First King For Charles

namesay

Hi raiders. I went out with a bit of a mission today and that was to get a king fish for a self proclaimed unluckiest fisherman ever. Charles cuts my hair and has been asking ( bugging actually ) me for about a year to take him out fishing for kingfish. He has tried unsuccessfully to catch a kingie for 7 years :05:

He has been out on charter after charter, fished the rocks and beaches and everywhere else to catch a kingfish to no avail. Feeling sorry for the man I decided we will try and tackle them today.

Yesterday we had some rain and the weather was overcast but was due to clear. Launched at Roseville and headed ouside for any surface activity. The salmon were working north head. Charles has CAUGHT salmon so he was familiar with them. We got a couple...but needed kings!.

Headed back into the harbour for some squid. This is where charles' unlucky streak hit home as he couldn't BUY a squid. Lately I have become the bait catcher as even my children have rarely scored on the squid. But after about an hour we had 4 squid.

Tried downrigging around the harbour and there were NO fish. No bait but some sort of terrorist exercise was being conducted around the harbour. The helicopters were everywhere and flying low....scared everyfish within miles! Charles luck was following him.

So I decided to go into Middle Harbour and downrig there. Once again the fish were hard to track down and constantly I was thinking of charles the jonah!!! Thinking everything was lost I tried spot after spot...nothing but tailer. We were running out of squid as we only had 2 left.

Had a bit of a conference and told charles to dump his superstitions and had a bite to eat. With a fresh attitude we went over some of the ground we covered before. BANG the downrigger goes off and Charles couldn't believe he was onto a kingfish. The fish wasn't large at 73cm but he had broken his hoodoo!!! :thumbup:

post-2057-1166007220_thumb.jpg

We got the second bait out and it took off as well. But now charles was a verteran and had not the nerves of his first fish. The fish was duly landed. It was a bit smaller at 65cm. Since we already had a fish for charles we decided to release it.

Now he is a "lucky"fisherman :biggrin2: . He has broken the hoodoo and has confidence. What a difference a couple of fish can make!!!SO even a complete novice can catch them when shown what to do. I guess if you are new to these kingfish then come to the social!!! Another good day on the kings. CHeers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

Hello guys,

i am very excited to finally meet some raiders this weekend on the king bash we're hoping to do.

i am very upset that i will be at Jervis Bay at the time of the kingies social... i could drive up but if the guys get a marlin that day i wont forgive myself!

Nice work on the kings Kelvin. Good to see you're not secretive ... not trying to hint about any jew fishermen !!

god willing the weather will be good on the weekend so we get out and get some!

R_Zee

Guest danielinbyron

Yeah good on you to Namesay its a great feeling putting a worthwhile campaigner on to the trail . Weird how once the spell is broken the fish start behaving, congrats Charles, hooodlums next :thumbup:

is that my eyes playing funny buggers or does that kings have

big dents in the side of it???

:wacko: somebody correct me hehehe

steve :1fishing1:

I think the fish had been sitting in the esky, on top of some drinks bottles etc. Hence the depression on the fish.

I think the fish had been sitting in the esky, on top of some drinks bottles etc. Hence the depression on the fish.

I took that photo after the fish was sitting in the esky that 445F is familliar with. I freeze water in drink bottles and use them to chill the bait/fish in the esky Can always drink the stuff when it is too hot. The photo was taken close to the boat ramp just as we were about to clean the fish.... Charles told me he couldn't sleep last night! Is still over the moon about catching a kingie. CHeers Kelvin

Charles called me today to say that he had a WILD party last night. He had the kingfish sashimi style and the second hand squid courtesy of the tailer. Absolutely loved it!!! Amazing what catching a fish can do for a blokes outlook in life. I think all of us get a big thrill out of watching someone enjoying their life that little bit more. CHeers Kelvin

I think the social will be a great meeting for all of us who like catching kings. It is not just a fishing comp but rather an event aimed at getting the members together to share knowledge and techniques. I guess those who are new to kings are going to walk away with lots of good advice and those who are already proficient will have others to throw ideas around.

Also Rohit has supplied a great prize for those lucky to catch a big one. I am glad that so many raiders are going to the kingie social. Will be a great day! Cheers Kelvin

Charles called me today to say that he had a WILD party last night. He had the kingfish sashimi style and the second hand squid courtesy of the tailer. Absolutely loved it!!! Amazing what catching a fish can do for a blokes outlook in life. I think all of us get a big thrill out of watching someone enjoying their life that little bit more. CHeers Kelvin

Mate i know what you mean, i have family friends that i have taken out on occasions and seeing them get thier first king is priceless......Makes a person feel great......hopefully at the social we will be able to run a few raiders out and get them onto their first kings

It still amazes me how hard these fellas can pull. Even the small ones. I guess if you are new to kings then this really blows your mind away. Not many fish can pull drag off 50lb braid in Sydney harbour but kings DO!! I think the kings keep most of the tackle stores in business these days....all of us using up terminals, rods, reels, downriggers, sounders, boats, fuel, lures, squid jigs and lines at a rate of knots.

When I used to fish for blackfish, I never used to buy anything! Just bought a box of 100 sneck hooks for a whole year and that was it. Made my own floats, scrounged lead sheet from old homes and gathered my own bait. Still have my old centrepin reels and side casts. Indestructible.

Now I spend over a grand on an outfit just to fish for kings without blinking an eye!!! They must love us at the tackle stores. Cheers kelvin