How Fast Is 4 Knots?

arpie

Hi guys

Just got back from a kayak in Wallis Lake, Tuncurry. Nearly got swamped by bow waves from boats on numerous occasions - they get aggressive when you signal to them to 'slow down, 4 knots'.

I understood '4 knots' to be a fast walking pace - about 6k/hr - what most folk would do, say, walking around the block for exercise. Lots of channels here are either 'no wash zone' or '4 knots'. I thought that 4 knots would also have little, if any, wash. Some boats can travel faster in a 'no wash' zone apparantly, if they are up on the plane & don't create wash, but 4 knot zone is an official speed zone.

Most make no attempt to slow down & are going far more than 10 knots anyway - like a speed boat.

You never see any Maritime Services boats out policing it. I have actually been swamped once - it was not pleasant. Luckily, I was not far from shore & didn't capsize. Didn't make me feel any better!

Anyone else had that experience in a 'non powered boat'?

On top of all that - I didn't catch a feed!!! Went out last week & caught lots of 'throw back' flatties of sps, but no legal ones. The oyster trays had all been lifted - looks like I need to find a new spot, with trays. Spotted heaps of gar & mullet around, so took out my mullet rig & bread today & got a few poddies for bait. Put one out as 'livie' but no hits on that either.

When the tourists arrive, the fish hide! Oh well, I get a feed most times!

Cheerio for now

Roberta

What really annoyed me yesterday was when I crossed the channel to get back to the car. A small boat was coming out of Ohmas Bay, nice & slowly, towards me. Tide was coming in fast, so if I stopped paddling, I would have been half way to the Wallamba in no time flat, so I continued in a straight line to the shore. I assumed this bloke would do a loop behind me to get into the channel.

What does he do?

He speeds up and goes in front of me, creating a huge wave that then washed over the front of the kayak, wetting me! I said 'Thanks Mate' in a very sarcastic voice & he actually waved at me, thinking I was being complimentary! Then I got annoyed!

Lots of people slow down when they see a moored boat or a kayak, just out of courtesy. Most, unfortunately, don't - & continue at speed. I'd love to see them on the highway - I bet they don't stick to the speed limit there, either - & just hope they cop lots of fines!

Next time you are in your car - try driving at 6-8km/hr & see just how slow it really is! You might be surprised!

What happened about powered boats having to give way to non-powered boats? Or does this only relate to yachts??

Cheers

Roberta

What really annoyed me yesterday was when I crossed the channel to get back to the car. A small boat was coming out of Ohmas Bay, nice & slowly, towards me. Tide was coming in fast, so if I stopped paddling, I would have been half way to the Wallamba in no time flat, so I continued in a straight line to the shore. I assumed this bloke would do a loop behind me to get into the channel.

What does he do?

He speeds up and goes in front of me, creating a huge wave that then washed over the front of the kayak, wetting me! I said 'Thanks Mate' in a very sarcastic voice & he actually waved at me, thinking I was being complimentary! Then I got annoyed!

Lots of people slow down when they see a moored boat or a kayak, just out of courtesy. Most, unfortunately, don't - & continue at speed. I'd love to see them on the highway - I bet they don't stick to the speed limit there, either - & just hope they cop lots of fines!

Next time you are in your car - try driving at 6-8km/hr & see just how slow it really is! You might be surprised!

What happened about powered boats having to give way to non-powered boats? Or does this only relate to yachts??

Cheers

Roberta

yeah its common courtesy rather than rules that should apply! however the guy mentioned may have been breaking the law!

"You must keep 30 metres from any person or anything in the water when you are travelling at 10 knots or more"

Chris

G`day Fellas ,

Robbie , Its Xmas hols , and unfortunately we all have to suffer these fools .

These weekend warriors who have no respect for anybody or anything , honestly believe the entite Universe was created just for their own personal Use.

We had an Ultralight here yesterday Skimming the Sand Dunes at Low Level , which is not only dangerous , but scares the beejeezuz out of the "Little Terns" who are nesting and egg sitting , and when scared off , the eggs spoil in the sun and of course they don`t hatch .

Not to mention raising the Hackles of the " Fist Shaking - Goon Waders" chucking Plastics for Flatties .

I suppose all we can do is grin and bear it , although Slashing a few Tyres would ease our pain slightly though.

Mick

PS , The Link Below is a very Usel site for Converting anything to Anything !!.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/speed_all.htm

Edited by OWZAT

i went to kissing point the other night

and had to wait for nearly 2 hrs to get on the ramp

cause there were 2 semi trailers down the ramp at the same time .

:ranting2:

they didnt even know each other. :074:

man i was going sick, it was obviouse they were rich unsavoury characters putting there 60 foot boats in for new years eve

on this small recreational ramp!!!!!

anyway ...one trailor got stuck cause it was about 60 foot long and his wheels were in the bloody chanel stuck on some old car id say..

sucked in!!!!lucky for him the other trailor was equiped with a big masive hydrolic crane and pulled him out.

in the MEAN TIME I HAD A SERIOUS CASE OF RAMP RAGE and a large crowd of spectators gathered. not to mention a que of 10 fishers wanting to get on the ramp, some gave up and went to cabarita.

if you read this and it was you .....your an idiot!!!!

one of the trailors was a profesional boat moving mob :ranting2: ......bloody hell

even if you did intend to put a semi trailor down kissing point ramp if you turned up and some other idiot was putting his semi down the ramp you'd wait wouldnt ya.

after i finally did get in the water the same 2 boats were hogging the pontoon, (lucky CFD wasnt there) and one guy yelled at me for using my paddle to push my self away from his 60 foot shit box still blocking the ramp

i couldnt even pick up my mate from the pontoon had to ring him on the mbl and tell him to go to the bloody river cat warf to pick him up, where we had 2 wait another 10 for the river cat to pass, and then i had to battle the army of land based fisherman, ilegally fishing off the cat warf (which i dont have problem with but not while the cats are still running and if a boat wants to come in move ya lines :ranting2: )

so after about 2 hrs we were on the water, after 2 minutes of fishing my mate pulls up a 10kilo jew before im even rigged up :thumbup: HEY YEAH were in for a good night???? nope :thumbdown: didnt turn another reel for 6 hrs and went home with out me getting a fish doh!!!

happy for my bro though, and will always rig up at home from now on :1prop:

thanks for listening

Edited by CaineS