Middle Harbour - Sat 28th

OneLastCast

Hi Raiders,

Headed out to Middle Harbour after kings with Kings'n'town and 4 of our kids (2 of his girls, my 2 boys). All kids under 5 :wacko:

Despite the limited fishing time and difficulty feeding, amusing and at times consoling the crazy kids we managed to jig 3 live squid and tried downrigging for kings for the first time with my dodgy home made downrigger (will have to post some pics of it later). Didn't get any kings but did manage one 60cm Jew.

post-739-1162120140_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

OLC

Thanks Kelvin.

The Jew actually took a squid strip rigged on my bro in law Kings'n'town's "poor mans downrigger" - heavy snapper sinker (or in this case it was actually a heavy knife jig) attached a few meters ahead of the hook then tow it all behind the boat. The jew hit near the bottom (after free spooling it down in the middle of the main spit channel with lots of boat traffic) while I was stuffing around with my down rigger after tangling the prop :wacko::mad3:

Hi Raiders,

Headed out to Middle Harbour after kings with Kings'n'town and 4 of our kids (2 of his girls, my 2 boys). All kids under 5 :wacko:

Despite the limited fishing time and difficulty feeding, amusing and at times consoling the crazy kids we managed to jig 3 live squid and tried downrigging for kings for the first time with my dodgy home made downrigger (will have to post some pics of it later). Didn't get any kings but did manage one 60cm Jew.

post-739-1162120140_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

OLC

great cosollation prize. I alwaye thought kings were the consollation when fishiong for Jews. Anyhow. I have a dodgy home made (well not so dodgy) made out of a nylon golf cart whell and some alluminium from the scrap yard. Cost me about $40 all up + release clip. Even moulded the bomb myself. Will post pics if you like.

Davo

Yeah those jews hug the bottom and the kings sit above them. Over at Flint and Steel downrigging is a good way to get both jews and Kings. Set the bait just off the bottom for jews and mid water for kings.... with live squid of course. Once again a top catch.Cheers Kelvin

Well done on the Jew OLC, at least you did not go home empty handed :thumbup: A jew is always a welcome catch, even when they are not your target.

I think the guy in the centre console must have been referring to you, when he said someone landed a Jew. Any idea of weight?

Do you know if anyone landed a King on Saturday?

great cosollation prize. I alwaye thought kings were the consollation when fishiong for Jews. Anyhow. I have a dodgy home made (well not so dodgy) made out of a nylon golf cart whell and some alluminium from the scrap yard. Cost me about $40 all up + release clip. Even moulded the bomb myself. Will post pics if you like.

Davo

Hi Davo, yep would love to have a look at your DR set up. Mine is an old beach rod cut in half with an old (antique?) centrepin reel with about 50 metres of braided cord (the stuff you use on blinds) then a couple of metres of stainless trace at the bottom with the bomb on the end of that. I use a jockey strap around the handle of the centre pin reel to stop it spinning. Used it for the first time on Sat (but I made it about 5 years ago...) and it worked ok. If the bomb got snagged though I think the rod will snap or the reel will get ripped off the rod or both. Would be funny to see if it happened though. Does yours have some kind of a clutch that releases if the bomb gets snagged?

Well done on the Jew OLC, at least you did not go home empty handed :thumbup: A jew is always a welcome catch, even when they are not your target.

I think the guy in the centre console must have been referring to you, when he said someone landed a Jew. Any idea of weight?

Do you know if anyone landed a King on Saturday?

No idea about weight - don't have scales.

Just checked

Weigh your fish with a ruler

and a 60cm Jew is supposed to be 2.3 kg

Didn't hear of any Kings landed. Spoke to a few people that were trying but with no success.

That is a great fish. I am amazed at what takes a squid bait when its placed on a downrigger. Not a bad consolation for kingie fishing! Cheers Kelvin

NOT A BAD CONSOLATION LOL.

kings arent a bad consolation when all else fails

Bloody nice schoolie and an even cuter son!

I have a 5 year old and 18 month old son. Life has been mad balancing work, wife and kids for a long time and not much fishing gets done these days. My hat goes off to you handling 4 little ones in a boat!

I bet the young bloke was excited to see and hold a fish like that and what a great photo for the archives.

Bloody nice schoolie and an even cuter son!

I have a 5 year old and 18 month old son. Life has been mad balancing work, wife and kids for a long time and not much fishing gets done these days. My hat goes off to you handling 4 little ones in a boat!

I bet the young bloke was excited to see and hold a fish like that and what a great photo for the archives.

:1welcomeani: to the site beachwormer!

Yeah it is hard to get out with little 'uns. But fun for them and great memories.

Kings'n'town (my bro-in-law) and I each have 3 under 5 :1yikes:

Taking the older (ie over 2 years) kids out give the wives a break and means we can go about twice as much as we otherwise could :1fishing1:

Taking kids fishing is great fun and educational. It teaches them things about nature and patience. I really miss my kids when I don't have them on a trip with me. Watching them land a good fish is worth catching 100 yourself!.Cheers Kelvin