Kings, Kings, Kings

netic

Hey guys,

After a unsuccessful game fishing session yesterday i decided to get back to what i know Kings, My mate called me up and said he wanted to get his father in law to be onto some fish so i said lets head to Port Kembla to rip into them.

We met up at 4.30am and heading south and got to the ramp at about 6.00am, Met up with Big Steve in his boat and we headed to the bait grounds.

Picked up around 30 yakkas pretty fast on Sabiki's and headed out to the island.

Sounded out the area for about an hour with the odd bit of activity but no touches when the bait went down, decided to anchor up for a while, threw out the baits and no action for the next 30 minutes......Got bored pretty quick (cant stand anchoring) so i got back to finding them and about five minutes later we find some kings on the sounder, throw the baits down aqnd a double hook up....Both fish are boated...one is 61cm and the other is 63cm.

We continue to work the area and catch another 4 kings, 1 legal and 3 undersized( all released) .

Then it goes pretty quiet for a while, i contact steve and he tells me he was smoked by 2 kings so i work the area where he is for a while.

I notice some activity pretty fast and we sent down the yakkas.....then the tekota 800 starts screaming...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz..... we knew instantly it was a good fish.....Juiced lock the drag and he continues to run.......all he could do was hold on...then a quick jerk and he turned him and started getting some line back.....after a good tug of war we see colour and then he runs again....taking 15 metres of line in 5 seconds....Juiced turn him again and this time gets him to the boat.......quick net job and he's in.....measured at 90cm and it a nice fat specimen.....must of been 7-8kgs easy as i caught a 90cm skinny specimen that came in at 6.4kg a few months back. Well done Juiced

We are all pumped now so we work the same area....within minutes another big hit....starts screaming again and we work through the same process again....this time we get to see colour and he runs again....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....poppp...F...CKKKKKKKK .......is all you can hear...bring the line up to see that the 65lb braid main line was reefed so shit happens....

Then as we are still recovering from the last bust off the other tekota 800 goes off....and this one really starts screaming....full lock of drag and shes still letting out line at an alarming rate but this rod has 50lb mono so we feel confident....after around 20 seconds this baby is still pulling out line like crazy and the dreaded noise again.....popppp....bring the line up and the mono main line has shavens all over it...bastard reefed us again...now this one would have been massive as it was much more powerful.

Now we get the big guns out....Tiagra 30w we bought along for a mako....Try taking line off this at sunset we think....we work the area and nothing hits and then the NE' er kicks in and wwe call it a day.

All in all a great day and my mates Father in Law is spewing cause he lost one of the big kings but he did land one of the legals so he did get onto his first king.

Edited by netic

TOP day today oz

thanks for all the tips and info :thumbup:

YOUR a LENGEND mate, pleasure fishing with ya..

i will kick ya butt soon enuf and out do the meter mark :074::074:

mayb i can keep dreamin aye i aint givin up on these bloody machines my torsa needs to be FULLY

tested with a HOOD!!

all in all a gr8 day out thanks again mate..

p.s MAYBE WE SHOULD CALL UP TEAM TURKS and get out there again soon.. haha

cheers steve

:1fishing1:

Guest Reel Addiction (Sea Jay)

Awsome fish mate would have been an awsome fight might have to take a trip down there soon, where you thinking of heading down again soon????

After all this fruitless game fishing might have to get back to the faithful kingies, i love eating them to they would prob be my favourite fish to get a feed of!!!!

Well done again mate

Edited by Reel Addiction (Sea Jay)

Great report, nice fish. Don't you just love how hard these fish fight.

I've yet to be reefed by a big King, but I am sure it will happen one day. That feeling of helplessness, when the line peels off your reel, and there's nothing you can do to stop it .....

Netic,

Great report! :thumbup: and Nice Kings. :1yikes:

I normally get my livies from around the Jetties in the harour, but it takes a lot of hard work :wacko: .

I would really appreciate it if you could point me in the directon of the bait grounds. Any tips as to how to catch em?

Evets

Nice fish NETIC,but it seems to me that fisherman are constantly getting bigger and better kings,up at terrigal and down south.

Trying to work out why here in sydney most are just under size or just legal,seem to get the odd bigger ones ,but not to many.

Nice fish NETIC,but it seems to me that fisherman are constantly getting bigger and better kings,up at terrigal and down south.

Trying to work out why here in sydney most are just under size or just legal,seem to get the odd bigger ones ,but not to many.

mind u there were a NUMBER of throw back kings, JUST under legal..

its just a waiting game and plenty of GOOD LUCK to go with it

worse thing is knowing theres big 1's there but its ALWAYS the rats that beat

them to the bait.. just gotta be lucky

steve