Fishing From The Rocks

robthefisherman

I was thinking about learning to fish from the rocks but want to learn the right way.

I heard that Alex Bellissimo does rock fishing tours on high tidethe other week, anyone done a tour with him or anyone else and do you recomend it.

I thought it would be a good way to try it out to see if I like it before venturing out and buying a whole lot of expensive safety gear and plus none of my mates are into fishing from the stones and I really want someone that knows what they are doing to show me the ropes.

I was thinking about learning to fish from the rocks but want to learn the right way.

I heard that Alex Bellissimo does rock fishing tours on high tidethe other week, anyone done a tour with him or anyone else and do you recomend it.

I thought it would be a good way to try it out to see if I like it before venturing out and buying a whole lot of expensive safety gear and plus none of my mates are into fishing from the stones and I really want someone that knows what they are doing to show me the ropes.

Don't do it. Even experienced fishermen die. We don't want to lose a raider!!

There is nothing wrong with rock fishing as long as you have common sense. Check weather and swell predictions and watch the spot for a while too. Wear the right clothing and footwear too. Going with someone is the best, And I think Alex runs tours..grab his DVD if you havent seen it.

It also depends on where you want to fish....off the rocks in sydney harbour is different to ocean facing swell conditions around the harbour . Highly rewarding and challenging....

Guest Big-Banana

Id love to get his DVD. Also check out the section on Rock and Beach from no no nos DVD "Fishing Sydney" some great footage with Alex in that as well.

It's really not that hard, it is 90% commonsense. Learning to catch fish from the rocks though is a different ball game - its actually a lot easier than catching fish in estuaries most of the time, just gotta use the right tactics. I'd be happy to show you around but I hardly get out on the rocks these days over summer.

Thanks Bash

Maybe we can organise something down the track if your going,

I've got the dvd's but would feel much more confident fishing my first few times with someone who knows what they are doing.

I think it would be an exciting way to fish and I want to experience as many forms of fishing as I can but also don't want to take unessescary risks which is why I want to learn from someone in the know

Edited by robthefisherman

Guest Big-Banana

I phoned Alex Belissimo charters a while back and figured I would rather buy more gear than pay the prices..it was 50 bucks per hour minimum 3 hours.

Dan

:1yikes: Sheesh!

When I was younger for many years I virtually LIVED on the rocks. Caught everything that swam from the rocks including a yellowfin tuna and a dead corpse!. Loved every minute of it.

I even saw a couple of people get washed in. I even saw an old mate of ours getting killed falling off a ladder at Bondi but that is another story.

Fishing from the rocks is dangerous but well worth it. It involves LOTS of walking with heavy gear but I am over it now. Wouldn't venture into the rocks again as my wife will divorce me and I hate walking. But you gotta start small. Try the more esturine rocks before going out into the swell. There are lots of places that are 100% safe. It gives you an idea although it isn't as productive. I had many days where we couldn't fish an area due to the swell and moved into the sheltered rocks and had a ball. Cheers Kelvin

$50/hour ~ $150 is pretty cheap if you are new to rockfishing and want some experience. Charters on boats costs alot more (granted you fish for longer too), but what you learn in those 3 hours could help you out quite a bit in terms of fishing skills and safety skills. I learnt on my own and still fish the rocks on my own, but experience takes time to build up. Doesnt hurt to spend some cash to get a heads up.

I'll take ya Rob!

I don't fish the hardcore places anymore but have a few nice & easy spots that I'll be happy to show you.

Only when the conditions are right though. I don't tie myself with a rope to a steel spike driven into the rocks in a big sea anymore! :1yikes:

Cheers,

Grant.

I've done a lot of rock hopping in my time as well - almost all of it on the South Coast of NSW. I've seen people swept in, and been swept in myself a few times.

The only advice I would give you Rob, is that if you fish the rocks you must be prepared to go into the water. Obviously you don't expect to, but whenever you're on rocks exposed to the swell there is a possibility that you'll end up in the suds.

This means knowing what your plan is if you lose your feet in a+_+_)ave. My plan has always been that as soon as I'm off my feet there is only one place I want to get to - out behind the waves. The worst injuries I've seen are always from people who try to grab the rocks to stop themselves being swept along, or from people who try to climb back out of the water in the middle of the impact zone.

Nup - if you ever lose your feet while rock fishing your goal should be to swim out to sea ASAP - as soon as you're past the wash you can tread water safely and plan how to get your ass out of there. And it goes without saying that you should never fish an area if you can't see how it would be possible to get back out of the water if you got washed in.

In my view this is why it is crazy to find so many rock-hoppers who can't swim. If I couldn't swim my way out of trouble on the rocks I wouldn't go anywhere near them.

I've fished the rocks for 40 years and never been in the soup (touchwood), I reckon if you have then you've taken too much risk, you only have to go in once to never come back out, always watch your chosen spot for a while before fishing and NEVER take your eyes off the sea, have an escape route planned if a rogue wave hits, wear light clothing or even a wetsuit, most importantly get a pair of wet rock gripping shoes (expensive but a must have), wet rocks are slippery, let someone know you are going and where and when you intend to return, do not risk landing a fish if large waves are looming, back your drag off and wait for a safe time. All in all just use commonsense, don't take risks.

Guest danielinbyron

I agree $50 an hour could be worth it for one on one stuff.. if you think about the prep and time for the guy running the tour and the level of care its not a big ask. he's made $150 bucks minus phone petrol advertising gear cost, and taken out the best part of a day to do it.Its almost a community service..

At $65 rockhoppers pay for themselves pretty quickly just in the damage saved to other shoes alone . let alone the increase in safety not only from slipping and falling in but slipping and injuring knees wrists etc. But of course the don't have magic powers.

What i love most about rock fishing is no ice no petrol marine oil, bar crossing, no washing down a boat. just me, my mates and huey.

And if you think kingies go hard off a boat, ya gotta plant ya feet on a rock and hook one up at least once in a life time. Same with all fish really. Its a much greater challenge and harder fight in my way of thinking..

Since i turned 40 and got a bit crook from the mozzies up here. I'm learning to take it a bit slower and I'm even enjoying that..

Its great to see a bloke put his hand up and so many Raiders willing to grab it..

If you take the necessary precautions, I actually think rockfishing is a fairly safe pastime. I ALWAYS check the swell the day before. Anything over 1.5 m, I don't bother going. ALso, check the DIRECTION of the swell. If I fish a NE facing platform, a 1.5 SE swell is safe. However, a 1.5m NE swell will be a little dicey.

And always suss out the waves once you get there for a little while.

Going rockfishing under these conditions, I have never even been close to getting swept in. NEVER. It is a great way to fish, (as long as there aren't 1000 other guys packed onto the same platform!).

In addition to the shoes, wear a brightly colored life jacket, so even IF you get swept in, you won't drown and you can be spotted from a chopper!

Gotta agree about fishing the lee shore, it’s safest and generally most productive. I really like to go out without my fishing rod with a four meter swell running,get an idea how the water moves around, and a feeling for the worst that can happen on a calmer day and know where it’s safe to fish .

Charlie

When I was younger for many years I virtually LIVED on the rocks. Caught everything that swam from the rocks including a yellowfin tuna and a dead corpse!. Loved every minute of it.

I even saw a couple of people get washed in. I even saw an old mate of ours getting killed falling off a ladder at Bondi but that is another story.

Fishing from the rocks is dangerous but well worth it. It involves LOTS of walking with heavy gear but I am over it now. Wouldn't venture into the rocks again as my wife will divorce me and I hate walking. But you gotta start small. Try the more esturine rocks before going out into the swell. There are lots of places that are 100% safe. It gives you an idea although it isn't as productive. I had many days where we couldn't fish an area due to the swell and moved into the sheltered rocks and had a ball. Cheers Kelvin

that would definantly put me off rock fishing forever!

i enjoy a rock fish occaisionly. I often go off coalcliff and bare island.

I have seen the ladder at bondi and would never climb down it for a fish..

Coalcliff would be the safest way to start rock fishing, usualy no waves break at all over the rocks and its a fairly non-slip platform.

I disagree about Coalcliff...very deceptive on that main platform. The rocks at the front are higher, then they dip in the middle on the southern side. I got hammered by a southerly swell when I was beating a retreat in that dip and went flying. Lots and lots of barnacle scrapes. But it was my fault as I didnt sit and watch for as long as I do now. As its a low platform so you do need to be careful of the swell direction and height. On a calm day , no probs. Thats the thing about rock fishing, each area has its own conditions to be aware of. Some areas have underwater rocks and boulders that break waves up or cause them to rear up, others are like a ramp and waves race up pretty damn quick. Pick the quiet days to fish, then go to the same spots on days when the swell is pumping and check out how the water acts. Rough days are great to see where water races up and how it acts..and if there is backwash too.