You Guessed It, Kings!

costello

Hi guys.

Just after some recommendations on good rod and reel for catching Kingies without blowing out the bank. I can fish and have patients so just after the bare minimum without going cheapo. Also like to know the best line and kilo recommended as well as hook size. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Costa.

Hi guys.

Just after some recommendations on good rod and reel for catching Kingies without blowing out the bank. I can fish and have patients so just after the bare minimum without going cheapo. Also like to know the best line and kilo recommended as well as hook size. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Costa.

I might be able to hook you up with a quality custom rod which wont break the bank. Give me a call if interested. My E-glass LIVEBAIT series range from 10-24kg and $180-$270 depending on blank and choice of components and the graphite jigging and casting styles are under $230-$350

Start with 30lb braid as the minimum as Sammy suggested. I use 50lb braid most of the time and go upto 80lb . You just don't know when that big one will turn up. However, it is the leader that is MOST important and I use 50lb fluorocarbon as the minimum....normally use 60lb.

Hooks are personal but I use 7/0 or8/0 gammie live baits. I am trialling a stinger treble hook by owner. So far a100% catch rate.

As for rods and reels, one of the best budget type reels for kings is the Shimano Charter special. This reel is indestructable!!! It is also a lever drag...not sophisticated but gets the job done. Costs about $180. My favourite kingie reel is the Shimano Tyrnos. It is tough and has a PHENOMENAL drag. Great for the price-$300.

With rods if you are on a budget, you should look at glass blanks. I picked up a 15kg shimano stroker for under $150 for my son. Has roller guides! You can go a bit cheaper with the 15kg silstar crystal pro for about $100.

If you want spinning reels then you WILL have to spend up as most won't last too long with kingies. I use Shimano Stellas, Shimano Twin power, Daiwa Saltiga , Daiwa Certate. I also have a couple of bait runner style reels in the Shimano Thunnus and SHimano BIG Baitrunner. Last week I literally smoked my Daiwa Certate. I had a good fish and the drag smelled like smoke! Still works OK. Most good spinning reels cost about $400 UPWARDS.

I had a stack of Okuma gear and I don't use them any more. They sit at home to quietly rust!

Hey Saqa you gotta show me a good kingie rod that I can use. Graphite will be nice! CHeers Kelvin

Hey Costa, keep an eye out on the "Swap and Sell" section. I'm cleaning out my closet and will post up some quality rods at budget prices in the coming days. Some excellent kingy rods will be up for grabs.

Cheers

Red

Edited by Red

Hey!

Apologies for the late reply guy's, sure you'd be sleepin by now but was on-call for work and actually got called in (for the first time in 3 months). Appreciate the tips, should have specified didn't really want to spend much over the $300 mark as i have to bye a couple of outfits for me and the old man and i'm really adjusted to the egg-beater reel. Have never put my hands on an overhead but if i have to spend the dosh then so be it because i really don't know to much although the info helps heaps, cheers.

Costa

Costa,

You really have to decide how serious you are going to get into king's.

As you don't want to buy something that will only just be able to do the job and then find that you will have to replace it all in the near future if you get more serious.

I am a boatie squidgie so i guess nothing to much in the lengthy department. I have a live bait tank for yakka's and slimies so will mainly be live baiting and will eventually get a down rigger down the track when finances allow, and will try and master the art of squidding so i will be getting serious rzep therefore i definately don't want something that's going to just give up the ghost after a bit of action. I'm also heading down Narooma over christmas and would love to get amongst the action off Montague Island.

Costa.

If your looking for an eggbeater you cannot go past a Spheros or a penn 8500, strong reels

Personally i much prefer overheads but that comes down to whatever you like

I like overheads for trolling as you don't have to fiddle with a lot of line twist and most overheads have better drags.Cheers Kelvin