Buoyancy Foam

Guest johblow

Guest johblow

Gday people :-)

Im well and truly into a extreme makeover of my tinnie - i have some pictures and was thinking of starting a thread about it, with progress reports and photos - i may do it if there are no objections... Anyhow, the thing is stripped right back pretty much. Great time to have it out of service... NOT!!! Well, i only have to paint it now, then put all the fittings back on. Half of the hard work has been done in cleaning the bugger up and getting old paint and fittings off. Its been fun mostly...

I pulled up the old carpet this morning, and unscrewed some marine ply to reveal the buoyancy foam, which was neatly wrapped like Xmas presents in black plastic. The dirt and crap that was under there...! Anyhow, the foam had some damage - it looked as though a rat had tried a bit of it, and also there are these weird melted effects on the bottom of two of the bits. I dont know where these originated, but it looks like it could have been during cutting, or some substance abuse? Foam does melt during chemical attack, but i cant see how only two bits would be affected.

Im considering replacing it, but dont know where to buy it or how much it would cost. Does anyone know if it is special foam - would Clarke Rubber have the right stuff?

The ply looks in ok nik, so ill leave it alone - anyone know how to get contact adhesive off wood???!!!

Cheers,

Jon

Guest johblow

Jon Is it foam like sponge rubber or the white poly styrene. It should be poly styrene

Check out the Yellow pages , there is quite a selection of PS suppliers.

Geoff

Cool, Geoff - so there is nothing special about it? I guess it just has to float and not degrade! After having a second look at the stuff, it looks like the damage i was talking about is intentional, to make it fit the shape of the hull. Pretty crappy job by the mfr....!

The melting effect you mention could be from petrol, which will destroy styrene foam. Thats the normal method of floatation, but you can buy foam which is not affected by fuel; All I know is that when a boat is built to survey standard they use "green foam" which is not affected by fuel. I don't know where you get it but try 'grippy rubber' at Rydalmere.

Hey man

dad is doing up a fishing boat too, although its probably a bit bigger than ur tinny.

he is gonna use an expanding foam for under the floor which is like what they would put in the ends of a canoe etc.

it comes in 20 litre drums where we get it and apparently you mix it wth sumthin and pour it into the hole. it then expands and fills the gaps with the excess coming out of any holes. this can be cut off when it sets.

If you need any more info PM me and ill ask dad and his boat builder mate. theyre currently busy :beersmile::drunk:

Adam

It is essential that whatever foam system you use it must be a "closed cell" foam. Foams that are not closed cell act like a sponge.

You can buy a two part liquid pouring foam from any fibreglass supply place, like FGI in Brookvale.(9938 7222)

There is also a company that used to do this material and may still do. They supplied not only the materials but also cast blocks. I used to build commercial life rafts with the stuff.

Foamed Insulations Pty Ltd

39 Bridge St Rydalmere 2116

(02) 9898 0751