with, but not necessarily the first lure I will choose:

Storm Twitchin Nipper

Berkley 2 and 3 inch Gulp Grubs

Squidgy Wriggler #3 and above

With colours, I try to stick to natural colours where possible (blues, greens, greys etc). If the water is discoloured I go for either very dark colours, or extremely bright flouro colours.

Shane

If its any indication all but the first fish in the records section have been taken on Pseed gulp grubs. There are days where they are the only lure to take a fish for me.

I was recently in the clear water of lake mac and was drifting right over resting flatties litterally donking them on the head with squidgees and they wouldnt touch them. They did however react to the gulps which indicates two things. a, they are more than just a lure, and b, flatties will have lure preference on certain days unlike the belief that they will eat anything at anytime.

The good thing about gulp grubs is that even the 3 inch version will take big flatthed and it will also take Bream and Jews and whatever else is around. Very versatile lure as you dont really know what your going to get.

Failing all that 75mm and 100mm Jelly prawn Squidgees with the tails dipped in pink spike it work well too.

Cheers

• 5 weeks later...

IMHO squidgys are the best flathead SP on the market, especially in the "black gold", "gary glitter" and "mullet" colours.

Just my opinion, but, I don't waste my money on buying "gulp" for flatties. Flatties do take anything and if there isn't something in the cheaper range of SPs' then I'd be very surprised.

Like the other guys have said flatties are not very picky. I have had a lot of success with squidgies in the No.3 size wriggler and above espescially in the red and pink colours. I can remember one day having one hanging over the edge of the boat just drifting with the tide and me casting and retrieving the other. The one left alone caught more fish!

I also find the squidgies more durable than the gulp products and can normally last a days fishing before they are ruined, while one small dirty toad can chew the tail of a gulp in a second.

I have to agree on all levels. 2" or 3" p/seed gulp minnow grubs are deadly on flatties but not very durable. Just see how many you go though when toads are around :thumbdown:

#3 squidgy wrigglers in bloodworm have so far nailed my best flatties (50+cm).

I have not tried squidgy fish but i recon they also would be good :thumbup:

I thing to consider is that gulps actually sink as apposed to normal plastics that mostly float. Spending more time on the may increase there effectiveness as far as flatties are concerned. :1prop:

cheers

BM

squidgys <SNIP> "black gold"

Got us among those monster females at Wallis Lake...

Remember to Rip-and-Stop the retrieve. You want the jig to hit the bottom to make a puff of silt or mud.

If you feel a bump and you miss, cast there again - flatties are lazy, unco buggers - they often miss but will strike again (and again) if you put the cast through the same place.

Cheers,

Richie.

Here is a good indicator of what has succeded in the Gold Coast Flathead classic.

Just for the record the 'Pig' lure mentioned is a hand made hard body lure from a Gold Coast bloke, that doesnt look anything special but it sure takes flathead ! Very hard to get.

go to the 'gold-coast-sport-fishing club site' , flathead classic, then map and archives and sus it out. Sorry the link wont work and when i type in the site manually it gets blocked out ????

Edited by Grantm

ditto all the above ...

But for the last few months i can't rave enough about the Berkley new penny shrimp 2inch pattern.

Absolute dynamite. Smaller jighead to leave a bit of flick in the tail and a slow, twitching, stop, start

retrieve. The squidgie 3inch evil minnow still also rates as a fave and gets a swim every trip otherwise

anything Berkley works. Flatties being oppurtunists aren't real fussy and if you can put it in front of their

nose they'll take just about anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

For fishing Wallis Lake in my trusty kayak (actually in the leases) I prefer the 100mm Squidgy fish - garry glitter or silver/mullet. I use the bigger Mr Twister heads & because of the very real chance of getting snagged badly in the fairly shallow water there, i don't usually let them hit the bottom unless I am in the open & it is sandy!

If you think about it, the flattie is usually coming up from the bottom to hit the lure, then turning to retreat quickly with his prize! Because he has taken it 'mid water' the lure is usually taken well into the mouth, so is well hooked & when he turns & retreats, it sets the hook even better! (Unlike bream, flatties don't just swim round waiting for food to go past - they lie on the bottom to ambush anything above or near them.)

So, try the 'mid water' retrieve - you should find you get less snags (kelp/seaweed, structure etc) and may be surprised at the increased catch rate. I use 6lb fireline & 20lb vanish flouro leader (about 4ft.)

I also find that the bigger 100mm lures generally catch the bigger fish!

Cheers

Roebrta

Hi guys

For fishing Wallis Lake in my trusty kayak (actually in the leases) I prefer the 100mm Squidgy fish - garry glitter or silver/mullet. I use the bigger Mr Twister heads & because of the very real chance of getting snagged badly in the fairly shallow water there, i don't usually let them hit the bottom unless I am in the open & it is sandy!

If you think about it, the flattie is usually coming up from the bottom to hit the lure, then turning to retreat quickly with his prize! Because he has taken it 'mid water' the lure is usually taken well into the mouth, so is well hooked & when he turns & retreats, it sets the hook even better! (Unlike bream, flatties don't just swim round waiting for food to go past - they lie on the bottom to ambush anything above or near them.)

So, try the 'mid water' retrieve - you should find you get less snags (kelp/seaweed, structure etc) and may be surprised at the increased catch rate. I use 6lb fireline & 20lb vanish flouro leader (about 4ft.)

I also find that the bigger 100mm lures generally catch the bigger fish!

Cheers

Roebrta

I love the Gary Glitter

davo

Interestinly enuf only one person mentioned the atomic 3" jerk shad. I have used most sp's on the market and my wallet can testify to that. While flatties can have a eat anything mentality somedays they are not like that everyday.

I believe they definately have prefences to action and colour. If i had to choose only one style of sp for flatties it would be the atomic 3" jerk shad. Any colour. Second would also be atomic, the 3" fat grubs.

No doubt squidgys, berkelys and other assorted sp's have thier place but on sheer consistancy of performance go the atomics. Best rigged on Nitro 4.7 gram finesse jig heads (with owner hooks). Killer combo.

Favouirte five in the clutch:

1) Atomic 3" jerk shads

2) Atomic 3" fat grubs

3) Berkley gulps/power minnows

4) Squidgy shads

5) Slider 3" Bass Grubs