Will It Work

Outnumbered

G'day all

i'm planning on converting my trailer from skids to rollered and need opinions as to weather my planned method will work.

its not really practical for me to do it with the boat off the trailer so i'm planning on doing it like this:

1. jack up one side of the trailer to transfer natural lean to one skid.

2. cut off the now non loadbearing skid at the two welded brackets on the frame

3. after grinding the frame flat and cold gal bolt on two sets of quad wobbles at the same point that the skid brackets were mounted.

4. raise the quads to fit snugly against the hull, tighten and lower off the jack.

5. rinse and repeat on the other side .

can anyone think of a reason this wont work?

im no expert, but i wouldn't be lifting the boat onto two skids at one time.

A better option would be going to a boat ramp on a weekday and working on it there.

have u considered buying 'retriever mate' or the cheap version at bias boating or super cheap auto for around 300 bucks?

i've got retriever mates on it (they're fantastic for getting the boat on straight) i'm not lifting the boat just tilting the trailer so it has a natural tendancy to lean away from the skid i'm removing.

the problem with doing it at a ramp is the lack of power for the tools

Edited by Outnumbered

it's a 5.25 fibregalss half cab, shes a heavy boat and launching/retrieving is a right pain in the rear (especially if i'm solo).

i've tried just raising the keel rollers but that only made it a little easier.

I've just gone from roller to skids on the new boat and trailer and to be honest find it far esier with the skids to load on and off. I may be a bit further back in the water with the trailer, buts its a dream to get on and off.

No help to you of course but I would make sure that is the way you really want to go.

cheers

Guest Big-Banana

I've just gone from roller to skids on the new boat and trailer and to be honest find it far esier with the skids to load on and off. I may be a bit further back in the water with the trailer, buts its a dream to get on and off.

No help to you of course but I would make sure that is the way you really want to go.

cheers

Yeah I agree on that, I've just found skids are the easiest way to load and unload a boat because you can drive straight on and off.

Is it possible to see a photo of the trailer , preferably without the boat.

My experience with skids is that they are there just to provide side support when the boat is completly on the trailer & not to be actually load bearing.

Noted your comment about raising the keel rollers & that slightly improved the situation.

Have you tried lowering the skids a few mm so they are just touching the bottom of the boat. This tends to be be more easier than trying to figure out the correct height of the keel rollers

Geoff

i'll get a pic next time i get the boat off, the trailer is old and the skids are impossible to adjust.

your right about the skids only beieg for support and not load bearing.

i might try just ripping off the old thick skid tops and putting new ones on first, see how that goes.

thanks for all the opinions :thumbup:

A mate of mine had similar problems to you, we went to a boat ramp and once the boat was of the trailer we stripped the old rubber strip of the skids and replaced it with 10mm thick Teflon strips that we had measured and had cut. The only tools we required was a pair of pliers to remove the staples that held the rubber and a cordless screwdriver to drill and countersink holes to attatch with Stainless wood screws to the skids.

Cost for materials was about $45.00. Purchased from DOTMAR at North Ryde.

He has not had a problem with it since.

Pete

• 6 months later...

Sorry to drag up an old topic but I am considering changing my skids to rollers (didn't see the need to create a new thread :1prop: )

Outnumbered, are you happy with the rollers compared to skids? I have a 5.8m Quintrex cuddycab and would like to fish solo occasionally; only thing stopping me is the fear of having to load by myself with any sort of crosswind...

A rope on the stern makes it easier, but it can still be difficult.

Any of your thoughts,experiences,info would be much appreciated! :thumbup:

Cheers

Holmesie

PS: my trailer has 4 keel rollers and a skid on either side

post-4464-1181640124_thumb.jpg

post-4464-1181640143_thumb.jpg

Edited by Holmesie

Hi Holmesie

Thats a nice robust looking trailer you have there, even hydraulic brakes !

For a pressed alloy boat like yours, the skid trailers are normally prefered as they distribute the weight over a larger area, maybe across 2-3 ribs in the inside of the hull.

If you insist on going for rollers, id try to make sure that they are NOT positioned between the ribs as it may cause the alloy (i assume 3-4mm bottom) to bow inwards. You may also want to measure the width of the gap inbetween the stakes to make sure that the rollers fit in between. If they are too wide they will touch the peak and valley of the stake and this can cause the boat to shear off to one side if it gets caught on one edge.

If you are only worried about loading you can get a set of retreive-a-mates (spelling?) They are a V shaped guide that bolts at the back of the trailer to help with centreing in cross winds etc. Once you get the bow about 2-3 feet up into the V the stern normally pulls back around square to the trailer.

By only swapping the skids to rollers would not normally help with alignment, except maybe a bit easier to winch/drive up due to less friction.

Id start by getting one of the retreive-a-mates, you would probably still want it even if you did go down the roller path later. There are 2-3 brands all doing the same thing but retreive-a-mate was the original as far as i know.

cheers

Rod

Edited by fishingrod

Thanks Rod, I think I'll take your advice and try a Retrieve-a-mate or Eziloader. I'm only worried about loading and from what you suggested and what I've read, it will probably be the answer. Also, your comments about the weight-distribution of the skids are wise, and it would probably be in my best interests to retain them given the poor-quality (rrrrough!) roads I regularly tow the boat on.

Any comments on self-centring keel rollers? Useful addition or a gimmick? Probably they're not required if I get a Retrieve-a-mate.

And thanks, it IS a nice sturdy trailer (the disc brakes are cable operated though, not hydraulic). It tows very nicely without any hint of swaying which is comforting as I've towed my fair-share of badly designed trailers in my time!

Cheers

Holmesie

Edited by Holmesie

no worries Holmesie

I notice that a lot of you regional guys have dual axle trailers (even on light to medium weight rigs) and its definatly worth it for stability. I saw a curly bit near the calipers in one of the photos ... thought it it was hydraulic piping.

Ive got no expeierence with those keel rollers you mention. The theory is good ... but as you say prob not required if you have the Retrieve-a or Eziloader.

EDIT: If you really want more support you can upgrade to double keel rollers ... arrrrrh its all money. Im really fussy with my trailer. After i got it i spent 6 months making tiny adjustments here and there until i was entirely happy.

cheers, good luck

Rod

Edited by fishingrod

although i only pull my boat onto my trailer not drive it on, as i find this hassle free, my trailer has retrieve mate and its great i just get the boat behind the trailer dosent matter what angle its at or if its lined up on rollers just pull it on and bingo she slides down onto rollers and straightens by herself no worries, perfect every time. i can see the last owner drove it on and i think that it would be great to drive on also. cant fault this setup!

oh yeah i have skids!