Porty Kings

netic

Hey guys,

Wasnt planning on going fishing this week but a mate called me yesterday and said he wanted to get onto a king and after seeing Johns 90cm king yesterday i said lets head south and give it a go...

We left my place at around 4.30am and got to the ramp at around 6.00am.

Headed straight to the live bait grounds and then headed out to the island at around 7.00am.

Was met with much calmer conditions then expected, around a 2 metre swell with the odd one bigger but there was no chop at all so i was over the moon.

Headed straight to a spot and threw out the anchor and started to burley....whilst burleying we saw a rescue chopper airlifting someone and then got told by a mate that a boat capsized because they got to close to the island....

Anyway we stayed there about an hour and got pretty bored ( I hate throwing anchor and just waiting) so i decided to get pro active and find these bastards.

Did a lap till i noticed some activity on the sounder, threw down the livies and bang we are on.

Over the next hour and a half we caught around 25 kings with triple hook ups nearly everytime. Most were just under legal, When we ran out of livies we threw sluggos and they were smashing them aswell. After all this action we were pretty tired but we wanted to nail a larger one. We were out of livies so we made a call to go back in and get some more then come back.

Picked up another 20 yakkas and headed back out....by now the wind had picked up and were met with some crappy conditions at the island (see Pic)

We then sounded out another school and got the livies down, the current had picked up which made things difficult.

Within 2 minuites we were on again, this time they were larger being just over legal, landed another 10 or so before one rod goes off.....the one with the pike on it.....the rod starts screaming and my mate grabs it.

This thing hit a spheros with an upgraded drag and it couldnt be stopped and it eventually found the botom and won its freedom....spewing

While were were upset about this lost fish my mates rod gets smashed......starts running and he calls it for a bigger fish....We boat it and it comes in at 82cm.....

By now it is around 2.00pm and the conditions were looking really sh.it and we were starving so we make a call to head back in and leave them on the bite.

All in all a good day with approx forty kings landed and a few lost.

Edited by netic

nice work there dude,

i hit the bay today and the swell near bear island and the point was rolling at ATLEAST 4m

it was HUUUUUGE then they were breaking on the shallow reef.. so it sucked i couldnt

venture out to far..

sounder worked a treat 2day to mate :thumbup:

cheers steve

I think I saw you out there today as well.

We anchored trying to get the squid and you were cruising past.

I picked up a squid on the first cast and thought this is easy, what is all the fuss about. 300 casts later, we still only had the 1 squid and it was too good to use for bait.

It looked a bit rough around the island, so we fished the container wall for zip.

We also tried drifting of the beach for flatties as well as a bit of trolling.

We drove out to the heads and trolled back, but no luck.

We didn't have much luck finding livies, although we tried quite a few spots.

Ended up getting a couple of nice flatties though, so flattie and calamari for dinner tomorrow night.

When are we going to get some decent fishing weather???

Cheers

Greg

We were half way through eating a big bag of Dorito's when the second lot of kingys hit....needless to say the dorito's ended up all over the boat after all the comotion and action, thats what the orange crap is

Edited by netic

We were half way through eating a big bag of Dorito's when the second lot of kingys hit....needless to say the dorito's ended up all over the boat after all the comotion and action, thats what the orange crap is

Yep, that has happened before! Drop everything for the fish!

Nice one Netic, shame about the lost fish. Any King over 80cm is a good size, glad the trip down there was worth it.

We went out yesterday in the harbour, and the waves were pretty big too. There was plenty of white wash around Dobroyd, I had never seen the waves so big and thick, pretty scary stuff.

Edited by 445F

hey thunder where abouts did u get the squid frm please any help will be great plus wat boat u got u wouldve seen me in my 4.10 tinnie

On whereis.com.au it is called inscription pt.

On the south head inside the bay there are some shallows with weed beds.

We were in a 5.5m white cruise craft - older model.

I saw a couple of tinnies out there.

One was a pretty new one around Molls Pt (container wall) that we were fishing near.

Cheers

Greg

PS just worked out you guys were in Port Kembla not Port Botany (Botany bay)

Edited by Thunder