Landbased In Sydney

wishihadaboat

Hey all,

As you can guess from my username I'm desperate and boatless, anyway just want to get some hints and tips off anyone who can offer some suggestions on best landbased spots in syd, after anything really but steering clear of rock fishing... Mostly tried places like Kellys Bush at Woolwich (Never too much luck - few little bream) and occasionally around Avalon/Careel Bay. Went down to Barrenjoey park on Wed arvo and picked up a nice little flatty despite 5hitty tide, huge winds and overcast skies... Any other suggestions?

Try the bottom of Angelo Street Woolwich

This is the lane cove river side of the point there is a

Rocky outcrop with a concrete block on top of it (With holes to hold your ROD)

I have fished here many times in the past and have caught Flatties, Brim, and Trevally. Blue swimmer crabs.

And have been busted off many times by much larger fish. (I fish with 9lb line with a 6lb trace very light)

Best time early in the morning or late in the afternoon.

There use to be a guy that fished out of a canoe at this spot on the incoming tide drifting and he would get

Flattie after flattie.

Well worth a try anyway

Good luck

SPARKY

And have been busted off many times by much larger fish. (I fish with 9lb line with a 6lb trace very light)

Sparky,

I always thought that you were meant to have a heavier leader than main line??

Am I wrong?

I always thought that you were meant to have a heavier leader than main line??

Use a heavier leader for abrasion resistance around rocks, oysters, coral, etc.

Lighter ones when fish are spooky, clear water, in areas of heavy fishing pressure, etc

Cheers,

Richie.

Paul

I alway's have used a light leader paticually for brim as they spook easily so the less weight the better.

If I'm fishong outside I use a heavier leader. However with all types of fishing I have found that the lighter u

fish u tend to get better results. (if u don't get busted off that is)

Sparky

Guest johblow

Hi there. I think that the most important thing with landbased fishing is to get good bait, and choose your time well. In any sort of fishing good bait is important, but when you are landbased, in my experience it can be the difference between success and total failure. I often out fish poor bystanders when im using yabbies. Chances are they are using servo prawns, and they just dont cut the mustard.

Also, the timing i mentioned means choosing the time when the fish are feeding or have easy access to where you are fishing. Ie, they need some water depth if they are feeding in that area. Either that, or some good structure (ie its where they live and get protection).

So, what i often do is go to refuge cove and pump some yabbies, then fish there for a bit (there are whiting around there). Also, there are other places that you can access by car in pittwater where you can get em. Then ill drive to somewhere else for a fish, usually woollies bridge at Narra lakes, or somewhere else.

Hawkesbury prawns work ok in lieu of yabbies. But, i always feel a bit uneasy about supporting the practice trawling them. But, they are the best i have used (of frozen prawns i mean).

Another favourite of mine is to use left over (frozen) yabbies down at bobbin head. There are yabbies that live down there but they are tiny. The mud doesnt support them to grow any bigger i think. Have also fished there with little crabs and that was good fun. Once again good quality prawns work well there too...

Have been meaning to check out ATB for yabbies for some time but have never gotten around to it, i assume there are some but very small once again, and the mud is probably like treacle.

Best of luck!!!

Thanks for the tips guys, we're considering buying a ski boat or something now, just getting so bloody dissapointed, the tip about Angelo street almost worked, got a few decent bites and 1 little yellowtail about an hour before top of tide at 7.54pm but nothing else, shifted back to Kelly's Bush for a quick session to no avail and then onto Blackwattle bay, used Pilchards and some Squid strips and also cut up the Yellowtail and used that to no success... shall try the bread! and Yabbies, thanks guys

:(

Guest johblow

Dont worry, we all have days like that! Even if you have a boat you still have days where the fish are on holidays... thats just fishing! ;-)

Dont worry, we all have days like that! Even if you have a boat you still have days where the fish are on holidays... thats just fishing! ;-)

When I fish this spot I will always have a veriaty of bait. usually Fresh

Squid, Prawns.(local seafood supplier) chicken gutt or Chicken breast

or even some slimy if they have some.

I am not a soft plastic fisho (to much work involved) so I dont know how they would go in this spot.

I have found the best time is at dusk

Sparky

Well, Rose Bay Wharf you can get almost anything on average prawns. I have seen a guy pull in a 60cm kingie on prawns, and there are numerous amounts of squid around as well. The baitfish are also prolific! Leatherjackets are under the wharf (you can see them!) as well as some decent blackfish. Flatheads are also good. However, the ferry goes past so unless the tides are right ect. you can get a bit stuck, pulling in every 10 mins. I'm trying to find more spots and hopefully I will...

Henners

Frozen prawns get a bad rap so often and as kelvin suggests using them supports unsustainable fishing practices by professional fisherman. Having a little 4 year old who wants to go fishing "NOW", I am sometijmes forced to use frozen servo prawns with often great succes. the trick is to be selective and pick out ones that haven't suffered temperature abuse (and gone all blacK), shell them and thread theam on like a worm. In the right conditions whiting and bream love them as opposed to unpeeled prawns.

davo

Guest johblow

Well, Rose Bay Wharf you can get almost anything on average prawns. I have seen a guy pull in a 60cm kingie on prawns, and there are numerous amounts of squid around as well. The baitfish are also prolific! Leatherjackets are under the wharf (you can see them!) as well as some decent blackfish. Flatheads are also

Ive always thought there must be some thumper resident bream under that floating restaurant thing. id love to float some yabbies in under it some time...

• 5 months later...

Hey guys just thought I'd bump this and see if there's any more suggestions so some of us who aren't fortunate enough to own a boat have a better chance at grabbing some decent fish, not worried so much about rock fishing but beach and just any good landbased spots in the sydney area.

Gday, well land based there is plenty of good places

but unfortunately they are all quite congested

it all comes down to what your after & are you gona eat it

if you keep/eat your fish, remember nothing past the bridge, but personally nothing past clifton

in the harbour theres little manly point, pier2, clifton gardens, blues point, greenwich point etc

they can all and have produced decent catches for me over the years.

but most imp is what you want!

if ur just getting started and would love to catch decent bream

i would suggest hangin around areas with heaps of structure, well this time of year anyways, eg: wharfs

cheers Jin

Congested is an understatement! In some instances, some of the places we have been to could see each fisho with up to 4 rods all spaced out and taking up up to 5 metres of fishing space .. quite unreasonable if you ask me.

Hardly makes fishing a relaxing pastime.

I fish at Balls Head reserve in Waverton (next stop up from Nth Sydney) and usually get bream around 27 - 32cm and up to 37 cm if Im lucky. Also caught a 35cm snapper a few flatties, red scorpion fish and a few other species. Lost a few real thumpers, so theres some bigguns in there. I havent been taking the catch home tho cuz of the dioxins. You wont catch a bag of fish but you will get some decent sized ones. I use steak for bait as it holds up against the little reds that will monster any prawns or worms you throw in there. Just make sure you hide all of the hook with the point exposed and the bream will jump on it. Get the reddest, bloodiest and cheapest steak you can (no sense using a scotch fillet!) with as little fat on it as possible, they dont like the white bits. Balls head reserve you have to walk down a bush track for about 5 - 10 mins and climb onto some rocks, but its a nice place and a great view of the city.

Good luck!

post-4457-1181005117_thumb.jpg