Squid Jig In Operation - Funny

PPSGT

Back in my younger days when i was about 10 and before bag limits on squid South Australia

My Uncle , Dad and I were trolling in a 10 foot dinghy for snook and salmon trout with a paravane

100 metres out from my Uncles shack in an area heavily fished now by pros for squid.

When we stopped and pulled the paravane in - which had a basic white plastic lure on it, it was followed

up by a massive school of southern calamari squid. Between the three of us we boated 60 squid in 10

minutes, the water was black from all the ink. I go back there once a year and we always bag out ( 15 squid per person ) within an hour

I have been in Sydney now for 18 months and it has taken me that long to find a squid spot as good as that

one. I got invited on a fishing trip with two old guys in there 50's and 60's who had fished the area for a

long time. He took me to the squid spot, but said there were hardly any there and he was lucky if he caught

one for bait. I took one look at the area and bottom structure which was basically a squid paradise!

But not wanting to say anything being half his age and thankfull for the invite went along with his

squid fishing method and after an hour and only 2 squid caught we went fishing offshore to his favourite reef.

We got on well fishing and he was great at bottom bashing, so I mentioned that I new a little bit about

squiding and might be able to show him some pointers to catch more "bait".

We went back to the same spot, showed him how to squid and bagged 20 big squid (30cm hoods) within 15 minutes until his livebait tank was full

He had fished the same spot for years and never managed more than a half a dozen in an afternoon.

The poor squid population got a bit of a bashing from him over the next week, but he must have

liked the tips as the only fish we caught while offshore besides flathead was a big blue morwong which he ended giving to me. The other guy ( who invited me ) almost had a heart attack as he has fished with him many times before and he has never offered to split the catch let alone give away the best fish.

PPSGT

kelvin is going to have a heart attack when he sees this

I had a heart attack from all the jigging I did last week!

But I have seen squid being caught like this all over the world. The commercial squid fishermen in asia use this method all the time especially at night. They then dry the squid and sell them as snacks.

Squid like this congregate for mating and in some species as a diurnal activity. SOme squid stay in deep water say 300-500m then come to the surface in massive numbers to feed at night. The squid population has a HUGE bearing on certain fish species from Broadbill swordfish to even seals.

By the way you CAN get squid like this sometimes here in sydney. Mark who is a friend of mine caught southern calamari squid by the boxful..something like 2-300 squid in one session. Got the photos to prove it to anyone who doesn't believe. They were on a mating spree..all very BIG squid. That is like 6 months worth of king baits...He told me he won't be doing it again as he is now sick of eating squid. Had squid sandwiches, squid salad, squid fried, boiled...etc...squidded out.Cheers Kelvin

Kelvin what is your background?? You seem to know a little scientrific nomenclature. Maybe its none of my business, but just curious.

Davo

I am a dental surgeon by trade. Got taught at a good uni here in Sydney. Studied all that biological stuff as well as the chemistry, physics..etc. Boring as watching grass grow but useful once you learn it. Cheers Kelvin

We went back to the same spot, showed him how to squid and bagged 20 big squid (30cm hoods) within 15 minutes until his livebait tank was full

Hi there

I'd just be happy with enough for the odd feed!

Like Chris, I'd love to have a few more tips on squidding - I have caught a few off the rocks here in Forster & seen a few chase my bait/lures when in my kayak, but have never really 'gotten into them' or found a reliable spot! None of them have been any real size.

I've just re-read the Fishraider article on squidding - what would you do that is different from the info there??

http://www.fishraider.com.au/articles/squid/

Cheers & have a great Xmas & New Year

Roberta

PS We'll probably have a go whilst my brother is up from Sydney in the new year! He does a great squid 'fry up'!