Advice Needed On Burley

Guest Aron

Hi all,

I often use chicken pellets for burley but want to give wheat a go

I can get bags of wheat from the local pet supply shop at northmead

i read somewhere to use wheat you need to boil it

So how long do you boil it for - do you drain after - and what else do you add - i was thinking tuna oil, fish pices, old bread - is this right?

Guest Big-Banana

Put it in a potato sack or a burley bomb and let it seep out slowly. Depends on Current and where you're fishing to I'd imagine.

Wattos recipe

chicken pellets soaked in tuna oil

wheat cooked in tuna oil(do this in the shed or the :wife: wont be happy)

chicken pellets

I use a plastic 2 lt milk bottle as it fits into my berley pot on the back of my boat

i put about 1/3 pellets and add water,leave a few minutes until water is soaked,then mash it up by squeezing the bottle.

then add the wheat and chicken pellets soaked in tuna oil.

mix them all together.

Freeze the bottle

then all i do is take about 3-4 out each trip as you will get approx 1 hour out of each bottle

the mashed pellets send a slick on the surface

the wheat & pellets work their way to the bottom creating a burley trail from top to bottom

hope this helps

:1fishing1::1fishing1:

Thanks Sean

Im going to have to buy a cheap pot otherwise the :wife: will be most unhappy - and have to also collect milk cartons

Guest Big-Banana

I have a burley bucket and I pre-make my burley put it in cut in half drink bottles and freeze it. Theres no better way I reckon. Let it sit and the bucket and it breaks of real nice!

Guest danielinbyron

How about berley for the land based fisherman.

Has anyone got any tips?

don't use cat or dog food it brings all kinds of crap up. ie rock cod dog sharks ...

{i've got a mate who really gets p#@st off when he sees this.}

think hes right..

find a bakery with a skip and hit it after closing or ask them for there chuck outs bread ...

use a twenty litre bucket, take a length of cord so you can fill it without getting wet..

if weed is plentyfull throw a bit of that in...

Break the bread up in water until its soup ,really work it with your fingers ,

try and eliminate any big pieces , as they float off the fish go with them.. Adding sand helps it sink ..

Watch which direction the trail floats and ad burley or fish into the trail as and where appropriate.

Ad tuna oil if you must, but I find a couple of drops of pure aniseed just as good. Get a bit on your fingers and it taints the bait as well..try bread for pigs blackfish trevs or bream..

I think thats it..

Great way to burley up off the boat to bring about bait {yakkas and slimies} without sharks as well...

I have a burley bucket and I pre-make my burley put it in cut in half drink bottles and freeze it. Theres no better way I reckon. Let it sit and the bucket and it breaks of real nice!

Got a burley bucket - actually got 3

don't use cat or dog food it brings all kinds of crap up. ie rock cod dog sharks ...

{i've got a mate who really gets p#@st off when he sees this.}

think hes right..

find a bakery with a skip and hit it after closing or ask them for there chuck outs bread ...

use a twenty litre bucket, take a length of cord so you can fill it without getting wet..

if weed is plentyfull throw a bit of that in...

Break the bread up in water until its soup ,really work it with your fingers ,

try and eliminate any big pieces , as they float off the fish go with them.. Adding sand helps it sink ..

Watch which direction the trail floats and ad burley or fish into the trail as and where appropriate.

Ad tuna oil if you must, but I find a couple of drops of pure aniseed just as good. Get a bit on your fingers and it taints the bait as well..try bread for pigs blackfish trevs or bream..

I think thats it..

Great way to burley up off the boat to bring about bait {yakkas and slimies} without sharks as well...

I don't like the thought of using cat or dog food

This is what im going to do

i just got 10kg of wheat from the produce shop, going to boil with water (not tuna oil as Sean sugested as my :wife: will kill me), in a large bucket place the boiled wheat add some tuna oil & cut up fish frames and old bait - mix in using my drill and this bit i used for mixing tile glue - place in fridge for use tomorrow.

boiling wheat wont stink the house out if i use water will it?

Guest danielinbyron

mate with wheat or barley you might just try soaking it..just a thought

d

Edited by danielinbyron

mate with wheat or barley you might just try soaking it..just a thought

d

dainel is right. You don't need to cook the wheat .I met an old guy at Long reef acouple of years ago using wheat. He soaked it down overnight thouigh. I know we don't need any more advice on burley but I will let you know what i use.

All my old bread I save

When I cook rice i save all leftovers

Any prawn shells when i have a party

i throw all this in a bucket with some water so the bread soaks down mixed with some shell grit(preferably) or sand from the boat ramp. with this recipe i reckon i have burley at all levels in the water column.

Davo

dainel is right. You don't need to cook the wheat .I met an old guy at Long reef acouple of years ago using wheat. He soaked it down overnight thouigh. I know we don't need any more advice on burley but I will let you know what i use.

All my old bread I save

When I cook rice i save all leftovers

Any prawn shells when i have a party

i throw all this in a bucket with some water so the bread soaks down mixed with some shell grit(preferably) or sand from the boat ramp. with this recipe i reckon i have burley at all levels in the water column.

Davo

Next time ill try the soak method - took me 3 hours to boil the 10kilos in batched - see how i go - may end up back using the chook pellets again