Sandworms

FishinBoy

hey all, wondering how i would watch sandworms, live ... i could buy them each time i do they are frozen and are completely crap, so im asking for some advice on this topic, i need to know where i could catch them, how and what equipment ill need and where i could possibly buy the equipment, this assistance is much appreciated

Thanks in Advance

Fishinboy

Guest johblow

I cant say im a pro at this, but i have done it a few times, and it is a bit of an art form, or skill to be more precise. It really helps if you have a buddy along to drag the burley around in the wave run off. I assume you have seen people worming before? In case you havent, they are caught where the waves break on the beach, and need to be attracted up using some burley. As the run off from the wave washes back down into the surf, the smell of the burley is sensed by the worms and they poke their heads up, making a V shape wake in the run off. Now, im not sure what tide is best, but i would guess that a lower tide would be good. That is based on my experience with pippies.

Anyhow, once you know where the worm is, the bloke with a small cut fish bait goes over to above where the worm is, and dangles the bait in the last of the wash to lure the worm back up. You then move the bait in so that the worm can grab it with its teeth. Meanwhile your thumb and forefinger are within millimeters of the worm ready to pounce. They arch their backs at this point and this is about where your lightning fast reflexes allow you to grab the worm and hold it. Dont pull just yet, just hold the initial VERY STRONG pull of the worm. Then the worm will relax so that it can get a better grip, this is when you pull the bugger out of the hole.

Its very challenging, and you may miss many before you get one and believe me you will be cheering when you do get one. Finally, dont use worming pliers, as they kill the worm, and watch out for the worms teeth! They can bite im told. Though ive never seen this happen.

Best of luck - let us know how you go. You will have fun i guarentee it!

Fishinboy ... where do you live? If you are on or near the northern beaches then I could show you?? Like johblw said, it is an artform that takes good technique and a lot of practice!!

Cheers

Mike

hey all, wondering how i would watch sandworms, live ... i could buy them each time i do they are frozen and are completely crap, so im asking for some advice on this topic, i need to know where i could catch them, how and what equipment ill need and where i could possibly buy the equipment, this assistance is much appreciated

Thanks in Advance

Fishinboy

Fishinboy ... where do you live? If you are on or near the northern beaches then I could show you?? Like johblw said, it is an artform that takes good technique and a lot of practice!!

Cheers

Mike

ummm i see, yea idont know im near liverpool :P so yea, either way i always thought you used a Bait Pump to catch sandworms, maybe im wrong and if i am, i bought this basterd for nothing :( most unfortunate i suppose, alas thats life... thanks alot guys

ummm i see, yea idont know im near liverpool :P so yea, either way i always thought you used a Bait Pump to catch sandworms, maybe im wrong and if i am, i bought this basterd for nothing :( most unfortunate i suppose, alas thats life... thanks alot guys

mate a great alternative is to pump yabbies... the pump is not a waste at all and yabbies are easy to find and make great baits. try around the port hacking sand flats of mainbar and bunddeena area plenty of yabbies around here and good fishing!

cheers pk

Edited by pk-fishn

You can use a pump to catch other types of worms.

I havent chased them up here but we catch squirt worms on the flats of the Shoalhaven river using a nipper pump. I would imagine that with a little bit of exploration you can find a nice Georges River flat with worms on it somewhere down towards Liverpool they just wouldnt be sand (beach) worms.

Beach worming is real hard . i catch 1 to my mates 5, but low to mid tide is best. One thing I do know for sure is don't bother when there is wind!! It makes it ALMOST impossible.

Good luck with the worming. Send a PM to "Roberta". She is a bit of a legend at it.

davo

Hi guy's.

I'm heading to Dee Why on Saturday for a beach fish. Can anyone tell me if the good old drag a piece of rotten meat over the worm holes and grab them as they come up method would work on that beach? Are there alot of beach worms on Dee Why beach or any of the northern beaches?

Cheers.

Mark

Hi guy's.

I'm heading to Dee Why on Saturday for a beach fish. Can anyone tell me if the good old drag a piece of rotten meat over the worm holes and grab them as they come up method would work on that beach? Are there alot of beach worms on Dee Why beach or any of the northern beaches?

Cheers.

Mark

Hi Mark

I live at Dee Why and have just come back from getting some beach worms on Narrabeen Beach - straight down from the little car park on the right just north of the fire station (across the road from the servo). There are heaps there, but it takes a little time (I am not the best at it!!).

Haven't tried at Dee Why Beach.

Cheers

Mike

Guest IFishSick.

As said above you put your forefinger under the belly of the worm and the thumb around the back of its head. Slide your fingers slowly down the worm and when it arches its back grab it.

DO NOT use fish to keep the worms head up. It will take one bite and never come back up. Use a dryish pipi as these are a lot stronger and harder for the worm to bite meat off it.

Yes the worms do bite it hurts a bloody lot for the size of their mouths!!! :wife:

Hi Mark

I live at Dee Why and have just come back from getting some beach worms on Narrabeen Beach - straight down from the little car park on the right just north of the fire station (across the road from the servo). There are heaps there, but it takes a little time (I am not the best at it!!).

Haven't tried at Dee Why Beach.

Cheers

Mike

Cheers for the tip Mike, i might just head up Narra to get my worms then. Although you'd think if they were at Narra that they'd be at Dee Why. I might give Dee Why a go too and let you know how i go.

Cheers,

Mark

Guest johblow

Can anyone tell me if the good old drag a piece of rotten meat over the worm holes and grab them as they come up method would work on that beach?

Hahahaha gee you make it sound easy Costa :-)

IFish - interesting point about the pipie - that may be where i am goign wrong in my technique, as i wasnt relying on the bait to help pull the buggers at all. With these guys you need any advantage you can get! :-)

A piece of squid or octopus is also great as it is real tough!! Another tip is to put elastplast (the bandage type) around your fingers as it helps you get a good grip on the big greasies. If you still can't get them use worming pliers. They are good but they damage the worms a bit more and they don't stay live for as long. Like everything - the worms will show up just about anywhere. Worming is a hard art to learn but once mastered pays big dividends on the beaches.

Good luck

davo

mate a great alternative is to pump yabbies... the pump is not a waste at all and yabbies are easy to find and make great baits. try around the port hacking sand flats of mainbar and bunddeena area plenty of yabbies around here and good fishing!

cheers pk

Hmm planning to go to bundeena soon, firstly where abouts do these yabbies hang out and secondly seeing as the pump is sitting there as decoration at the moment i have no clue how to use the basterd either, any more tips about locations in bundeena or how to use the bait pump would be appreciated greatly

Cheers FishinBoy

hey guys, longtime reader first time poster!

i am really interested in beach fishing and learning to catch worms , but i wouldn't have a clue on where to go and what to look for on the beach. i was planning on fishing little manly point tonight but if anyone is going worming around that area who wouldnt mind showing me, I would be more than thankful if i could come along and see how its done.

hey guys, longtime reader first time poster!

i am really interested in beach fishing and learning to catch worms , but i wouldn't have a clue on where to go and what to look for on the beach. i was planning on fishing little manly point tonight but if anyone is going worming around that area who wouldnt mind showing me, I would be more than thankful if i could come along and see how its done.

I do believe the self proclaimed masters of this art should organise an outing to show us younger, less wiser people the fine art of sandworm catching, i know id probably attend if i had the chance :)

Hmm planning to go to bundeena soon, firstly where abouts do these yabbies hang out and secondly seeing as the pump is sitting there as decoration at the moment i have no clue how to use the basterd either, any more tips about locations in bundeena or how to use the bait pump would be appreciated greatly

Cheers FishinBoy

Go to Maianbar they have the best and biggest supply of nippers(until the pros kill it).

The easiest way is to get yourself a large plastic sieve from a tackle shop and then tape some foam around it so it floats.

Then hit the flats on a rising tide go out to where the water is (pumping on damp sand with no water covering it is hard yacka) put the pump in what looks like a nipper hole and fire away. Simply keep filling your sieve up and letting the water wash the sand out of it.

With the use of the sieve it means you dont actually have to worry too much about being precise with the tides. You can still pump with the water up above knee height.

Cheers

Dave