Keeping Live Bait Alive

Guest IFishSick.

Guest IFishSick.

After just getting back from a great holiday in Port Stephen's would like some help in fixing a little livebait tank issue. Being the first time I've been live baiting problems were bound to occur.

After thinking we were the kings at getting live bait by being the only boat of about 20 to be in and out in 5 minutes with a full tank we were pretty stoked. But the problem is that while the boat is going anywhere at or above trolling speed the saltwater pump doesn't go which we realised too late.

When we arrived at the Port Stephen's FAD we found the Yakka's alright but the prime bait of Slimey's and Squid had all carked it but one slimey. Pain in the ass :wife:

Could you help me to fix this or will it just be one of those things that you have to stop every couple of kilometers and throw 3 - 4 buckets of water through the 15L tank to get some air to the fish?

I would like to fix this before going on my next trip to Brown's Mountain if possible.

Edited by IFishSick.

Hiya

Mate I have the same issue, my pump sits right on the transom so on the plan it is out of the water.

There is an off the shelf fix, which I am going to do as well. Basically it is a 90deg bracket, that has a small diameter pipe that comes down just below te hull at planning spped, it acts as a funnel to catch the water and based on traveling speed pushes it up thought to the tank,

The only issue I have heard and maybe someone could clarify is that if u mount the pump directly over this and have have it running when u r motoring the force of water can b greater than the rpm of the unit and can cook the pump, ????? sounds plausible?

I am planning to mount mine off ceneter and run a second pipe up the ransom with a value.

Jon

Ive got the same set up that Jon jjsydney describes.

The 2 major chain marine chandlerys in Sydney sell a stainless transom bracket with the angled scoop arrangement. They are about $40. Im using a Rule 500gph pump.

The pump sits right on top of the scoop and while on the plane the water just forces its way thru the pump impellor and lets enough water thru to keep the bait alive. There is no need to switch the pump on while on the plane.

I never thought it would work, but it does :) It was on the boat when i got it.

Yakkas are normally pretty hardy and keep pretty well..

People tell me squid are hard to keep alive.

Ive go no experience with Slimies though.

I too need to change my set up as is is the same.

But i don't think it is nessasary to remove/change the current pump if you - like me have a though transom pump, all that im going to do is add the stainless steel pickup to the transom attact some tubing to it and into the well.

Use the pump with still, and when moving the pickup should keep the water flowing.

May need to regulate the flow of water from the pickup as i have heard that it can come in quicker than it drains from the well.

Im sure there are others here that can offer more/better advice.

May need to regulate the flow of water from the pickup as i have heard that it can come in quicker than it drains from the well.

Ive got 3/4" hose running up from the scoop. And a 1 1/4" drain. It drains fine. I guess it all depends on what diameter the scoop tube is too. Or if your boat is capable of 40 knots + !

Guest IFishSick.

That sounds like a good fix, thanks guys for helping me out with that.

Yes Squid are hard to keep alive, they don't last 2 minutes out of the water.

As for Slimey's I know now they don't keep well in the tank, but while being trolled on a hook they stay alive all day! One rod had a Yakka on and died within 1 and 1/2 hours whereas the Slimey was still swimming hard at the end of the day. Go figure.

ive got the same system with the angle bracket and pump on top, all i do is when i am moving switch the pump off as it water will be forced into the tank and when you finally stop and and in postion, turn the pump back on, works fine no problems

my only problem is finding a suitable container to use as a tank.

there are ones that they sell at most boat shps but they r very expensive for wat they r, i tend to use a small plastic rubbish bin style container but i am trying to find something a little better design not to expensive as i wanna get a downrigger :mfr_lol:

so if anyone has any tips on what i can use , maybee some pics would be very helpful. Ive got all the plumbing sorted out i just need to find a good size container.

cheers

craig

ive got the same system with the angle bracket and pump on top, all i do is when i am moving switch the pump off as it water will be forced into the tank and when you finally stop and and in postion, turn the pump back on, works fine no problems

my only problem is finding a suitable container to use as a tank.

there are ones that they sell at most boat shps but they r very expensive for wat they r, i tend to use a small plastic rubbish bin style container but i am trying to find something a little better design not to expensive as i wanna get a downrigger :mfr_lol:

so if anyone has any tips on what i can use , maybee some pics would be very helpful. Ive got all the plumbing sorted out i just need to find a good size container.

cheers

craig

I got one off ebay - 50litres for $105.

Recently on a charter boat in Forster they had a plastic garbage bin plumbed up as a live tank - cheap as

Guest fishrunner

G'day,

I use a similar set-up with scoop below the pump, I use an inline valve to control the flow rate when on the plane as when travelling the water really comes through under pressure and I prefer to slow it down a bit.

Here's a pic of the scoop with pump, It's also on a sliding bracket which lets me sit it right between the ribs to try and stop weed and things blocking it. :1prop:

post-647-1168860462_thumb.jpg

I just use a box from the 2 dollar shop and converted it,- holds 80 ltrs which is more then enough, with a seperate pump to recirculate and empty the well., squid are fine as well.

post-647-1168861137_thumb.jpg

hope this helps, I'll try and find an exterior shot of the well , but all it is is a white plastic box that fitted the area I had

cheers

My mounting & pick up is the same as fishrunner. Thought a photo of the internal plumbing may be of interest.

The pump can feed either the LBT or deck wash by turning the inline tap just next to DW off take.

post-731-1168895252_thumb.jpg

In respect to plastic containers , Bunnings carry a large range , worth a visit

Geoff

Hey guys,

My setup is very similiar to the ones shown, I got my tank off ebay for $46 it is a 60l ice box. The pickup supplies plenty of water while underway and I also installed a garden 2 way splitter which I can change the flow of the water and use it as a deck wash. In the tank I used a piece of 16mm conduit as the aerator which I drilled aseries of holes along the conduit.

Guest IFishSick.

Thanks for all the help guys, the pictures made it really simple for me to know what I'm looking for and how to do it. :thumbup: