Syd Harbour/hawkesbury 23/11

Luringbream

Gday all, set out at early hours of the morning on sydney harbour to nail some kingies. First thing of the morning we targeted a few squid. With the current running one direction and the wind running the opposite, we found it very hard to get squid as there was hardly any movement in our drift. So in about 1 hour we managed 8 squid which were few and far between and 1 small cuttlefish. A few squid was left for the arvo hawkesbury session and the others stripped for bait for the kingies.

post-331-1164337116_thumb.jpg

We went outside and started to troll the headlands and it wasnt long until the first rod went off!! And the second!! DOUBLE HOOKUP!! It was a race between me and Costa to see who got the kingy in first! Well Costa got his in first just by a second and they were both rats just under 60cm.

We kept trolling and found them again this time they stayed up and we could see them, they were in a MASSIVE SCHOOL shoulder to shoulder smashing anything and everything we threw at them. We got into a few bigger fish this time ranging from rats to around 75cm.(didnt have a measure longer than 60)

Costa and the biggest fish for the day

post-331-1164337604_thumb.jpg

post-331-1164335820_thumb.jpg

Also there were plenty of salmon around in small schools but we wernt too interested. Had one cast at em and moved on.

All up we landed 16 kings, mostly rats only a very few between 60-75cm and we only took 3 of the medium sized ones home. We called it quits at 930 and were home within the next hour to get some sleep for the arvo session at hawkesbury.

post-331-1164337451_thumb.jpg

We got to the hawkesbury at 5, roads loaded with squid heads and squid strips we headed to the bridge hoping to pick up a few schoolies. It wasnt long before the jewies came on! Let me rephrase, it wasnt long before the BABY jewies came on :mad3::mad3::thumbdown:. The were tiny, all undersize and they were chewing up all our baits :mad3::mad3::thumbdown:.

Little buggers like these were a nuisance!!

post-331-1164337562_thumb.jpg

So we decided to move to Juno and as we got there there was another boat about to anchor sounding back and forth looking for "spot x". He took the anchor out and was about to throw it but once he noticed that we were staying in the area he put it back in. And they jolted towards Flint&Steel and were long gone.. :wacko:

Anyways not having a sounder that day(due to problems) we decided to anchor in the area that he was sounding as it was obvious that he was well out of the area and wasnt returning anytime soon. We only spent an hour there and in that time we got a busted up on 50lb braid 50lb leader on a squid head. :mad3:

We were back at the ramp just on dark, however next time hopefully well make it an all nighter

All in all, cant complain with our efforts, wish we coulda landed that jew but thats how it goes sometimes.

More pics to come..

DAN

Edited by Luringbream

great report mate, good to see the kings fireing out of sydney.

Never seen a jewy that small-they're kinda cute :1prop:

2 water systems in 1 day- you lucky bugger. Im stuffed doing one..

How far out did you go for the kings? You boat looks small which is good for me because mine is small too.

:ranting2: i didnt get the big bro of jews. Hopefully ill get him next time.. My goal for next season is to get one over a meter :biggrin2:

Yea the kingies were there, very thick and in great numbers..Could have spent all day there but we had to get off the water early to prepare for the big jewfish that we didnt catch :1badmood::thumbdown:

Domza,My boat is a 4.3m tinny and she goes great outside. Ive taken her as far as 15km off sydney and come dolphinfish season(not too many weeks left hopefully), ill regularly be taking her to the fad around 10-12km out. In saying that, when going out that far, you have to be very careful out there and monitor the weather for a few days in advance. I almost always fish outside the heads, not a fan of the harbour itself and the only time ill fish inside a bay is if im at botany, in a bream comp or very rarely for jewies at the hawkesbury. How big is your boat mate?

Mondo, they are there, just try to get some fresh squid or cuttlefish and troll around until you find them.

DAN

Great report Dan and a action packed session on the king's. You covered a lot of ground in a days fishing and a huge effort. Shame you could not cap off the day with your jewfish, however I an sure theirs one out there with your name on it.

Cheers

Martin

Guest fishrunner

Well done on the kings, :thumbup: , seems to be a few round pittwater,etc.

Hope you manage the jew nextime!

Looks as though you are fishin out of a brooker v14,- used to have one myself,, great lil boat with good V. :biggrin2:

cheers

Thanks guys,

Yea its a brooker v14, its a strong little boat, handles the chop well and is very comfortable to fish from. It doesnt look like much but im very happy with it, it does the job i guess.

I wont give up until i get a jewie, not asking for much, just a schoolie of around 5kg will do me fine :biggrin2:

Just not sure on how to avoid pickers chewing away at my squid head baits??

Hope you guys can all get into a few kingies as well!!

DAN

Thanks guys,

I wont give up until i get a jewie, not asking for much, just a schoolie of around 5kg will do me fine :biggrin2:

mate if your after a jew of 5 kg i wouldnt be fishing juno.only big jews there mate and inexperienced jew fishos will only get done every time from big mama jew.

if your after small schoolies mate you will find them through the system everywhere.but untill you got jew fishing down pat dont fish juno or your confidence will be shot

good luck with the jews

what did you get busted up on?

was just reading your post again and if you were fishing juno that arvo it would have been running out and dead low where did the fish run to bust you off the point wouldnt have come into the equation.

id be checking my line quality mate or even increase the line class

James - we fished Juno mid of the run up and it wasnt the point it busted me up on. I was fishing 50lb braid and 50lb leader but ive heard of many upping their leaders to 80lb+. Im just so use to having a finesse approach towards species like bream that i find it very hard to up my leader so high, but ill keep that in mind for the future.

The muzz - i've caught small jewies before but nothing over 2-3kgs and its been a very long while since ive caught one oversize, mainly due to a lack of targeting this species specifically. Ive only ever targeted them twice before thursday, But yea im hoping i can break that drought and get something over the 5kg mark, id be more than satisfied with that.

Thats a good idea, i'll probably just stick to the bridges for a while rather than hit Juno. At least until i get my new sounder..

Numbnuts - great advice, i always ensure that i have all the safety gear needed, going to the heads in a small sized boat (even big at times) shouldnt be considered a joke by all means.

THE JEW DROUGHT WILL END!!

DAN