Clifton Gardens Kingie 8/1/07

monk

Hey Guys,

As you guys probably know, through reports from KingsRule and Hiramasa, Clifton Gardens is doing pretty well for small kingies. I headed there today at about 11am and was met with rain and strong on-shore winds, this wasnt going to be comfortable, but I thought since I made the effort to come, might as well give it a shot.

Fished for 1.5hrs without much, the wind was being a pain and I was getting hungry. Had a chat with a couple of boys there, and heard that a couple of kingies and bonito were caught in the morning, unfortunately nothing much was happening on the end of my line.

There were a couple of ppl there catching small trevs and bream on bait (anyone know what soft plastics to use on trevs?). However, on one occasion when a trev was pulled in, it was followed by a kingie. So I went over and chucked over the SP that I had on.... BANG it got smashed and it put a nice curve into my bream gear... relised no one had a net so I had to slowly fight it and bring it to the steps around the corner.. after a bit of a stuggle, I managed to land it with the help of a couple of onlookers. Took a couple of pics with the camera phone, which I wont bother posting (crappy quality) and gave it to one of the ppl that helped land it.

All up it was 62cm, and it was my first kingfish on SP. It was taken on a 3" Gulp Minnow in Smelt, on 4lb fireline and 8lb leader. Thank you to those blokes out there that gave me a hand landing it. I was pretty stoked and am eager to try for another soon.

The kingfish social is looking to be an awesome day, even for those LB.

Byron (aka monk) :1fishing1:

Nice catch there Byron, the best fun on light gear. As for the SPs for Trevally, I've caught them on the Gulp Pumpkinseed (the stinky stuff), just remember that they have softish mouth and can pull the hooks quite easily... I've lost some bigguns due to impatience :mad3: !

Fuj.

Edited by Fuj

Hey guys,

I am normally involved in the game and reef fishing aspect of our wonderful sport, however occasionally i do some land-based fishing. I have only found one spot that consistently holds fish and was wondering where this spot is actually located and how i can get there to give it a try?

Thanks for the help,

The Guru

Hmmmmm if the kingys are following up hooked trevs's,,,, I be tempted to put a small trev down for a big kingy,,,,, Heard they were good live bait for the bigger kings.

Two summers ago a mate of ours got a nice kingy of 10kg plus at nth head on a small trev.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Many sounds an people pi@# me off but that (Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) is the one sound I will never get bored of. :1prop:

Dan