Kings, Ambers, Rain, Tooth And Wind

namesay

Hi raiders, We went out today to get some fish for a couple of mates of mine. This of course means that fishing will be tough! And the pressure is On.

I set off this morning with son #1 to fish Pittwater and Barrenjoey. Got the ramp early to be greeted with a 10knot northerly. Not too bad I thought and went to get our squid. I got my electric motor back yesterday and it has made squidding so much more effective. My son gets a squid first cast and both of us bag out on squid. We get a bucket load real quick.

I nosed our way to Barrenjoey not knowing what to expect. I met Jon there. He finally bought some Yozuris :thumbup: I hope you got some! The swell was up with chop on top. The worst was the water temp which at the time was 17C! This is north atlantic stuff.

Got my downrigger out and trolled. No hits but, we get a school of salmon busting around the boat. I always have a rigged sluggo at hand so we cast them to the salmon. We get a hit straight away and get another 2 before the school sounds. The water was so grey that we decide to try pittwater.

Pittwater was like a marine desert. We got a spotted mackeral there a few weeks ago but NO kings today. Saw a couple of commercial fishermen working their traps. I thought it was illegal for them to work their traps on a weekend or a public holiday :ranting2: . Tried spot after spot only to find pickers. After a couple of hours I decided to pull the pin.

I had a quick discussion with son#1 and we both agreed that it would be a sin to waste such good bait like live squid and we needed a fish for TOny and Mick. So after a quick lunch we went off to Roseville. During luch my son loses his front tooth! Looks great in photos :biggrin2:

Arrived at about noon to find the whole Middle Harbour looking like the boat show. There was every tom dick and harry there. Even the charter boys were anchored and soaking bait. Things didn't look too promising as no one was catching anything but I decided to try a spot I got wiped out a couple of days ago.

The wind and rain was coming down by now but I got a hit straight away. I thought I had him but the hooks pulled! This fish is a genuine pain the backside and he has done it to me a couple of times in the last few days now but I'll get him! Tried to coax him into taking another bait but he wasn't interested.

post-2057-1168159742_thumb.jpg

You can see 2 kingies here sulking deep!

I moved to another spot out of the worst of the wind and see Barrykrocker. Boy you guys have a nice NEW boat. It is a shame to get it dirty with fish blood,squid ink and guts!! Anyhow I get a strike. The fish was small at 65cm but it broke the drought. Atleast I had a fish for my mates..even if it was only 1 fillet each.

post-2057-1168159588_thumb.jpg

I set out to troll this area again and we get another strike. It too is a small fish about the same size. Pass after pass we get hits and finally land 5 fish. I get a phone call from my wife that her neice is here from Qld and she needs a fish to make sushi! We keep 3 for the table.

Now that the pressure is off I go hunting for some hoods. Weekends are a waste of time after 10am as there is too much boat traffic but I try a couple of spots. We get a hit and my son gets onto the rod real fast. He lands a different type of fish. Turns out to be an amberjack of 52cm

post-2057-1168160023_thumb.jpg

It was his first amberjack and he was over the moon. Loves them "brown"kingfish. I put another bait and it too gets hit by an amberjack. This one is slightly smaller and we release it.

post-2057-1168160124_thumb.jpg

By now we had enough fun for a day!

I am going off to Perth this week to jig for samsons. Hopfully I will have the seriola trinity by the end of the week-Kings, amberjack and samsons!!

post-2057-1168160632_thumb.jpgA nice picture when you have to produce the goods. Cheers Kelvin

I must thank you Netic for the magic spray :1worthy::1worthy::1worthy: Boy it has made a HUGE difference to catching bait. Thanks again!!! CHeers Kelvin

Good work kelvin. I was in the Harbour on saturday, but nothing to report. maybe the rain is making the Kings go back outside. What spray are we talking about?

Anyhow, look forward to be on the water this friday. Ill post the results :1prop: Fingers crossed for a first king in 2007, sicne it was zero in 2006.

Awsome report!!

Good to see some AJ's around.

About the sounder pic, are the two kings your referring to pictured around midwater?

Yep!!!

You can see my downrigger coming down. I got it at 6 meters. There is a smaller red arch ( a rat ) just at about 7 meters and a big MUTHA sitting pretty at 12 meters.ON my sounder an arch is a very good sign as it means they are very active and on the prowl. Normally kings show up as ovals. THis is when they are hard to tempt. I know one area that the kings just sit. You can see them on the sounder but they will not bite. ALways show up as ovals!

You'll see that there is a drop off. The bottom on the sounder is all reef that flattens out to a sandy/mud area and the kings just sit on the drop off...like they always do. Sorry about the screen as it was raining and it got smeared with squid slime and fish guts!

I try to get the kings to come up to the bait rather than go down to them. Hard to get those big ones turned around if you go too deep. Also I find if you go too deep the blasted snapper and bream have a go at your squid! Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

great work kelvin,

has the new boat hit the water yet?

CFD

The new Noble is due to hit Sydney on 22nd of this month for its Yamaha motor.Should be on the water within that week. There was a bit of a delay with holidays and this stupid thing called Christmas! Originally I was hoping to get the boat on the water in December but it wasn't to be. Still getting plenty on my trusty Trailcraft!

You guys should come out sometime when the new boat is good and ready! Cheers Kelvin

Good work kelvin. I was in the Harbour on saturday, but nothing to report. maybe the rain is making the Kings go back outside. What spray are we talking about?

Anyhow, look forward to be on the water this friday. Ill post the results :1prop: Fingers crossed for a first king in 2007, sicne it was zero in 2006.

This magic spray has been a godsend. The best thing to happen in squidding since Yozuri!!! I am getting my squid a lot quicker. Netic introduced me to it. I don't even know the name properly. It all in Japanese. Perhaps you should ask him???...Netic! CHeers Kelvin

Well done once again Kelvin,

and good luck over in WA,hope

u get that Samson fish ur after.

penguin

Hey Penguin, when I was cleaning the fish I found a couple of LARGE PRAWNS in their stomachs!!! I was just wondering if you have been feeding these kings those prawns again!CHeers Kelvin

Hey Penguin, when I was cleaning the fish I found a couple of LARGE PRAWNS in their stomachs!!! I was just wondering if you have been feeding these kings those prawns again!CHeers Kelvin

Must have been Botany Bay Kingies then hey,its the only place

i have been feeding em of late :074:

penguin

The spray is called egimax made by egilee......Very hard to find but i do know Tony from Fishfinder Bait and Tackle has a shipment coming in of them (there maybe already in).

Give tony a call and he can let you know.

I must thank you Netic for the magic spray Boy it has made a HUGE difference to catching bait. Thanks again!!! CHeers Kelvin

Mate not a prob...i owe you a few as you pointed me in the right direction in MH

What ever that spray is called, it is worth its weight in gold. I see the squid fighting eachother to get at the jig all the time now. Even when you have a hooked squid another one is trying to get the jig out of tentacles!!! It is bad news for jigs however as the squid tear the jigs apart real quick. Tony must be warming up the till now! Cheers Kelvin

By the way I have tried the prawn trick with jigs. Even used prawns as squid bait .Also used pillies, shrimps ..etc but this spray is the best. Tried almost everything there is to tempt these squid but apart from getting quality jigs, this spray has been the next best thing. It is clean and gets results far better than anything else. Both the glow and non glow stuff work brilliantly.

It costs about $20 and that is the negative side as it lasts about 5-6 trips which for me is about 2 weeks of fishing. I am constantly fighting with my son for the can. But it is worth the money.Cheers Kelvin

Nice one Kelvin, It looked pretty cold and wet out there without your canopy. I'm looking to forward to ge3tting some of those ambers at some point

haha, I'm going to have to get ahold of some of this spray. Plus all Japanese products looks cool due to their crazy graphic design

The same company also amkes some pretty slick looking squid jigs :

http://www.marukyu.com/eng/fishleague/egil...e_flashing.html

Edited by barrykrocker

I left my bimini and clears at home thinking it wouldn't rain and it starts to pour! Yep it was wet alright Danny but when the fish are biting you tend to forget that there is water running down your neck! I wished I was in YOUR boat!. Once again that is one cool looking boat. Atleast I had a couple of rain coats for us but mine leaks! My Noble can't come fast enough..got a hard top so NO worries in the rain.

I love those japanese guys. I still remember seeing my first yozuri squid jig and thinking that it was a piece of crap. Boy was I wrong! But I sometimes think that some of the gear is made to catch the eye of the fisho and not the fish.

My son has been using a brown jig with devastating effect. I have a theory with squid jig colours. Bright days bright lure and dull days dull lure. There are a few black jigs and I want to try them out on a rainy day!Cheers Kelvin

Good Work and great report.

Just joined the site and learning how to squid (with no luck so far) at the moment. You report motivates me even more to keep going at it. Hope you son was OK. Think the fish fairy came and rewarded him for the tooth..

Cheers

Kurt

Good Work and great report.

Just joined the site and learning how to squid (with no luck so far) at the moment. You report motivates me even more to keep going at it. Hope you son was OK. Think the fish fairy came and rewarded him for the tooth..

Cheers

Kurt

My son does more than OK! He is starting to out fish me. I have to fight him off the rod when it goes off all the time. His list of species is growing by the week. I only worry that he'll get dragged into the water by a rampaging king! The kid I can recover but the torsa and the T curve....hmmm.

He is pretty lucky to have these opportunities. Now he is starting to catch up on the squid score as well. Got the first one into the boat yesterday and it took me a few more turns to catch up to him with my yakka yozuri ( Thanks Tony) . He got this new brown yozuri.

Victor at north rocks gave it to him. The brown I thought was a good ploy by Vic to keep me in front of the squid score :thumbup: but it has been the most successful colour! I can't pinch the jig off him now. You can hardly see this jig amongst the kelp but it gets the hits by big and small squid. Also my son has cottoned onto the squid spray and uses it like he didn't have to pay for it!

He wants to go jigging for samsons but the charter operator has told him he is too young. Got to be 8 so he is DYING to get to this age. When I was his age I was happy just to catch a maddo and thought I had a really good day if I got a yakka!!!! Talk about being spoilt.

I just hope I stay infront as I don't want to be outfished by a 6 year old let alone my 4 year old. :074: CHeers Kelvin

Great report there Kelvin, :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to the day my little one would catch his first Kingy... :1fishing1:

Best of luck in WA,

and as one Great man (Al Bevan) say to me on my fist sambo jigging trip, " go find a brick wall and run in to it a few times :1wallbash::1wallbash: , cos thats how your going to feel at the end of the day" Make sure you have a good pair of gloves, and gimbol with a back strap, you'll need them, trust me

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave, I am hoping I get to land a few while over there. I was talking to the guys who will take me out and they are telling me that the samsons are on. Hey isn't Al Bevan the guy who started all of this Samson jigging in WA?

Been working out for this trip, the biceps are looking ok. I'll have to run into a couple of brick walls today to complete my training. I tell you what is worse, it is jigging for over 8 hours and NOT catching anything. This is like being beaten up by Mike Tyson. CHeers Kelvin