Downrigger Setups

Osprey Rider

Hi Guys,

I am just setting up a downrigger which I have just inherited, it is minus the bomb and the release clips and am trying to work out what size bomb to use and any suggestions on release clips.

Do you carry two different sized bombs due to the stength of the current flow and also is the tension on the release clip adjustable to suit trolling different baits or lures.

I will be using it in Jervis Bay and Pittwatter and trolling squid, yakkas,slimies and lures. I have a 525 Alum boat with a 90hp Merc which i can get a really nice slow trolling speed out of it, but your thoughts on trolling speed would be appreciated as well.

Thanks Guys.

Steve.

Edited by Osprey Rider

you can pick up a scotty DR clip from most tackle stores..

try tony from fishfinder bait n tackle he did have some a few weeks ago when i was in there..

with the bombs ull need a 7lb or 9lb.. 7 being plenty for pitty i would imagine..

best bet give tones a call he will steer u in the right diriection...

cheers steve :1fishing1:

is it possible to use a downrigger when fishing on your own. Obviously you cant fight a fish and raise the bomb at the same time. How likely is the bomb and cable to interfere with landing the fish.

I fish on my own 95% of the time (i like the solitude) and these concerns are the only reason i havent invested in a dwnrigger.

is it possible to use a downrigger when fishing on your own. Obviously you cant fight a fish and raise the bomb at the same time. How likely is the bomb and cable to interfere with landing the fish.

I fish on my own 95% of the time (i like the solitude) and these concerns are the only reason i havent invested in a dwnrigger.

Its a lot easier with 2, but you can - with practice do it yourself.

With my scotty 1050 it has a break mechanism, with 1 hand on the rod, release the break with you elbow/wrist while holding the handle and wind in at the same time as the fish is on the rod - is as hard as it sounds.

Mate, a 7lb bomb will do fine, will cover PIttwater and JB, you will only need the heavier bombs when offshore.

Normally you will set the bait back as far as you can, but always be aware that the further back it is the harder it will be to manuvuer the boat around, through moorings and anchored boats.

I generally set my bait back around 4-5 metres.

In relation to bringing it up by yourself it is quite easy, i normally fish with a mate and we run 2 riggers, so when we get on i will bring one up while holding the fish and he will bring the other rigger up and also steer the boat in the right direction.

The steering part is more important, many people will get into the fight and forget about the boats position, especially if your in amonsgt moorings.

I recommend as soon as you get hit to steer away from all hazards first, dont worry about the fish he will stay on, as soon as you are clear grab the rod and bring up the rigger with the other hand, then enjoy your fight.