Maroubra Beach

Mondo Rock

guys keep us posted on the whiting situation at the beach... I have been keen on getting into whiting fishing again in sydney, but dont know which beach is best. I did some whiting fishing at curl curl beach early this year and got a few big ones.

Also i have no chance of digging up any beach worms. Are there any tackle shops that sell them??? I can only pick up blood worms, and the ones i get are useless...

Great report mate,

do you know that I have never caught beach worms before , but love catching pipies. I used to live at Brunswick Heads and go get my pipies and then haul in the whiting!

To me, there is no better thing than to go and catch your own bait, and then bring in your own fish as a result.

If you'r going out and catching your own bait, and then bringing in a good (big)plate sized whiting....Then there can't be any complaints!...... Thats Gold :thumbup::thumbup:

Tony at Fishfinder bait & tackle at Matraville usually has good supplies of live beachworms for sale.

He's a site sponsor too!

Thanks for the update mate! maybe I should try some other options, off the rock area around Maroubra, a bit scary tho... not sure whether it's worth the risk...

Tried La Perouse offshore - only small ones - released heaps

any way to get rid of them? any big fish around small ones? or am I using the wrong hook? (size 4)

thanks in adv

How big are the worms you get from the beach there mondo?

They have some big worms at Maroubra, I have caught them up to 60cm approx and fat too....only problem is they are patchy at best and sometimes real hard to find

Do you use pliers or fingers? All the worms i have caught in sydney are pretty small but a meter isnt bad.

I use pliars, its heaps easier, yeah the worms dont last as long but they certainly last all day and I get enough to use for the next couple of hours and they are still very lively.

Only fish I have ever got at Maroubra was a 38cm Bream

North Cronulla is the spot for worms....top spot, heaps of em

Hi nudge

The worms I get from Maroubra are average size, but can be very difficult to raise between the legs of the beachgoers. Unless there's a low at dusk (i.e. when the beach is mostly clear of swimmers) I usually don't bother - although I went through a stage of worming at night with a head torch, which was cold but usually productive.

I use fingers as I'm often forced to collect the worms one day and then use them the next and pliers would kill them (I have enough trouble keeping them alive as it is). I reckon there are worms on most Sydney beaches - certainly the longer surf beaches. I've never wormed there but I'd bet there are a few on Bondi.

Fortunately, worming is such a difficult skill to master that even in a city as big as Sydney there are really only a handful of fishermen collecting their own.

As for the fishing at the Bra - a high tide on dusk with fresh beachworms is (in my view) the very best option. Up until this summer I had about a 100% success rate on the whiting (i.e. I would catch at least one every trip - not that I'd catch 100% of the whiting on the beach), but this year has been really tough.

• 2 months later...

I've been trying to sneak down to the stones to chase drummer and blackfish but it's been tough finding a break in the weather.

The one time I managed to get a line in recently I caught bugger all. Four hours with fresh ab-gut and a bucket full of old bread burley for one small sweep. Dunno what the problem was - maybe it's still a bit rough.

The beach can't be fished easily in a big swell but ganged pillies in the deep holes up the north end (cast from the rocks towards the beach) are a bloody good chance of a Tailor or two at this time of the year.