Broadbill Had Great Day On The Marlin

Ross Hunter

Having been through the horrors for a few trips lately, coming back with a few flea yellowfin and a dollie or two I was begining to think we had lost the plot and the abillity to catch a marlin. We had seen a fish or two but could not raise them. It all changed this weekend when we worked in close around the Peak, Maroubra and Coogee The water was a superb 22 degrees and loaded with small stripes and blacks. Apart of the problem we have had has been the horrible and purple, 25 degree water that has been roaring around for a while. water that catches more fishermen than it has fish. Some may think that hot is good, but just ask our striped marlin population and they will not agree with you. Any thing over 24 and they are looking for the cooler stuff.

We caught two marlin and jumped the third off at the trace. A great day was had by all including me. Tips for those fishing in the next few days don't go past 50 fathoms... Ideal for small boats and less fuel burn.

I have some great photos and more coming from the customers. Will try to post later If not they will be on www.gamefishingcharters.com.au ...In Fishing reports section..in the next day or two.

Hi Ross

Congrats on raising fish ;) were they lure caught or did u find bait?

Two questions, what channels do u listern to on the radios was thinking of trying to call u yesterday as we found nothing,

And

When do u go to Port?

Jon

Edited by jjsydney

sound like you guys had a blast.

we went to bait station with no luck to chase marlin with losing the only striped tuna at the boat for the day.

John and Raiders,

Thanks for the kind words. We have been doin' it tough for a few trips . There is a saying amongst marlin skippers ............"Never get to happy when you have a good day and never get to sad when they don't bite for you" ..Because at the end of the season it all evens out if you work hard and put the time into these magnificent fish.

So we just work harder in the tough times and enjoy and appreciatte a good day just that much more...but we always remember that to brag to much can be a bitter pill to swallow when the going gets tough again. Its like "going from the pent house to the shit house". :05:

We caught the fish on small Bloodshot lures and skipped mullet in 45 fathoms All were raised in a square mile sector...They were all 60 kg approx.... Broadbill sits on channel 82... 27 mhz commercial channel and 2284 hf as well as 10 vhf.

Happy New year :beersmile: to you all and may the fish gods be kind to you

Ross and Glenn Hunter

John and Raiders,

Thanks for the kind words. We have been doin' it tough for a few trips . There is a saying amongst marlin skippers ............"Never get to happy when you have a good day and never get to sad when they don't bite for you" ..Because at the end of the season it all evens out if you work hard and put the time into these magnificent fish.

So we just work harder in the tough times and enjoy and appreciatte a good day just that much more...but we always remember that to brag to much can be a bitter pill to swallow when the going gets tough again. Its like "going from the pent house to the shit house". :05:

We caught the fish on small Bloodshot lures and skipped mullet in 45 fathoms All were raised in a square mile sector...They were all 60 kg approx.... Broadbill sits on channel 82... 27 mhz commercial channel and 2284 hf as well as 10 vhf.

Happy New year :beersmile: to you all and may the fish gods be kind to you

Ross and Glenn Hunter

Raiders, I forgot to mention...If you want some tips on bait fishing for marlin visit "Fishing stories and Hints" :1fishing1: and scroll through to baits for marlin section.... It is the only way to go..hope it helps..www.gamefishingcharters.com.au

Raiders, I forgot to mention...If you want some tips on bait fishing for marlin visit "Fishing stories and Hints" :1fishing1: and scroll through to baits for marlin section.... It is the only way to go..hope it helps..www.gamefishingcharters.com.au

Geez, i'm all booked in to drive 6hrs to south west rocks to try and catch a marlin and here they are not far off shore in our own backyard.Oh well i might have to get a few trips in before i go.Thanks for the report Ross.

Hi Ross & Glenn

Went out yesterday based on your report Henry got Saturday from Pat on "YUM YUM", in Henry's 5.2 Kevlacat.

Water was all over the place with it going from green to that purple you talked about and the run we had was in 90 mtrs and the water had a definite green tinge about it. Young Nick called it for a black 80 kg ?, but pulled the hooks after about a run of 150-200 mtrs. A bit of bait showed up on the sounder around where we got the strike so in close IS the place at the moment. Catch up with you next time i see you at the marina.

"BIG KEN"