Maroubra Beach

Mondo Rock

Wasn't all that serious about fishing last night, but I figured that standing next to the ocean is better than sitting in my loungeroon - so I snuck down to Maroubra for a quick beach session.

Managed to rustle up some worms and within 5 minutes of my first cast the first whiting was on the sand - 35cm. Managed another two the same size in the next 15 minutes with the light fading fast. I was casting out and slowly retrieving to see if I could suss out where the whiting were sitting and, as usual, they were all about 3 feet from the shore. Seems to me that whiting will feed as close to the shoreline as they can get - the casts of mine that did go further out sat untouched until I brought them in a bit.

Thought about sticking around to see if the bream would come on after dark but was called away by threats of a cooling dinner and an even faster-cooling girlfriend.

Looks to me like the beaches are firing up for summer.

Actually Flattieman - all three were released unharmed as our 'dinner schedule' over the next few days is full and I generally don't kill fish unless I'm going to eat them straight away. Not that I have anything against whiting - they're my favorite beach fish by far.

I had a vague plan to put one out as a livie for a Jew, but by the time the first one was in my hand I'd already got the call from home and had about 20 minutes of fishing time left (I always spend too much time catching worms and not enough fishing). I'll do it soon though - I'm thinking that a whole live whiting in a deep beach gutter on dusk has got to put me in with a chance!

Kelvin - what a deal!! I'd happily trade whiting for kingies, but I'll make you a better offer - I'll take you fishing for whiting if you take me fishing for kingies!! I reckon I've got the whiting pretty much sussed these days and I KNOW that you've got the kingies sussed!!

1975 - bait was live beach-worms on a simple running sinker rig. I use a 15lb mainline and a 6lb trace of about 50cm down to a reasonably small baitholder hook. I've experimented with two hook rigs in the past and find them to be a bit of a pain so I keep it simple these days.

And Sharky - just say the word my man. Our last beach expedition was a washout so the only way is up really.

Gday mondo

ive looked at Maroubra a few times, do you fish down the north end of the beach? closer to the rocks?

beach worms from maroubra, thats tops. I've never been worming before, and be interested in how.

Did you have the worm tweesers?

gotta give this worming a go, if the whiting are on the bite!

Edited by kantong

Guest danielinbyron

"I had a vague plan to put one out as a livie for a Jew, but by the time the first one was in my hand I'd already got the call from home and had about 20 minutes of fishing time left (I always spend too much time catching worms and not enough fishing). I'll do it soon though - I'm thinking that a whole live whiting in a deep beach gutter on dusk has got to put me in with a chance!."

I haven't had any luck with this yet, but i've watched an old pro do it and get straight on twice in 5 minutes. first time he got done, second time he got one in. My mistake has been my hooks 6/0 big gun have been to small and subtle so i just get a mawled whiting back.

Kantong - I used to use pliers for worms but after seeing a video a couple of years ago called "The Art of Beachworming" (I think) I only use fingers these days. I fish anywhere on the beach where there's a likely looking gutter - could be north or south end, or in the middle. I haven't found one spot to be any better than any other.

PM me if you want to go for a fish some time (it was you that I met at Fishfinder on Saturday wasn't it?)

1975 - I reckon you can catch whiting at any time of day.

Actually Flattieman - all three were released unharmed as our 'dinner schedule' over the next few days is full and I generally don't kill fish unless I'm going to eat them straight away. Not that I have anything against whiting - they're my favorite beach fish by far.

I had a vague plan to put one out as a livie for a Jew, but by the time the first one was in my hand I'd already got the call from home and had about 20 minutes of fishing time left (I always spend too much time catching worms and not enough fishing). I'll do it soon though - I'm thinking that a whole live whiting in a deep beach gutter on dusk has got to put me in with a chance!

Mate, I like your line of reasoning! :yahoo::thumbup: I do agree with releasing fish unless you're going to eat 'em fresh... and I think that a live whiting would be a very good bait for a jewie! (That's not talking from experience, though! :074: )

Flattieman.

Hey Rob

Maroubra was pretty quiet most of the weekend - especially towards the south end - even on Saturday. The swell coming through was almost dead south in origin and so was missing the east and north-facing beaches (the Bra faces east). Garie, however, is like Bondi in that it faces almost due south and therefore would have copped a pounding on Saturday/Sunday.

Of course the opposite is usually true in summer - a howling nor-easter is no problem at all on Bondi but will stuff up Maroubra good and proper.

I've never done well for whiting off Garie - my explanation for this is that it is too deep and the whiting like shallower beaches to get in amongst the wash. Good beach for salmon and bream though.

I gave Maroubra a shot a couple of times in the last week, first time (first try ever at maroubra) managed to score a couple of massive beach worms and chucked one out straight away into the hole at the centre of maroubra beach near the flags (always seems to be a hole and rip there) and two mins pulled in a 31 cm Bream, then it got too dark and I left.

Yesterday morning, I struggled for ages to get 4 worms and in the evening went back to the hole near the flags and all I got was a small dart, mind you with those 20-25 knot north easters I got blown to bits, I had so much weight on and it kept getting dragged south and washed up on the beach. Not a pleasurable fishing experience.

Is it just me or is it realllll damn hard to get worms off Maroubra, they are patchy at best and the beach is too damn steep and you get belted by the waves. Mind you the worms you do get there are HUGE !!! I use the ol' trusty pliars, I have only been doing it for a month and have graduated from them quite yet.

So still no whiting off Maroubra but I imagine, timing, wind, good gutter and I will grab one sooner or later. I much prefer Whiting over most non reef based fish for a feed, delicious !!!

Yeah beach worms are a patchy proposition at Maroubra - and often not worth the hassle. I usually bring mine in from other locations.

As for the whiting - I'm surprised that you haven't picked any up if you've been using fresh worms for bait. Whiting is pretty much all I seem to catch at maroubra. My biggest tip - if it is whiting you want - is to fish the bait really close to shore. The whiting seem to sit out no further than a couple of metres from where the sand meets the water. They're also sometimes gutter-specific, so if they're not biting in one gutter it may be worth wandering to the next, and then the next . . .

Were you fishing the beach on Sunday evening? If so I may have seen you there.

I was there trying to get bloody beach worms so I could fish !!! Alas I didn't get any so I didn't get to fish. I did see some people set up down the south end, that may have been you ?!?

I guess the big question is where else to get beach worms from, North Cronulla is fantastic, I get heaps and heaps there, but all the bloody fuel to and from Randwick negates the saving for $7.50 a bag. I might have to stick Maroubra out with the worms. If I don't have fresh worms I don't bother fishing, nothing competes IMHO.

• 5 months later...

Yeah beach worms are a patchy proposition at Maroubra - and often not worth the hassle. I usually bring mine in from other locations.

As for the whiting - I'm surprised that you haven't picked any up if you've been using fresh worms for bait. Whiting is pretty much all I seem to catch at maroubra. My biggest tip - if it is whiting you want - is to fish the bait really close to shore. The whiting seem to sit out no further than a couple of metres from where the sand meets the water. They're also sometimes gutter-specific, so if they're not biting in one gutter it may be worth wandering to the next, and then the next . . .

Were you fishing the beach on Sunday evening? If so I may have seen you there.

no whiting at all, mate! not even a bite! so disappointed....