Slimie Mackeral Bait Grounds?

costello

Hey guy's.

Just got back from a trip down Narooma and was curious to know if there are any grounds where Slimies frequent in Sydney Harbour or up Barrenjoey way? Loads of them down south and the Kings couldn't get enough of them. As far as i've heard they're more common in Southern waters than up this way but i'm not 100% sure.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by costa

They are pretty common at the "Kingfish Carpark" during summer( Yellow Marker boy at North Head. When i first moved to Sydney there were so many boats fishing there it looked like a carpark)

They are not their in big balls like you find them offshore, so bait jigs are not as effective. They are also

great for the fishing newbies on the boat to catch, and a good starting point for them to try pulling in a

fish that doesnt just let itself be skull dragged through the watter.

Just start a minced fish flesh/tuna oil berley trail, The best berley to use seems to be minced slimies.

I buy them from the fish markets, minced them up with a little bit of tuna oil and bran, then freeze them in a 2 litre coke bottle with the neck cut off.Then just drop this in your burley muncher or in a mesh bag and it will last for hours letting out little bits of fish burley. The more boats burleying the better.

The best lures to use are little 5g/15g metal lures that look like whitebait

with either blue/silver or green/silver.

Just cast the lure as far back into your burley trail as you can, let it sink then wind in at varying speeds.

They are pretty suicidal, so If you dont catch one within 15 minutes of setting your burley trail and tossing lures for them, or soaking a bait they probally arent there. They also seem to feed all stages of the tide.

The best bait for them is a fresh slice of one you just caught.

They seem to go nuts over eating their bretheren....

I guess after the school has been smashed up by predators the remaining slimies eat the left overs!

They are probally all around north head during the summer, fish burley is the key to success

They are great fun on light gear -Just remember to be careful if fishing with a light rod to have the drag set and dont leave it unattended. The big ones have a uncanny ability to snap light lines and one of the few fish that can snap rods as they pull really hard straight down for their size, and if you happen to hook a 40-50cm model with a tight drag,a heavy line and on your light bait catching stick you might end up with a busted rod.

(I've seen it happen to an experienced fishing mate and his IM6 Graphite loaded with braid....)

PPSGT

If I buy slimies at Chatswood or the Fishmarkets maybe $7 per kilo - Out in outer suburbs at the more

dodgy "fresh" fish shops I've bought them for as low as $4 per kilo.

Yakkas work ok for making berley but they are not as soft as the slimies going through the mincer.

If I buy slimies at Chatswood or the Fishmarkets maybe $7 per kilo - Out in outer suburbs at the more

dodgy "fresh" fish shops I've bought them for as low as $4 per kilo.

Yakkas work ok for making berley but they are not as soft as the slimies going through the mincer.

$7.00 / kg :1yikes::1yikes:

I paid $4.99 / kg at the local fish shop the other day & complained they were too expensive. Must admit they were very fresh & top quality.

Have purchased lesser quality at the same shop a few months back for $2.99 / kg.

I think it depends what they have on the day & how long they have been in stock.

When used for berley , suspect it is all the same to the fish.

The other one to keep an eye out for is Stripy Tuna. Similiar soft skin & flesh

Geoff

I get my slimies off north head and between the heads. Just motor around and there are almost always a school or 6 around. Just drop a bait jig and within seconds you'll have your slimies. THey are a bit harder to get inside than "out the front". Often you'll see them on the surface slurping microscopic stuff but normally you''ll see dense bait balls. Just got to be a bit careful when you have a bait jig full of slimies as it can get smashed by the local kings! Cheers Kelvin

• 6 months later...

Hey guys,

do you have any specific method to targeting the slimies rather than yakka's???? we can get tones of yakkas in all different sizes but i never seem to be able to crack it for the slimies... Would be good to have two sorts of quality live bait not just one!

Thanks guys!