How To Fish For Baitfish?

henryinnis

For yellow tail - we burley lots with bread, swishing the burley bucket every couple of minutes, use little hooks and stick a bit of bread or pilchard on the end (depends what they are biting on, on the day)

For mullet - Jim learnt off a chinese man how to nail them - long rod with no bait, just a duck feather near the hook and when they are on they nail them.

Rice also makes great burley. I always save my leftovers. Fish light (6lb), no sinker, and small (size 12 or 14) hook.

Some days though, they just willl not bite. If they did there would be no fish in the ocean.

davo

Hey mate, bait jigs are the way to go.....i burley up with pellets bought from the tackle shop, slice up little pillie pieces about the size of your small fingernail and put them on the bait jig hooks, this method landed me about 35 livies before the jew social, highly recomend it...

Yeah bait jigs are the way to go, get the quality ones, not the cheapo's, Crazy john put me onto some recently and they are great

No bait needed.....just throw them out and you will have 6 Yakka's or slimies on board, caught well over 30 in 10 minutes last week with them

Yeah bait jigs are the way to go, get the quality ones, not the cheapo's, Crazy john put me onto some recently and they are great

No bait needed.....just throw them out and you will have 6 Yakka's or slimies on board, caught well over 30 in 10 minutes last week with them

come on oz spill?

:thumbup:

these sound rather special hehe

stevo

Wish i could help mate. I went out Monday, burley'd heavy, had two lines with four hook setup's, different size hooks, everything from prawns to pilchards to squid, thought i was sweet. Got nothing but pissy little red snapper everywhere i went, tried four different spots. My big overhead rod never got to release a cast :thumbdown:

Cheers,

Mark

There are always some yellow tails and slimeys hanging around Lion island. I always catch a dozen of them. Use the bait jig like mentioned before. I just grab the ones from *****, they work really good or a small hook witha small sinker and drop it about 5 meters down with a pinch of pilchard on the hook and wollah! :tease:

Why did <**** > come out in asterisks?

Edited by Flightmanager

Bait jigs come with different size hooks. When I first bought 1 I didn't know what size hook to go for. Over time i've had best success with size 8 or smaller. I've found the smaller the piece of bait i put on the hook the better the hook up rate. Pieces of peeled prawn hang on to the hook better than pilchard. If they go off the bite with pieces of prawn or pilchard i try pieces of yellowtail. A very light rod tip helps so they don't pull the hook when they thrash around. Don't get stuck on 1 bait cause their preference can change from minute to minute. If they keep stealing the bait, sharpen your hooks, try giving them more slack line. Use mimimum weight. I find 6 hooks hard to handle so I cut them in half & fish with 3.

• 5 months later...

There is a Japanese brand of bait jig they sell, (Himatsu ? or Sabiyaki ? - all those Japanese names look the same!!!) can't think of the name that are pale pink in size 6 or 8 that work well. Watto's and Fishfinder Tony both have them.

We were having trouble on the weekend and had plenty of them swimming around the boat. We burleyed with bread - nada, used bread crumbs - nada, used pellets - nada.

I mixed the bread crumbs with water and tuna oil and dropped it in. The yakkas went crazy and if you held the jig near the burley ball we caught fish. We ended up with around 30 of them.

Only 2 were caught with bait on small hooks, the rest were caught with the jig.

My son had the jig in the water and I tossed the burley in - great teamwork.

My 7 yr old son also likes the fact that he caught 28 and I caught 2. :1fishing1:

PS I also tried a different bait jig that was on a hand line - different brand and the feathers were green - nada.

Cheers

Greg

For burley I use cat food!! Fish variety in the purple tin , into the burley bucket , and in seconds there are hundreds of hungry diners !!

I think the jigs you are talking about Greg are Hyabusa brand . The hooks a very tiny ( look about the size you would hook goldfish on ) and super sharp. Tony and Sean both carry them in stock.

Ross

Guest MRS WATTO

For burley I use cat food!! Fish variety in the purple tin , into the burley bucket , and in seconds there are hundreds of hungry diners !!

I think the jigs you are talking about Greg are Hyabusa brand . The hooks a very tiny ( look about the size you would hook goldfish on ) and super sharp. Tony and Sean both carry them in stock.

Ross

spot on ROSS,

the HYABUSA jigs are great we used them for the first time last weekend and landed about 40+ YAKKAS IN 30min,other bait jigs dont compare

they are only $5 a pkt and well worth the money for what you can catch with them :yahoo:

• 2 months later...

I to can vouch for the hyabussa jigs, i got a few packs from wattos and they work great!!!! My only problem is that we can only ever get yakkas..... I haven't yet scored a slimie out of sydney harbour or the heads.... Anyone got any spots or tricks to target slimies cause we have the yakkas down pat!!! Can even pick which size we want just need to go to a different place for each one!!!!!

Any help with the slimies would be great!!!

Thanks guys!!!

I have only caught yakkas as well, however a couple of times they have been smashed by something else but know idea what it was.

Someone on here posted up that they landed a kingie on one!!!

Cheers

Greg

Yeah i had a kingie bust me off and cut my finger in the process in near balmoral when i had tiny bits of bread on the hook!!!! Saw it happen and couldn't believe my eyes!!!!

:biggrin2:

Yeah i had a kingie bust me off and cut my finger in the process in near balmoral when i had tiny bits of bread on the hook!!!! Saw it happen and couldn't believe my eyes!!!!

:thumbup: if you can see the yakkas in the burley and they wont bite try grated raw potato [1 handfull ] its worked for me :thumbup: sends them into a feeding frenzy :thumbup:

peter :1fishing1: